Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the dreaded message this morning pulling out of a hiking trail parking lot. Car dead as a dodo. Started normally. Put into reverse and pulled out of parking spot. Into "D" and started to pull away. 20ft and the while thing shuts down with the warnings we have all heard about.
JLR Assistance was good getting a flatbed and an Uber to get us home in less than an hour.

Flatbed driver tried boosting the battery (aux) with no success. Tried letting it sit either off or with dash on - no success. Off to "vet" for kitty.

A couple of observations for others. Over the last week, I've seen the climate controls reset from 68 to 70 on a couple of occasions, and yesterday at the grocery store I got the same warning but kitty was drivable and the warning had cleared this morning.

Did an 8 mile trip first thing this morning, then drove 8 miles to the trail. Both yesterday and today kitty was sitting in the sun prior to having issues. Guess kitty burns easily.馃檪

Registered
Why did he try to boost the aux battery and not the starter battery? Or did you mean the mai 12v battery (which I think we are referring too as the starter battery)?

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did he try to boost the aux battery and not the starter battery? Or did you mean the mai 12v battery (which I think we are referring too as the starter battery)?
Tried both. He seemed very aware of the car. Knew where bateries were, knew where switch to release gearbox was (didn't work since electronic parking brake wouldn't release - he knew the long process to release brakes, but we didn't need to go there).

Funny thing was dash would come up w/o starting the car and stay on. All functions worked, frunk opened with button, radio played etc. WattCat was reporting aux battery level - it varied from 13.9 to 15.1v - over about 60mins.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
So EPB didn't work (release)? Foot on brake while pulling out on the switch?

EPB is controlled by the ABS controller. That controller gets power from both 12V batteries. Were both batteries assisted at the same time?

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So EPB didn't work (release)? Foot on brake while pulling out on the switch?

EPB is controlled by the ABS controller. That controller gets power from both 12V batteries. Were both batteries assisted at the same time?
EPB release did not.

Not sure whether he tried both batteries at the same time - how would that be configured with the cables? I was sitting in the driver's seat pressing the start button.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
Two jumpers would be required to assist both batteries at once. Positives to both and negatives to body grounds. It might be possible to jumper the starter battery as one normally does, and then just a single jumper cable from the the starter positive post to the positive on the auxiliary battery. You land up with the batteries jumped in parallel.

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two jumpers would be required to assist both batteries at once. Positives to both and negatives to body grounds. It might be possible to jumper the starter battery as one normally does, and then just a single jumper cable from the the starter positive post to the positive on the auxiliary battery. You land up with the batteries jumped in parallel.
Definitely no, then. He had one booster pack and set of cables.

Registered
WattCat was reporting aux battery level - it varied from 13.9 to 15.1v - over about 60mins.
After my experience with the failed batteries at different times, the battery voltage value that Wattcat reports is from the starter battery, not the aux battery that it is labeled in WattCat. And your report adds more proof to that fact.

Registered
Got the dreaded message this morning pulling out of a hiking trail parking lot. Car dead as a dodo. Started normally. Put into reverse and pulled out of parking spot. Into "D" and started to pull away. 20ft and the while thing shuts down with the warnings we have all heard about.
JLR Assistance was good getting a flatbed and an Uber to get us home in less than an hour.

Flatbed driver tried boosting the battery (aux) with no success. Tried letting it sit either off or with dash on - no success. Off to "vet" for kitty.

A couple of observations for others. Over the last week, I've seen the climate controls reset from 68 to 70 on a couple of occasions, and yesterday at the grocery store I got the same warning but kitty was drivable and the warning had cleared this morning.

Did an 8 mile trip first thing this morning, then drove 8 miles to the trail. Both yesterday and today kitty was sitting in the sun prior to having issues. Guess kitty burns easily.馃檪
Sorry but did you contact the dealer immediately after seeing the warning the first time?

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry but did you contact the dealer immediately after seeing the warning the first time?
After hours on the Tuesday pm, for 1st warning. Charged overnight. Two short trips with no problems early Wednesday am, was planning calling after getting a hike that morning.
Yeh, should have immediatey driven up to dealer.馃槩

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to post an update on this problem.

Finally diagnosed as a bad aux 12v battery AND the wiring harness issue we have all heard about and dreaded. Is it possible the wiring harness effects the aux 12v charging?

No ETA for a new harness, but progress is being made. Loaner on its way.

Registered
It could affect the battery, if the right wire finds a ground, but hopefully a fuse would stop that drain. If you have a 2019, then we could say a battery failure is expected! Just hope they find the starter battery bad enough to change it out too.

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It could affect the battery, if the right wire finds a ground, but hopefully a fuse would stop that drain. If you have a 2019, then we could say a battery failure is expected! Just hope they find the starter battery bad enough to change it out too.
Starter battery seems good according to WattCat. I'm seeing this as a blessing (albeit an annoying one). With no recall in NA for this problem, it could have happened in a couple of years time, on my $$$, not JLR's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts