Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just about to place an order for an iPace and have one question left that I did not like the answer to, so I thought I'd see here if other options were possible.

Apparently there is no towing hitch option available for the iPace in North America (at least here in Canada). If so, has anyone found any third party options? I don't plan on towing often, but I've had hitches on all my cars going back 20 years and would prefer maintaining that option if possible.

Thanks,

Roch

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ditto, but I bought one without a hitch anyway... obsolescing my 3-bike rack of 20 years. If you do find a way to implement a hitch in the U.S., please post it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If bike carrier is your primary reason for tow hitch, see the posts in the “Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier?” Thread

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Hello all,

Just about to place an order for an iPace and have one question left that I did not like the answer to, so I thought I'd see here if other options were possible.

Apparently there is no towing hitch option available for the iPace in North America (at least here in Canada). If so, has anyone found any third party options? I don't plan on towing often, but I've had hitches on all my cars going back 20 years and would prefer maintaining that option if possible.

Thanks,

Roch
If you are resourceful you could probably find a way to order the tow hitch sold in Europe and with a bit of modifications make it work in the US. However, an owner from Finland just posted his experience on FB. It took his dealer >5 hours to install and it sounded as if it required extensive drilling/cutting/welding. Definitely not for the faint of heart. With such low volumes in the US it will likely be awhile (if ever) before someone does an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike rack is one main reason, so the Jaguar one will solve that, however I hoping to build a cottage over the next few years so a trailer than can haul plywood and other materials would be handy. I've always had a hitch on every car that could take one, so this will feel like something is missing.

The sales guy said the hitch was not available because the euro one would not pass safety (I assume crash) tests. He may have been speculating, but said something about the risk of the hitch going into the battery in accidents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,

Roch
Torklift has a reputation for providing hitch receiver solutions for EVs. They made an early solution for Tesla, Chevy Bolt and Chevy Volt. Id take them the Jaguar pdf and ask if they are interested in designing a solution. They have options for other Jaguar models.

TORKLIFT CENTRAL HITCH & TOW
315 Central Ave N
Kent, WA 98032

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch

JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info so far

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I don't think I need the hitch enough to go to these lengths, but I'll see once I get the car (I ordered it yesterday for delivery in 6 months in Montreal). Maybe by then, some of these solutions will make their way up here. I'll no doubt have new questions once I get the car. Thanks for this great forum!

Cheers,

Roch

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Just to chime in as I'm doing research for a customer to attach a bike mount on to tow bar. From the installation pics, part #T4K8031 is not your ordinary box receiver.

Here's a link to the install guide: JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions
Yes, since it is a European spec product, not intended for the NA market, it would require modifications to make it work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No hitch, No buying an I-Pace

Today I was getting ready to swap money around to buy an I-Pace. but first I called Palm Beach Jaguar and questioned about the T4K8031 towbar availability. They called me back after doing some research and said they could not get it. A Merriam Jaguar in the Midwest, also has it listed and discounted to $1800, but after questioning they also said they could not get it. An email to Lancaster Slough at Jardinemotors in the UK brought the following response: "Goodmorning, Unfortunately due to franchise agreements between JLR and retailers, we are unable to supply any parts or accessories to outside of the EU.". I further questioned if I walked in to their parts office with cash, would they sell it to me and he said no! I went on to the manufacturer of the hitch, https://brinkgroup.eu and they do not even list the towbar for the I-Pace, but they do have the hitch electronic connectors for it. I sent a complaint to Jaguar about not being able to purchase their hitch and them missing a chance to sell a 2019 I-Pace and they replied that my complaint was recorded. I had a nice I-Pace picked out to buy. I guess it will continue to sit, while I drive my Ford Focus Electric with a trailer hitch, waiting on the 2022 Ford Electric.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I was getting ready to swap money around to buy an I-Pace. but first I called Palm Beach Jaguar and questioned about the T4K8031 towbar availability. They called me back after doing some research and said they could not get it. A Merriam Jaguar in the Midwest, also has it listed and discounted to $1800, but after questioning they also said they could not get it. An email to Lancaster Slough at Jardinemotors in the UK brought the following response: "Goodmorning, Unfortunately due to franchise agreements between JLR and retailers, we are unable to supply any parts or accessories to outside of the EU.". I further questioned if I walked in to their parts office with cash, would they sell it to me and he said no! I went on to the manufacturer of the hitch, https://brinkgroup.eu and they do not even list the towbar for the I-Pace, but they do have the hitch electronic connectors for it. I sent a complaint to Jaguar about not being able to purchase their hitch and them missing a chance to sell a 2019 I-Pace and they replied that my complaint was recorded. I had a nice I-Pace picked out to buy. I guess it will continue to sit, while I drive my Ford Focus Electric with a trailer hitch, waiting on the 2022 Ford Electric.
My Jag dealer here in Montreal explained that the hitch did not pass the transport Canada tests, which are different (not implying better or worse, but different).

·
Registered
550 Posts
A vehicle should not be classified as an SUV without a hitch! I bit the bullet and acquiesced, but it is one of the 2 key compromises I was forced to accept upon choosing the I-Pace. (FYI, other was a 3rd row of seating)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Required more than 40 hours of work with hand tools, no welding or cutting with a torch is needed. Need a hacksaw, drill, many drill bits, big dykes, key hole saw, air die grinder, two new 1/2dia", 2" long bolts with washers and nuts (for new additional vertical mount holes on the E-Pace hitch.) 3/4" 20"long heavy duty galvanized pipe, 6 20" band clamps, cross reference both hitches E & I-pace installation instructions on the Jaguar site. The whole rear bumper assembly is normally supported by the aluminum and plastic crash structure. It would sag if you discarded it like is done with the E-Pace. The rear light hookup is on the US model I-Pace where the instructions say they should be! Brown, yellow and green wires are there and work. The body work has about 30 different fittings of every type holding it to the car. Having a hobby of triathlete for the past 16 years helps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There has got to be an easier way.

Reactions: dtgsrq

·
Registered
550 Posts
Required more than 40 hours of work with hand tools, no welding or cutting with a torch is needed. Need a hacksaw, drill, many drill bits, big dykes, key hole saw, air die grinder, two new 1/2dia", 2" long bolts with washers and nuts (for new additional vertical mount holes on the E-Pace hitch.) 3/4" 20"long heavy duty galvanized pipe, 6 20" band clamps, cross reference both hitches E & I-pace installation instructions on the Jaguar site. The whole rear bumper assembly is normally supported by the aluminum and plastic crash structure. It would sag if you discarded it like is done with the E-Pace. The rear light hookup is on the US model I-Pace where the instructions say they should be! Brown, yellow and green wires are there and work. The body work has about 30 different fittings of every type holding it to the car. Having a hobby of triathlete for the past 16 years helps.
Picture?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts