Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the dealer recall visit I did this week was their putting a new instruction sticker on the inside of the charging bay door.

It provides an instruction I have never heard or read before. It may be part of a software update, or maybe it's always been true and undocumented (or I just missed it).

To release the charging cord, hit 'unlock' on the fob three times in quick succession. SFAIK, just unlocking the car once used to do it, right? (Except when it didn't, which I have experienced.)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Part of the dealer recall visit I did this week was their putting a new instruction sticker on the inside of the charging bay door.

It provides an instruction I have never heard or read before. It may be part of a software update, or maybe it's always been true and undocumented (or I just missed it).

To release the charging cord, hit 'unlock' on the fob three times in quick succession. SFAIK, just unlocking the car once used to do it, right? (Except when it didn't, which I have experienced.)
iGuide says to press the unlock button 3 times to unlock charge port if you have 2 stage unlock set, e.g. press unlock once for driver's door and twice for all doors. iGuide then says to wait 6 seconds before disconnecting the cable.

I always press unlock at least twice and listen for the locking mechanism to release. The white LED never illuminates reliably and lately the green LED comes on when I unlock the car despite the car not charging. It's an odd change.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting. I have 2 stage unlock set, but simply pushing the unlock button on the driver’s door handle has always unlocked and released the charging cable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So is there a way to enter while the car is charging, without stopping a charge session? (Locked doors)
This would be nice to do as restarting a charger would cost another session fee, and more $$.

Reactions: Time2Roll

·
Registered
582 Posts
I-Pace charging is generally a PITN. At 10pm tonight I will plug in to charge. Why do I have to open the unlocked door to have it start? Insane.

In the morning the I-pace will still be charging. Can I just unplug like any other EV? No way. Need to unlock the unlocked car in the privacy of my own garage. Crazy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So is there a way to enter while the car is charging, without stopping a charge session? (Locked doors)
This would be nice to do as restarting a charger would cost another session fee, and more $$.
I've only connected to a commercial charger once but didn't lock the doors and when I came back I opened the door and sat down inside while waiting for the session to end.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I-Pace charging is generally a PITN. At 10pm tonight I will plug in to charge. Why do I have to open the unlocked door to have it start? Insane.

In the morning the I-pace will still be charging. Can I just unplug like any other EV? No way. Need to unlock the unlocked car in the privacy of my own garage. Crazy.
The charge port lock is designed for the European market where the driver uses his/her own charging cable. Locking should be either disabled or selectable in North America. It would be an easy fix - much simpler than left versus right hand drive or the different emissions requirements.

Hopefully this will be a future fix. Not only is it a major nuisance but many drivers have accidentally broken the lock when unplugging because the white LED usually doesn't illuminate and it's not clear if the cable is unlocked. Once the lock is broken the car won't charge.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Of course this morning the handle will not release in the privacy of my garage and vehicle unlocked.
Open the drivers door, nothing.
Press the door unlock, nothing.
Must sit down in the vehicle, lock the doors, unlock the doors, exit vehicle and the charging cord is now released.
I believe pressing unlock on the fob would have also worked.... and required me to go upstairs and grab the fob.

I mean who at Jaguar thought this was necessary?

Just a rhetorical question to express continued frustration. No reply needed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had to use the 'Charging Cable Emergency Release" ring today in my garage for the first time as my charge cable was stuck. Tried the key fob 3 times - didn't hear any mechanism click like I usually do. The emergency release worked. Not load noises or sparks/arcing. It did cross my mind that this may not be a good idea - the car had finished charging already overnight. Here's the circumstances leading up to this.

I had set preconditioning on for a 7AM departure. Actually tried to leave at 730. Started charging around 10 PM with my Juicebox. Finished charging to 100% at 613 AM - 66.9 kWh added. Interestingly the juicebox sent me a notification after at 614 stating started charging again and stopped at 616 with 0.054 kWh added. The charging light on the juicebox was flashing indicating that time of use or delayed charging was in effect when I went to leave and found the cable stuck.

The charge port had a solid white light on, nothing flashing. The dashboard said trying to initialize charging or something similar. Everything seems to be working now. Not sure why the port was stuck - my garage is not cold 910 celsisus) so no ice in the port. Maybe some communication error between the juicebox and the car. i have time of use settings on both the car and the juicebox. I may just turn them off as I tend to just manually charge when I need to. Thoughts?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Of course this morning the handle will not release in the privacy of my garage and vehicle unlocked.
Must sit down in the vehicle, lock the doors, unlock the doors, exit vehicle and the charging cord is now released.
I believe pressing unlock on the fob would have also worked.... and required me to go upstairs and grab the fob.

I'm not experiencing this problem. I charge at home about 2x per week. When I get home from work for example:
- Car is unlocked
- I turn off the drive motor
- I then turn on the electronics so that I can charge
- I get out of the car, open the charge cover door, plug in my cable, and then give it about 3 seconds to make sure the hand shake is done and charging is started
- In the morning, I go directly to the cable and unplug it, hang it up on the wall, close the charge door. (Car is still unlocked)
- Get in the car and drive

So I'm wondering about the difference in experience.
- Are you using a "smarter" charger that has time of day options, wifi, etc? I'm using a simple Mustart Cable 40 amp, Level 2. No wifi, time of day, etc.
- Are you setting start time charging to take advantage of better electrical rates? I'm in an area with flat rate 24x7 until you go above a certain tier. So I don't have to set a timed charge.
- Are you limiting the state of charge? I normally charge to 100% once or twice a week, usually on Friday as the car is used all day and we often take short trips on Saturday or Sunday when I want a full charge.

I'm not sure what else would be different beyond the EVSE, doing timed starts, or limiting charges. Limiting charges should only affect the disconnect, not the start of charging.

Also for comparison, with my car sitting in the garage, unlocked. I decide I want to charge it because I plan to do more driving the next day.
- I go into the garage, open the driver door, press the start button to turn on the electronics. I don't sit inside or anything. I just reach over to the start button.
- I close the door, still unlocked.
- I open the charge door and attach the charger

I have only once in the last year had the cable stick, which required me to lock and then unlock the door to release the latch. Other than that one time, the locking mechanism on the charger has released at the end of the charge?

·
Registered
272 Posts

You realize the Jaguar has no way of knowing whether you are in the privacy of your own garage or on a public charger, right?. I don't have double-unlock enabled so the process is very simple.

If your car is in the comfort of your own home, simply open your door to drive if the car is not charging. If it is charging, simply click unlock on your FOB once. Hardly a chore. Almost every Japanese car has a fuel door release in the car for the same reason. Had you had some fuel pump at home, you'd still have to lean in to the car and hot the release.

If your car is out in public and your door is locked, simply touch the lock button on the door to open the door (without interrupting the charge cycle) and click unlock on the FOB to release the charge plug.

I imagine if you have the double-lock function on, then replace click on the FOB with triple-click the FOB to get the same functionality.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No. I don't want to go find my key. I just want to walk out to my car and unplug.

And further on that I want to allow my vehicle to charge at work for maximum time and let the next person unplug me and begin charging his EV. Not possible and very disruptive at work. Choice is to pull off early or be a jerk.

Just as the locks are programmable so should the charging lock. Very not happy. To my knowledge NO other US EV does this.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not experiencing this problem. I charge at home about 2x per week. When I get home from work for example:
- Car is unlocked
- I turn off the drive motor
- I then turn on the electronics so that I can charge
- I get out of the car, open the charge cover door, plug in my cable, and then give it about 3 seconds to make sure the hand shake is done and charging is started
- In the morning, I go directly to the cable and unplug it, hang it up on the wall, close the charge door. (Car is still unlocked)
- Get in the car and drive

So I'm wondering about the difference in experience.
- Are you using a "smarter" charger that has time of day options, wifi, etc? I'm using a simple Mustart Cable 40 amp, Level 2. No wifi, time of day, etc.
- Are you setting start time charging to take advantage of better electrical rates? I'm in an area with flat rate 24x7 until you go above a certain tier. So I don't have to set a timed charge.
- Are you limiting the state of charge? I normally charge to 100% once or twice a week, usually on Friday as the car is used all day and we often take short trips on Saturday or Sunday when I want a full charge.

I'm not sure what else would be different beyond the EVSE, doing timed starts, or limiting charges. Limiting charges should only affect the disconnect, not the start of charging.

Also for comparison, with my car sitting in the garage, unlocked. I decide I want to charge it because I plan to do more driving the next day.
- I go into the garage, open the driver door, press the start button to turn on the electronics. I don't sit inside or anything. I just reach over to the start button.
- I close the door, still unlocked.
- I open the charge door and attach the charger

I have only once in the last year had the cable stick, which required me to lock and then unlock the door to release the latch. Other than that one time, the locking mechanism on the charger has released at the end of the charge?
OK my LEAF and RAV4-EV you just plug in and it charges. Anytime, anywhere, anyhow. They like to be charged. Unplug and it stops as you unplug. No doors, no locks, no buttons, no key fob, no BS. I-Pace half the time is a battle to charge then more to stop. Really I-Pace is bad at this.

Timer is poor on the I-Pace so I walk out at 10p to plug in.... NOTHING. Got to jump through a few hoops again to get it to charge after the car falls asleep. Should not be a puzzle to solve, just charge.

I have a dumb as a rock Schneider EVSE. OK it does have a charge delay button but I-Pace falls asleep during the minimum 1 hour delay.

I could rant on this all day. When you have used something easy then spend a bundle just to have life overly complicated it becomes very frustrating.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No. I don't want to go find my key. I just want to walk out to my car and unplug.

And further on that I want to allow my vehicle to charge at work for maximum time and let the next person unplug me and begin charging his EV. Not possible and very disruptive at work. Choice is to pull off early or be a jerk.

Just as the locks are programmable so should the charging lock. Very not happy. To my knowledge NO other US EV does this.
Sorry, the is my first EV, so I assumed all of them had a lock of some sort. At least, it should release when charged. MY old Lexus 450h had a credit card FOB, so actually carrying a FOB again was quote the change for me. Felt like I went back in time ;).

·
Registered
427 Posts
OK my LEAF and RAV4-EV you just plug in and it charges. Anytime, anywhere, anyhow. They like to be charged. Unplug and it stops as you unplug. No doors, no locks, no buttons, no key fob, no BS. I-Pace half the time is a battle to charge then more to stop. Really I-Pace is bad at this.

Timer is poor on the I-Pace so I walk out at 10p to plug in.... NOTHING. Got to jump through a few hoops again to get it to charge after the car falls asleep. Should not be a puzzle to solve, just charge.

I have a dumb as a rock Schneider EVSE. OK it does have a charge delay button but I-Pace falls asleep during the minimum 1 hour delay.

I could rant on this all day. When you have used something easy then spend a bundle just to have life overly complicated it becomes very frustrating.
Okay, thanks for the response. I'm not seeing this same behavior, but I likely have the key in my pocket. I'll do a test without the key and see if I can post ad-hoc to the Jaguar Advisory board with some detail. I can understand locking when charging, and at the end of the charge, but it shouldn't block you from starting.

FWIW - my Mustart cable is even dumber. There is no delay option.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
I never had any problems charging the car and I charged the car every single day, and often multiple times per day, especially when it was -20F. I simply plugged it in and it charged. I didn’t even give it a second thought. It charged if the door was locked or unlocked. It would stop charging briefly if I happened to unlock the car while it was plugged in, but after a few minutes, it would start again. It wasn’t uncommon for me to be in the car listening to the radio, heat on, working on my laptop while the car charged. Not once did I have a problem. Now some of the CCS Combos could be a bit trickier to figure out the exact sequence of requirements to get it started

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK so today I park my car at work after lunch and leave it unlocked and the charge door open. The plug-in-prius was still charging. In an hour he pulls out and plugs me in. No charging. I go out and open the door and it starts charging. Why is this needed? Close and lock up the vehicle, get back to my actual work. Disruptive at its best.

OK maybe I need to explain to my coworkers to open the door to get me started. But why do I have to leave the vehicle unlocked? Not a good practice at most places.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
666 Posts
OK so today I park my car at work after lunch and leave it unlocked and the charge door open. The plug-in-prius was still charging. In an hour he pulls out and plugs me in. No charging. I go out and open the door and it starts charging. Why is this needed? Close and lock up the vehicle, get back to my actual work. Disruptive at its best.

OK maybe I need to explain to my coworkers to open the door to get me started. But why do I have to leave the vehicle unlocked? Not a good practice at most places.
The car went to sleep in the interim. If you had plugged in as soon as you go there, it would have started charging with the door unlocked (assuming a AC charger not a CCS Combo DC charger).
Opening the door wakes it up, it sees the cable connected and starts the charging.

You might have been able to use the phone app to get the charging going once it was plugged in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes always a work around instead of just charging. Assuming I even know when my car was plugged in. Checking the app every 20 minutes get old.
If Jaguar can have a sensor on door open.... certainly there could be a sensor if a plug goes in the connector.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts