Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would ask them to just get you a new car. There are still several Red FE’s out there.
Not a bad idea. @SipherHex - you have a unique problem that is making the car unusable. I'm hoping they have provided a loaner I-Pace. Looking at Stevens Creek Jaguar, they are showing 15 I-Pace models in inventory. If they can't give you a loaner, then I would expect them to place a new order for you and take your car into their own inventory once it is repaired. If they have something close to what you ordered on the lot (they have 5 Firenze Red), you might see what they can do. Though it looks like yours may have been a First Edition Photon Red? and they don't have an FE in stock.

Now that we are past Christmas and New Years, New Jersey should be a little more responsive to the dealer. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
I would ask them to just get you a new car. There are still several Red FE’s out there.
Not a bad idea. @SipherHex - you have a unique problem that is making the car unusable. I'm hoping they have provided a loaner I-Pace. Looking at Stevens Creek Jaguar, they are showing 15 I-Pace models in inventory. If they can't give you a loaner, then I would expect them to place a new order for you and take your car into their own inventory once it is repaired. If they have something close to what you ordered on the lot (they have 5 Firenze Red), you might see what they can do. Though it looks like yours may have been a First Edition Photon Red? and they don't have an FE in stock.

Now that we are past Christmas and New Years, New Jersey should be a little more responsive to the dealer. Good luck.
Another forum member Wattajag had a similar issue but with more miles on the car and they did it for him. I certainly would not want to keep brand new car with a negative CarFax right out of the gate.

Looking at inventory online there are at least a half-dozen Photon Red FEs within 150 miles of you. Let the dealer have the lemon!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes. Strange as it may seem, as I only had 370 miles -- yours was "sooner"?!! They absolutely should just find you a new one. In my case, they gave me choices of other cars that they had coming where the original orderer had cancelled. I actually accepted an HSE that was actually in a color I preferred (blue vs. the photon red). It had a couple less whistles (but pretty much all of the bells I wanted!), and got back $2700.

Now, that said - I've only had it for 2 days, and have 111 miles on it, so ... fingers crossed that lightning will fail to strike twice!! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the suggestion. Hope your new one goes smoothly. Mine made it a whopping 36mi before croaking.

I was put in a LR Discovery loaner, you're right, should be an IPace for an IPace.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Hope your new one goes smoothly. Mine made it a whopping 36mi before croaking.

I was put in a LR Discovery loaner, you're right, should be an IPace for an IPace.
No way! Disco’s aren’t bad cars, but they certainly are not in the same class as an I Pace! An $90k car should have been replaced by a 90k car! You have been way too generous and patient with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The saga continues... Jaguar not covering themselves in glory here on what should be a non-brainer.

No update on service. JLR NA is processing an application to have the car repurchased. They have to consult with their Consumer Affairs division to see if this circumstance qualifies. However, they just blew their deadline to get back to me on that.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
The saga continues... Jaguar not covering themselves in glory here on what should be a non-brainer.

No update on service. JLR NA is processing an application to have the car repurchased. They have to consult with their Consumer Affairs division to see if this circumstance qualifies. However, they just blew their deadline to get back to me on that.
I blame it more on the dealer vs. JLR. Without knowing wattajag’s exact circumstance, it certainly seems as if his dealer was Johnny on the spot negating his purchase and getting him a new car. It would seem as if they took all the liability upfront and can only assume they then worked it out with JLR, dealer to manufacturer. Your dealer should do the same. You should be insulated from that process and be given a new car ASAP...

If my guess is right about the dealer not owning the process, I would suggest you wash your hands of this dealer and go down the road to the next available...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just to say, I had no prior relationship with the Jag dealer. They stepped right up with an attitude of "what can we do to make this right?" Did I want to keep the car and have them fix it, or here was the list of cars coming in over the next month that they could replace it with.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Just to say, I had no prior relationship with the Jag dealer. They stepped right up with an attitude of "what can we do to make this right?" Did I want to keep the car and have them fix it, or here was the list of cars coming in over the next month that they could replace it with.
That's exactly what they should do. They shouldn't make the customer 'suffer' while they work out the details with corporate. Like yours did for you, SipherHex's dealer should have accepted the burden of a broken car and got him a new one ASAP, especially since there are at least a half-dozen, exactly the same, within a few hundred miles. I think it is shameful they have drug their feet on this, especially in light of the fact there was less than 50 miles on the car went it imploded!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The latest update. On Tuesday the dealer called and said they are now going to try to fix the issue by replacing the front EPIC (DC-AC motor inverter controller) and regenerative braking system. Parts coming in next day.

Here we are on Friday and they did the repair, but... it did not resolve the issue. So now are offering to start working on replacing the vehicle. No ETA for that yet. TBD.

Gotta say, folks in SF Bay Area take note of the timeline here and take into consideration where you shop. yeesh.

PS Dealer service contact said the rear wheels locking up is actually heavy braking on them which is a safety feature of the car any time the front motor is 'free wheeling' and the steering is deflected. Is apparently intended to keep from having damaging mechanical stress on front suspension components. Interesting concept.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The latest update. On Tuesday the dealer called and said they are now going to try to fix the issue by replacing the front EPIC (DC-AC motor inverter controller) and regenerative braking system. Parts coming in next day.

Here we are on Friday and they did the repair, but... it did not resolve the issue. So now are offering to start working on replacing the vehicle. No ETA for that yet. TBD.

Gotta say, folks in SF Bay Area take note of the timeline here and take into consideration where you shop. yeesh.

PS Dealer service contact said the rear wheels locking up is actually heavy braking on them which is a safety feature of the car any time the front motor is 'free wheeling' and the steering is deflected. Is apparently intended to keep from having damaging mechanical stress on front suspension components. Interesting concept.
Terrible. Nothing is worse than 'guessing' or 'throwing parts at it'. There is a problem in their diagnostic system from the planning all the way to the end, the executive in charge of that probably is not suited for the job. With over 6000 cars on the road, and a year of testing 200 cars, it is highly unlikely your issue is unique or new.

Rear braking deliberate? That is a very bizarre thing for a car tech to say. A point to consider is what happens on a slippery road when you pull the parking brake on a car with the wheels turned. That's is how you loop a car. There is seldom a situation where adding rear braking without any front braking is desirable or optimal. It is sometimes the simplest method of holding a car in place or reducing it's speed, but is never the best.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts

There is zero reason you should allow them to make you keep the car...

·
Registered
3 Posts

The same happen to me and the car has been at the garage since october. They have now changed the front engine and still testing as they says. Hope it's gonna end soon

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm pretty sure he said Stevens Creek, San Jose. They have a pretty negative rating on review sites. My experience has been limited to getting seriously low-balled on my trade-in and then ghosted on promised call-back / additional details / proposal. I've moved on.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
Yeah I have to put up with a know-nothing typical car sales guy who doesn't even want to use email (text only please) at Livermore. At least he calls me with updates. But getting a software version number out of him? Not so easy:

Me: "Can you please send me the software versions? I've sent you screenshots, they're 15.2 and S18D."
Him: "My service guy, great guy, he tells me you don't need to worry, you have the latest installed!"
Me: "Can you please find out the version numbers? I've sent you screenshots."
Him: "I'm telling you it's all going to be fine, you'll be so happy."
Me: "It can't be hard for you or the service guy to go into the menu and write down the version numbers."
Him: "Ok let me try bye"
[Second time he hung up on me]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Car is unfixable. Dealer has a car on the lot, but has run out the time from Jaguar NA to do a dealer facilitated trade.

Now Jaguar NA needs to repurchase the vehicle. They need to contact their consumer affairs department to being the expected 2 week (!!) process.

None of this would have happened if the dealership had just traded the car at the first sign of trouble.

Livermore is the same dealer ownership as Jaguar Steven's Creek.

Avoid!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Unfortunately I have to say the Jaguar NA customer service department has been beyond awful to deal with as well.

They've never contacted me back, I've always had to call them, and there is no path the service reps have to escalate. Best they can do is request someone call you back within 48 hours (which they don't do).

If the communication the dealership has with Jaguar NA is anything like what I'm dealing with, it's amazing they can stay in business.

It's sad how such amazing engineering as the I-Pace is going to get hamstrung by simple consumer business basics.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
Danm, so sorry to hear that! What a hassle. Yes I'm not impressed with the customer non-service. Didn't realize Livermore and Steven's Creek were the same owner. I first went to SC because they're closer to me but when I emailed the sales guy that I'm ready to order he didn't respond. So I went to Livermore. Bah.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately I have to say the Jaguar NA customer service department has been beyond awful to deal with as well.

They've never contacted me back, I've always had to call them, and there is no path the service reps have to escalate. Best they can do is request someone call you back within 48 hours (which they don't do).

If the communication the dealership has with Jaguar NA is anything like what I'm dealing with, it's amazing they can stay in business.

It's sad how such amazing engineering as the I-Pace is going to get hamstrung by simple consumer business basics.
Man, so sad to hear your story. I'm also dealing with service issues with my I-Pace and San Jose JLR (although not as big of an issue as yours).

Do they still have your car? I was in their shop yesterday and saw a Photon Red I-Pace

21 - 40 of 68 Posts