Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Can you please explain what that statement means? $800M of EA's $2B penalty is to be spent in California. How are they being blocked? The only complaint that I read from EA in their reports to CARB were that getting chargers through the permitting process with municipalities in California was much more arduous and time consuming than in other states. See pg.6 of EA's latest report to CARB.

https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/inline-files/Electrify America Q3 2018 Quarterly Report - Public.pdf
Reality - I wrote the state and posted the official letter years ago, this was prior to the VW monies, back when the Bolt was not out yet. They had funded CA "Charging Corridors" prior to 2016, the Final planning was in 2015. Now try to find them. I will see if I can find the letter since I normally don't keep junk mail.

California effectively dissolved their corridor plans before VW settled. So the clock was set back to zero when VW took over.

This has nothing to do with EA. It has to do with EV Corridors, Public Propaganda Programs, City Of The Future (Sacramento was awarded, big surprise), L2 and CCS urban sites, low income area sites, and Hydrogen Fuel Stations.

Show me one that is not Hydrogen or in Sacramento, or a Low Income Project (failed by design).

Most importantly, show me a California (CEC) Pre-VW CCS station. Go look at the main artery, the 5 Fwy, all five CEC CCS stations were killed recently after installation, no CEC anymore. Look at the LA/Nevada corridor. No CEC projects in process. The only one they worked on was from the SF suburbs to the Ski Resorts, but it wasn't a CEC corridor. And it's mostly funded with non-CA monies.

Prove me wrong. Virtually all CCS in California are non-CEC/VW because they are private projects.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Case in point, going off memory. The Mojave Corridor (gringos spell it Mohave) was not awarded to EVgo. Yet EVgo is the best CCS on the 15 fwy, that's the 350/150kW site.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
At least you have high speed rail.

Er...... :wink2:
Apparently fleeing Stockton or Bakerfield should be done at the highest speed possible. But you'll have to wait until 2035.>:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Apparently fleeing Stockton or Bakerfield should be done at the highest speed possible. But you'll have to wait until 2035.>:)
My mistake. Maybe you will have high speed rail some day that connects no major cities.

If I live to see 2035 I'm going to call that an accomplishment. I've burned the candle from every conceivable direction at one time or another.

·
Registered
264 Posts
EA is being blocked by California because that's they way we fly.
This has nothing to do with EA.
Well which is it? You were claiming that EA was being blocked by California. When I responded with the last EA report to CARB you now claim it has nothing to do with EA.

CARB extracted $800M from VW for Dieselgate to fund EV charging and consumer awareness in California. That is the game now. Why spend public money on EV Corridors when VW is forced to spend their own money and do it for you because they got caught cheating?

The reality in the US is that for CCS DCFC the Dieselgate settlement put a crimp on all other public and private initiatives because VW is forced to spend $2B whether they can make a profit or not with the Electrify America charging network. Everyone else's initiatives need to be cost justified.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was really hoping the other major EV car makers would build an alliance with EA to build out more high speed chargers. Until there is a stronger network, Tesla will continue to be a top contender for those who don't want to limit their driving locally. The diesel cheating settlement forced the hand of VW, but it created an opportunity to build better EV adoption that Hyundai, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and others could leverage. Toss in a few quid and identify the roadmap... Just a dream I guess.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I was really hoping the other major EV car makers would build an alliance with EA to build out more high speed chargers. Until there is a stronger network, Tesla will continue to be a top contender for those who don't want to limit their driving locally. The diesel cheating settlement forced the hand of VW, but it created an opportunity to build better EV adoption that Hyundai, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and others could leverage. Toss in a few quid and identify the roadmap... Just a dream I guess.
You should have seen the CCS network in 2016. It has probably doubled since then.

The argument I hear that CCS is useless from the SC crowd no longer holds water. I can to to Las Vegas now with CCS at high speed. We are very close to Coast to Coast with a 200mi EV.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was really hoping the other major EV car makers would build an alliance with EA to build out more high speed chargers........Toss in a few quid and identify the roadmap... Just a dream I guess.
Some things just take a little time. :smile2:

EA said:
At this time, we welcome the following input:

1. Specific site locations – Specific site locations you would like to nominate for consideration in Cycle 2 infrastructure investments.

2. Vendor interest – Electrify America is not soliciting specific vendor proposals at this time. However, if you are a vendor interested in understanding our RFI & RFP process, you may register your interest through the submission box below.

3. Event invitations – Suggestions on specific events we should consider for participation.
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions

Have at it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
You should have seen the CCS network in 2016. It has probably doubled since then.

The argument I hear that CCS is useless from the SC crowd no longer holds water. I can to to Las Vegas now with CCS at high speed. We are very close to Coast to Coast with a 200mi EV.
It baffles me why I-5, the fastest route between the Bay Area and SoCal, still doesn't have high speed CCS. EA has some Coming Soon locations identified but nothing between Firebaugh and Burbank, which is 234 miles including climbing The Grapevine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It baffles me why I-5, the fastest route between the Bay Area and SoCal, still doesn't have high speed CCS. EA has some Coming Soon locations identified but nothing between Firebaugh and Burbank, which is 234 miles including climbing The Grapevine.
That was part of the California Funded CEC "EV Corridor" program in finalized in late 2015.
It appears that the stations that did get installed are all inop right now or construction stopped. ChargePoint won that contract.

California effectively abandoned the EV Corridor project long ago, and we have fewer CCSs per EV than most other states because of it.

There is something strange going on with California's tax funded EV programs. I'm not sure what. I believe the monies were diverted but I don't know where to.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
High speed rail. >:)
That would be plausible if they actually were not years behind schedule. The money "vanished" for the both the HSR and the EV Corridors.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Looks like a wonderful place to social distance and a change of pace from what I have right now (more than 3 inches of rain in last 24 hours with localized flooding). I could use no zoom and no cellular signals of any kind.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Crazy weather. Ayepace is in torrential rain and we're in a severe drought. I'm with Sciencegeek and am ready to take the car on a long mountain trip.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts