Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I guess my worst nightmare happened. Today I was driving from the East Bay to Lake Tahoe with my two kids. On the way I stopped in Folsom to charge up as my kids needed a bio-break. After restarting the car I got a warning saying the cars brakes had a fault and the car was safe to drive, but brakes would feel different. It was not wrong. I probably should have either;
  • Stopped here and called for help
  • Returned to home and called for help

But with my get-there-itis full engaged decided to soldier on.

This is not the first time I have seen this warning, but it usually goes with a power down and power back up. Also the temperature was very hot today which can cause havoc.

About half way into the second leg another warning appeared, and now the car could not maintain separation from other vehicles automatically. "That's new!" I thought.

About 2 minutes later I felt a slight jolt, we were traveling at around 60mph. Immediately afterwards the car raised my worst dread, "Traction Battery Fault". The car reduced the available power to about a third. We were on the mountain far away from any help. Given the last part of this journey was downhill I decided to drive slow and try to limp to help in South Lake Tahoe, which is where we were planning to stay.

On the way down the mountain another jolt and another warning, "Gearbox Failure". Oh boy. This is now very serious. I have read these stories on this and other forums and they only end one way. 10 miles from our destination I did the most gentle driving imaginable. The car was jolting and lurching every-time we had to come to a near stop.

Long story short we made it to our hotel and the car finally died in the main entrance. Feeling both very lucky to have made it and lost on what to do next. Using the Jaguar SOS button have managed to organize a truck to come and rescue the vehicle in the morning and take it to the nearest service center, 50 miles away.

I am not sure what this means for my I-Pace. We have been through so much together the last two and half years I would hate for this to be the end. But I also know none of those warnings are good and I-Pace engineering experience is few and far between in the US. They would not tow it back to my local dealer, who are actually really good. So I guess I will find out tomorrow what happens next.

We have another car, TM3, and a Rivian R1S on order so if this is the end more options are arriving soon. But I really hope Jaguar can sort this out. Thankfully the car is still under warranty so this is all on them.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck - How many times did you get the Brake fault in the past? I assume you didn't worry about it as it went away with a restart?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
Could be as simple as 12v battery failure or as complex as the broken wiring harness problem. I'm hoping for the former.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I held off on posting when this happened, but last month......

We were departing after a month in Bend, OR heading back to bay. Loaded car, full roof box. Backing up steep driveway had a total failure that brought on the traction battery fault message. Also the related 'restricted performance' note. But in our case couldn't even get up the driveway.

JLR roadside sent a towtruck from Portland (250 miles away). Car was serviced then then 'reunited' with me in San Francisco 5 days later. Both the tow and the reunite tow completely free. Kudos to customer service. Only trap to be aware of: four days of rental car coverage, and save your receipts.

I then sold that I-Pace, as I was positive equity, and got another for similar price that has been fault free so far.

Expect to rent a car for your stay, drive it home, and be reunited with the ipace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update:
Yesterday Electra was loaded onto the tow truck. The operation took over an hour as the car would not go into the correct mode for transporting. So they had to install plastic sleds under the wheels to allow it to be dragged onto the tow truck bed. After a lot of maneuvering to get her into position so she could be strapped down, tow truck departed for the Jaguar recommended service center in Reno, NV. (Pictures below)

After an initially good experience dealing with the Jaguar roadside assistance team, some frustrations started to develop. They originally told me the tow truck would be with me at 7am yesterday morning, in the end it arrived after 9am. They also informed me the best service center available was Reno, NV.

When the car departed on the back of the truck, I called the Reno service center to verify they were aware my vehicle was en route and give them any additional information that may be useful. First of all Reno were not aware my vehicle was on the way, which was disappointing. When I had finished describing the situation the service center manager put me on hold, and then informed me they could not accept the vehicle as they had no I-Pace certified technicians on staff. Remember this was a Jaguar recommended service center.

I contacted Jaguar Roadside Assistance to explain the situation. The next nearest service center was Sacramento. This was over the 100 mile radius limit they have, but I explained they had no choice but to ship the car there as long as they could take it. I was assured they could by the service agent, but this time I took no chances. I phoned Sacramento and discussed the situation with their service agent. Thankfully they could service my vehicle and were aware of this issue, having seen a couple of I-Paces with similar failures recently. They also sounded the most competent people I have spoken to thus far.

Next I had to get the car redirected from the Reno bound tow truck to Sacramento. I won't bore with the details, but I had to effectively manage the redirect process myself. Jaguar Roadside Assistance were not helpful, they provided incorrect information and claimed to have updated all parties with instructions when in fact they had not. In the end I resolved the situation.

The final issue in this ongoing adventure is that the tow truck delivered the car to the Jaguar Sales center in Sacramento. The service center is down the street from the sales showroom. Thankfully the service manager at Sacramento said they would figure out moving it today and I need not worry. Finally some competence in this situation.

I am expecting to hear later today from the service center on an update. I expect this is a wiring harness issue as being remedied in H288. Having thought back there has been a slow shudder in certain driving situations (e.g. cornering at speed on Interstate) that had been becoming increasingly prominent recently, probably signs of this issue developing. The service center indicated that they would carry out the H288 campaign fix regardless.

I have a rental setup to get my family back from South Lake Tahoe to the East Bay tomorrow. I can finally relax for a day and just enjoy this wonderful city.

I am posting my experience here for others, as Jaguar Roadside Assistance, although useful initially became increasingly problematic. They do not really have context for Jaguar EVs, and do not know which service centers can actually carry out repair work on this car. If you encounter a similar situation, I recommend that you do your research and locate the nearest service center than can do the work. If it is over the 100 mile limit, then that is on Jaguar and when you explain that, they authorize it - in my experience.

Finally, kudos to the tow truck driver. He managed to carefully get the car onto the back of his truck even with locked up wheels. He joked that this was the first uncooperative Jag he had loaded, but had experience loading many uncooperative Teslas so knew the drill. Such is life for EV owners I guess :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck - How many times did you get the Brake fault in the past? I assume you didn't worry about it as it went away with a restart?
Thanks. I had it about 3 times this year. I did not worry as it would clear and I knew that the car would be in for H288 soon, so would mention it then. Seems fate decided to expedite the issue :)

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
fyi: there is a manual release for the parking pawl to allow the vehicle to be moved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I held off on posting when this happened, but last month......

We were departing after a month in Bend, OR heading back to bay. Loaded car, full roof box. Backing up steep driveway had a total failure that brought on the traction battery fault message. Also the related 'restricted performance' note. But in our case couldn't even get up the driveway.

JLR roadside sent a towtruck from Portland (250 miles away). Car was serviced then then 'reunited' with me in San Francisco 5 days later. Both the tow and the reunite tow completely free. Kudos to customer service. Only trap to be aware of: four days of rental car coverage, and save your receipts.

I then sold that I-Pace, as I was positive equity, and got another for similar price that has been fault free so far.

Expect to rent a car for your stay, drive it home, and be reunited with the ipace.
I live in Bend and that distance to the dealer is problematic especially in the winter, glad things worked out for you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts