Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Type2 Charging

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  WattAJag 
#1 ·
I was excited to see a free Type2/Mode2 charging box available at one of my nearby grocery stores. Plugged it in and all I ever got was "Initializing" but never got any charge. There was a Hyundai Kona in the slot beside my and that was charging fine. Went back again the next day to try the charge box that the Kona was charging from the day before with the same result. The LEDs on the charge box were blinking orange which obviously states fault. I did notice the charge box was stamped with 32A but I did not see if it was a single phase or setup with 3 phase. Obviously the i-pace can charge at 7.4kw with its onboard AC charger. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I did just see this post here which states that even if the wall box is set at 3 phase charging it should still charge, although at the slower rate. I guess most in this forum are not too familiar with the Type2 Europe style of charging, but still maybe someone has an idea why I wasnt getting any charge at all out of that box or if others have experienced the same.

https://ev-database.org/car/1097/Jaguar-I-Pace#charge-table

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I hit the unlock button 2x to release the cable numerous times and connected again. But i never did select unlock & lock consecutively. What does this do?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I went into the store and got them to have a look at they said all has been fine and there is not authentication required, just plug and it charges. I even tried the charger the Kona was charging on a day after and same result.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I have charged with public CCS (Fast Chargers) and EVSE both at my home for just a couple minutes and at public locations without any issues, but I have never tried a Type2 <-> Type2 charge until this charge box. This particular charge box is free and is not networked so just something that store offers their customers. I will test out some networked, public Type2 chargers as well soon. Im using the cable which I got from the dealers. There they only had a Type2 charger and since my car was almost full when I got it im assuming its not the car.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I do not have any charge interruptions when I enter or exit the i-pace and have done this many times now. Also never had any interruptions when locking / unlocking. Only if you unlock 2x consecutively will the charger stop and be released. Still haven't had time to check out some other type2 ac chargers here though.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Just tested out another Type2 AC charger in the area here and this one worked without any issues. Still wondering why that other charge box which i tried refused to charge. However this time i did notice that the charge interrupts when I unlocked the car, this does not happen when doing fast charging via the CCS so this seems to be an AC charging thing. But I at least now know for sure that it is not the car or the cable which was causing the issues at one other charge box, but likely the charge box itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.