Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed, random or unwanted forceful input from the LKA (ELK) system. Have you reported it to the dealer? What was their response? Anybody been in an accident or near accident as a result?

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Please verify that you own an I-Pace jjudkins, and if so, under what circumstances this has occurred to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a 2019 Black HSE. I have had the vehicle since September of 2019. Since that time I have experienced continual, unpredictable, unwarranted input from the driver assistance system. It has included forceful steering input that has pushed the car towards oncoming traffic, and other lanes of traffic. All such events took place without encroachment of traffic control devices. Has anyone else experienced this? What has been your dealers response?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
300 Posts
I have experienced it occasionally while driving on the 880 through Oakland and San Leandro, generally around construction, but never in a way that caused a near accident (mainly because I have a firm grip on the wheel). If my grip was relaxed and I was driving on an undivided highway it would have been a problem.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
Welcome jjudkins. Seems you have only commented on the "driver assistance" components recently.
Please bear in mind there are two separate systems - LKA (lane keep assist) and emergency lane keeping. The former may be turned off or set to either vibrate or steer. The latter restarts everytime you start the vehicle and only activates when you are in danger of running off the edge of the road or crossing into an occupied lane.
Which in particular are you having problems with? How are you distinguishing the two?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Solution is easy, turn of LKA. That's what I've done. In many cars these autonomous devices simply don't work as desired. It was no different with my Tesla. If it doesn't work right, I turn it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome jjudkins. Seems you have only commented on the "driver assistance" components recently.
Please bear in mind there are two separate systems - LKA (lane keep assist) and emergency lane keeping. The former may be turned off or set to either vibrate or steer. The latter restarts everytime you start the vehicle and only activates when you are in danger of running off the edge of the road or crossing into an occupied lane.
Which in particular are you having problems with? How are you distinguishing the two?
To be honest the car is having random difficulty making "running off the road" choices to save my life. Its input is random, forceful, and has taken place during a dangerous situation more than once. The dealer claims that its normal. I am finding a growing number of people who have been caught off guard. And honestly the LKA, rarely activates as well. I actually spent the money and have hours of test videos. Just curious who else has a concern about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solution is easy, turn of LKA. That's what I've done. In many cars these autonomous devices simply don't work as desired. It was no different with my Tesla. If it doesn't work right, I turn it off.
You shouldn't have to turn something this dangerous off every time you turn the car on.. for 5 months the dealer told me it could be turned off permanently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have experienced it occasionally while driving on the 880 through Oakland and San Leandro, generally around construction, but never in a way that caused a near accident (mainly because I have a firm grip on the wheel). If my grip was relaxed and I was driving on an undivided highway it would have been a problem.
Have you discussed with your dealer?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
300 Posts
Have you discussed with your dealer?
I have not. From what I've seen, the dealers have no ability to change what JLR does, and the techs frequently don't even know how to deal with the advanced systems in the car, other than reset or recalibrate the equipment.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You shouldn't have to turn something this dangerous off every time you turn the car on.. for 5 months the dealer told me it could be turned off permanently.
But until (and if) a solution is found, keeping it on with the experience you've had, makes little sense. There were 'features' on my Tesla that were not ready for prime time. Once I discovered those, I didn't use them. It is what it is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be honest the car is having random difficulty making "running off the road" choices to save my life. Its input is random, forceful, and has taken place during a dangerous situation more than once. The dealer claims that its normal. I am finding a growing number of people who have been caught off guard. And honestly the LKA, rarely activates as well. I actually spent the money and have hours of test videos. Just curious who else has a concern about this.
Perhaps you can give us a specific example of what you are talking about. How fast were you driving, what were the road conditions (dry, wet, snow...), what condition was the edge of the road in (lines clearly marked, faded, non-existent...). The more data we have the better we can understand what is going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys this is what I can tell you about the last time it happened. I also want to say that I enjoy the car and I like the car with the exception of the dealership and manufacturer seeing this as 100% my problem. The first time this feature kills a less experienced driver they may take it more seriously.

Regardless or whether it can or cannot be turned off permanently. The system clearly doesn't function properly. It should not be incumbent upon me to make sure an unsafe completely autonomous function does randomly activate. It usually activates at a very inappropriate time. The car has been parked since December 30th.

The last time it happened was on December 30. Was traveling north bound on an undivided 2 lane highway. It was about 12:30 pm, sunny, and clear. light northerly winds. My speed was between 65-70 mph. The posted speed was 70 mph. There was no traffic in front of me but sporadic oncoming traffic. Ironically, as an 18 wheeler approached the dash lit up and the steering wheel jerked towards the truck. This happened not once but twice. Then on the return trip it happened in almost the exact same spot. According to JLR the car operates as designed. I DID NOT approach or cross the perfectly marked white line on the right.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
46 Posts
Well guys this is what I can tell you about the last time it happened. I also want to say that I enjoy the car and I like the car with the exception of the dealership and manufacturer seeing this as 100% my problem. The first time this feature kills a less experienced driver they may take it more seriously.

Regardless or whether it can or cannot be turned off permanently. The system clearly doesn't function properly. It should not be incumbent upon me to make sure an unsafe completely autonomous function does randomly activate. It usually activates at a very inappropriate time. The car has been parked since December 30th.

The last time it happened was on December 30. Was traveling north bound on an undivided 2 lane highway. It was about 12:30 pm, sunny, and clear. light northerly winds. My speed was between 65-70 mph. The posted speed was 70 mph. There was no traffic in front of me but sporadic oncoming traffic. Ironically, as an 18 wheeler approached the dash lit up and the steering wheel jerked towards the truck. This happened not once but twice. Then on the return trip it happened in almost the exact same spot. According to JLR the car operates as designed. I DID NOT approach or cross the perfectly marked white line on the right.
It is a flaw with the I Pace and yours is more prevalent than others. I wasn’t aware this was something you can turn off, mine does it too

·
Registered
132 Posts
[/QUOTE]

You haven’t driven it for 8 months? Is that because of the unexpected action of the car or is there another reason you aren’t driving it? The only time my car jerks one way or the other is if I drift out of my lane when I am not paying attention enough. Seems to be working as designed but it is certainly exciting when it happens. I must have the ELK turned off as I haven’t experienced what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
.....This happened not once but twice. Then on the return trip it happened in almost the exact same spot.
I am sorry that you haven't been able to enjoy your I-Pace for the last 8 months. These cars are so much fun to drive.
Since the ELK would be responding to something on the outside of the road, this is especially confounding that it would happen at the same spot, but in the opposite direction, on the other side of the road. Was there a radar trap or similar setup at that point? Is it possible the road narrows significantly at that point?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
813 Posts
Any mailboxes, trees, or other change in landscape at that point along the side of the road where this happens?

I have one place not far from me along a road where the car likes to steer left. It is either a mailbox or the shape of the berm that drives it crazy. I haven't determined which is the most influential item. Yes, it is a fairly narrow (minimum width) country road with markings, though they aren't in the best of condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, yesterday had the car rigged with cameras and road tested for a pending lemon law hearing. I truly think the car (this car) is flawed. The ELK doesn't work at all. Except under a weird set of circumstances. Once JLR has been made aware I will share the findings with the group.

YES! The car is quite fun to drive and it has been parked for 8 months because of the unpredictable behavior. I am a car enthusiast and was thrilled to buy the I-Pace but I don't find unwanted or unwarranted input in hairy situations exciting or prudent.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
....The ELK doesn't work at all. Except under a weird set of circumstances. Once JLR has been made aware I will share the findings with the group.
It sounds like you are making progress if you can define this "weird set of circumstances". Perhaps examination of these conditions will lead to either a fix or at least an explanation. Random events are far harder to fix. Looking forward to hearing more details after you share with JLR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts