Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be what wifey wants next. She likes the PHEV. Range is only 22 miles EV, but that'll be enough in every season but the middle of winter for her commuting, and it's not out of line for an SUV of this size. I can't say I've ever been a Mitsubishi fan, but they may have hit the sweet spot. Naturally I'll skip it for a year and see what improves (hopefully the range at least).

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outlander-phev/2019?cid=paid_search_national_brand_outlanderPHEV_bing&KWID=43700040140836806&gclid=CI_lj5jV6eICFfiUxQIdtpMPhQ&gclsrc=ds

With a couple of goodies added on, my build price is $38,405 - easily digestable. I'm a little ticked that black paint is an extra charge (because black cars are a tradition here). I wonder if they can get advice on this from Tesla.

I may be in trouble..... :wink2:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks like a good daily driver, though they are only listing the hybrid MPG at 25, which I thought might be higher. My wife's RAV 4 hybrid gets about 32 combined and up to 36. Looks pretty good. Would like to see the cargo area to make sure they didn't use up space for the battery, which might be why it only seats 5 instead of 7. If you go check it out and crawl around inside, please post your impressions. It's a nice compromise for a second vehicle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a good daily driver, though they are only listing the hybrid MPG at 25, which I thought might be higher. My wife's RAV 4 hybrid gets about 32 combined and up to 36. Looks pretty good. Would like to see the cargo area to make sure they didn't use up space for the battery, which might be why it only seats 5 instead of 7. If you go check it out and crawl around inside, please post your impressions. It's a nice compromise for a second vehicle.
I'll update if/when I go. I'm feeling the urge.

We only need to seat 2, so..... I looked for a photo of the cargo area. Best I could do: https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outlander-phev/2019/features/comfort#cargo-for-all

Thanks for reminding me about RAV4. I've been meaning to see what's new with that.

Edit: no PHEV on RAV4 that I can see. Poo....

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll update if/when I go. I'm feeling the urge.

We only need to seat 2, so..... I looked for a photo of the cargo area. Best I could do: https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outlander-phev/2019/features/comfort#cargo-for-all

Thanks for reminding me about RAV4. I've been meaning to see what's new with that.

Edit: no PHEV on RAV4 that I can see. Poo....
Yep, no PHEV, which is too bad. Plus the hybrid RAV loses the ability to adjust rear seat leg room and takes up some modest space with the battery. I think they would have to redesign a bit for a PHEV.

Thanks for the link

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I gots to know.

Does the front morph into an Autobot or Decepticon?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the PHEV category, these are the only two options that have decent range and can run EV only AFAIK:

The Outlander is quirky (decepticon if it amuses you) but doesn't make me want to vomit like the Clarity, is easier to get in and out of and has 4WD. I could get used to quirky and I have a few tricks for improving it.

I'm getting tired of rubbing my skull on the door opening of our Volt TBH. The interior room is fine otherwise for 2 people. I wouldn't invite anyone to ride in the back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In the PHEV category, these are the only two options that have decent range and can run EV only AFAIK:
2019 Ford Fusion Energi is PHEV and runs on battery alone. We got 25-30 miles on battery in Summer in 2015 Energi but there was no trunk space. We could fit groceries but that's about it. Great car though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2019 Ford Fusion Energi is PHEV and runs on battery alone. We got 25-30 miles on battery in Summer in 2015 Energi but there was no trunk space. We could fit groceries but that's about it. Great car though.
I was looking there today. I must've missed that. I'm not sure the wife will go for it. Her one requirement was a hatch last time. The Volt qualified or I might have been driving a Hyundai Veloster right now (they still catch my eye).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X3 xDrive30e is another possibility, but there are so few details and delivery time estimates go into 2021. No word on price or EPA range numbers.

I hate buying first year models.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'd just surrender my man-card and go with the plug-in mini-van. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40830&id=41133

The van will hit 60 in 7.7s, the Mitu in 9.2s (C&D). Van, 32 mi AER, Mitu 22 mi. On gas, the more powerful, larger van rates at 30 mpg (about what C&D hit at 75mph), and the Mitu at 25 mpg.

Other than looks, the 7 passenger boat seems to be the better all-around choice, even in handling.

If low cost of operation was the key, C&D tested the Equinox Diesel at 43 mpg in the real world.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was looking there today. I must've missed that. I'm not sure the wife will go for it. Her one requirement was a hatch last time. The Volt qualified or I might have been driving a Hyundai Veloster right now (they still catch my eye).
Your wife would have been very unhappy with the trunk space. We loved the mileage as we averaged 62 MPG for the 3 years we owned it but when the lease was up we turned it in. We couldn't take it on more than an overnight trip.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Your wife would have been very unhappy with the trunk space. We loved the mileage as we averaged 62 MPG for the 3 years we owned it but when the lease was up we turned it in. We couldn't take it on more than an overnight trip.
My wife would be very unhappy routinely loading groceries into the back seat.

I'd just surrender my man-card and.....
Never. It may be her daily driver but I have to drive it too. We don't do weak male roles around these parts. She doesn't respect that.

SHE would nix the Pacifica. Besides, I want a little more car in front of her. I don't care how well the Chrysler performs in 35 MPH crash tests.

And it's a commuter car, not a hot rod. 0-60 times aren't on the top of the feature list here. If I want horsepower I'll jump in the 5.3L Silverado.

Ah I see it now, 74 MPGe......

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the link to the carwow review. You can easily see the storage. Makes sense they lost the third row to lift the floor for battery storage. Still looks reasonable for most trips with rear seats up or down. Should be a good daily driver and useful for most big box runs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm kind of struggling with that still. I'd ask the same question of the Mopar minivan. The plain answer is - lack of choices.

After further investigation I think this one is actually too big for my needs. I won't know for sure until I see one. I am surprised that anyone would attempt this in an SUV size.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts