Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get in the I-pace last night and had these errors
Traction Battery fault detected. ok to drive with caution​
Gearbox fault detected​
Brake pedal feel reduced.​
Park indicator was flashing and when I selected R or D it shut down.​
unfortunately I was in a underground carpark so towing would have been interesting with low clearances

SOC 52%
temp 10 deg C but it has just changed to being cold (3 deg C overnight) and the car was parked outside

ended up going home and getting the 10A charger so put it on charge for 90 mins and no change
connected the 12v Battery to a 1A battery saver and after about 5 mins could get it to go into N
5 mins later could drive it with the same errors.

got the car home and left the 12V charger connected but in the morning it gone back to original fault Park indicator was flashing and when I selected R or D it shut down.

though it might have been the auxiliary battery but not so sure anymore..

will call the dealer on Monday and work out how to get the car to them

March 2018 build date so 12v batteries might be at there use date
48,000km

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
Assuming you have a 2019-20 model year, you need to charge the small battery (auxiliary battery) on the left side of the frunk (left as in if you're sitting in the driver's seat). That battery needs to be replaced. You probably boosted the larger starter battery on the opposite side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after about a hundred attempts i got the car going so I could drive it to the dealer.
trick that I found worked was leave the ignition on (ie without hitting the brake) and leaving the door ajar for an hour... maybe the aux. battery is getting a charge that way...
anyway , lets see what the dealer say but whatever the outcome I will ask for the aux batter to be replaced even if I have to pay for it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
after about a hundred attempts i got the car going so I could drive it to the dealer.
trick that I found worked was leave the ignition on (ie without hitting the brake) and leaving the door ajar for an hour... maybe the aux. battery is getting a charge that way...
interesting idea.

If the traction battery is able to power on then maybe it will eventually get enough to the 12V to “jump” it so to speak.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am still struggling to understand what is doing what when...

When the car is off, the 12v starter and aux batteries are handling the electronics. When the car is running, the DCDC converter is running the electronics, How is it that a 12v battery failure can immobile the car while running?

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The battery is bad and not charging. This is detected. It appears that since the auxiliary battery supplies power for the brake booster, it is a "safe" mode to bring the car to a halt rather than to continue to drive with no brake boost in an emergency.

It also appears to throw other "false alarms" like the traction battery fault. This might be due to trying to determine why the aux battery isn't charging. The gearbox fault comes from lack of power for the front EPIC and parking pawl since the 12V aux battery is required there too. A (probable) bad assumption that there's a traction battery circuit fault not supplying recharging power.

Maybe they have this sorted out, or lessen the effects of a bad 12V aux battery, in updated programming that is not applied to the subject vehicle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Since I had my starter battery go down first (easy to jump off), then a week and a half later my aux battery went down (hard to jump both batteries), I have to believe there is some connection between the two batteries. I assume the battery management on top of the aux battery are diodes to keep voltage higher than the starter battery. I think there is some bleed through somewhere to the Starter battery circuitry. The failure of both batteries is just too coincidental in my case.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
On top of the auxiliary battery are two fuses not diodes. They are rated 200A and 100A. The battery charging comes in through the 200A fuse and feed to the other things goes through the 100A.

The common element is the Power Supply Distribution Box with the BCM/GWM controlling it. The way it is set up, when the PSDB is supplying charging power to the aux battery it is also supplying the power to the items listed above. The aux battery is supplying the power to them when the PSDB isn't. The PSDB gets the power from the starter battery (via junction box) and the DC-DC converter is keeping that charged from the traction battery.

A fault in the PSDB, DC-DC converter or BCM/GWM can cause this whole process to fail for both batteries. A failure of the starter battery might lead to a failure of aux battery due to lack of charging. It also has a dependency on the power mode. Power mode 0 is "off", 6 is full "on", and other modes in between are for being on but not started or during the whole start up sequence,

It is a tangled web they weaved into this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
car is still at the dealer and typical Murphy's law. it started first time after taking 2 days to get it there...but still throws the brake error thankfully. I could see its been driven a few km about 4 times and has been in the workshop with the bonnet open a fair bit so they must have found something... just waiting for the call.
I could see them main start battery charging when ignition was on so I dont think its a DC-DC converter issue
Yes these cars are very complex... probably a bit too much compared to old cars...
Have brought the spare car back into commission for daily use.. 2003 Ford Falcon GT, had it since new and never let me down so make you appreciate simper time. As long as I have a batter and fuel it goes! plus the sound of a V8 isn't bad for a change but the fuel needle is scaring me at $2 a litre.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Repair update
Dealer rang today and said the Power Supply Distribution Box has failed and wasn't charging the Auxiliary battery so they need to replace both. was charging everything else... cost $2,990 AUD, lucky I had an extended warranty from Allianz. 2nd claim after a front wiring harness failure which was about $3500 so worth the $2,000 I paid for it
I'm amazed I even managed to get the car to the dealer when it when into major fault mode, maybe the auxiliary battery recovered a bit over a few days and the heat of the day/
surprisingly the parts are in Melbourne so only a few more days to repair. I have herd its 6 weeks for just the battery due to covid shipping delays a while back.
very good service from the Jaguar dealer in Canberra so no complaints at the moment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Repair update
Dealer rang today and said the Power Supply Distribution Box has failed and wasn't charging the Auxiliary battery so they need to replace both. was charging everything else... cost $2,990 AUD, lucky I had an extended warranty from Allianz. 2nd claim after a front wiring harness failure which was about $3500 so worth the $2,000 I paid for it
I'm amazed I even managed to get the car to the dealer when it when into major fault mode, maybe the auxiliary battery recovered a bit over a few days and the heat of the day/
surprisingly the parts are in Melbourne so only a few more days to repair. I have herd its 6 weeks for just the battery due to covid shipping delays a while back.
very good service from the Jaguar dealer in Canberra so no complaints at the moment.
So your car is already out of the factory warranty?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also assumed that there is a manufacturer warranty in Australia like the US?
In the US it sounds like expenses like this would be covered by warranty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3 year warranty on the older models like my one (March 2018 build). I think Jaguar is now offering a 5 year warranty on new i-paces but not sure
luckily I purchased an extended warranty for $2,500 when I bought the car of the dealership. It was a demonstrator 13 months old and had 8,000 km on it
runs out of the extended in August 2023

·
Registered
559 Posts
I see!

In the US we have 5 year/60k mi warranty and 8yr/100k mi battery warranty. So sounds like more than what you had. I think all US I paces are still under original warranty. That’s why it’s surprising you have an extended warranty already!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts