Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I turned in the I-Pace on a buyback situation. I drove the I-Pace the last 30 miles back to the dealer. Since March 10th, I've been driving a Tesla Model X, leaving the I-Pace parked. So I have pretty good feel for both cars.

The suspension: I-Pace is still the smoothest and most enthusiastic.
The steering: The I-Pace has steering feel, the Tesla does not.
Comfort: Better seat and ergo for the I-Pace. The Tesla isn't terrible though.
Noise, vibration, harshness: This is not even close. I wonder if there is something wrong with the Tesla. You can hear significant wind and road noise. The drivetrain snatch is more noticeable. The motor 'pulsing' at low speeds is very noticeable.
Room: Tesla wins easily.
Storage: Tesla hold nearly twice the cargo inside.
Towing: North America doesn't let the I-Pace tow, the Tesla is easy to tow with.
Driver's Aids: I'll give this to Jaguar. The 360° camera, the HUD, and the rear Cross Traffic Alert are desperately needed in the Tesla.
EPA range: This is a toughy. The 351 mile Model X actually gets about 260 when 'driven like a Jaguar' and the Jaguar gets 200. So the range estimator in the Tesla is comedy. To compound it, you normally don't charge the Tesla to 100% like you do the Jaguar. So ~234 miles for the MX when charged at 90% vs 200 miles for the I-Pace at 100%.
Regen. The I-Pace has way more regen than the 70 kW max the MX will hit.
Infotainment/phone: Jaguar wins this. No matter how crappy you think JLR's system is, the MX is worse.
Acceleration: At 50% SOC the Jaguar has the advantage. At 100%, they are very close. The Jaguar is setup better to handle the power than the MX is. You tend to use the right foot more in the I-Pace due to the fun factor.

So the MX wins in Range, Capacity, and Towing.
The Jaguar wins in pretty much everything else, and is much more fun to drive.

Why did I choose the Tesla then? It's replacing my pickup. The MX is a better pickup truck than the I-Pace. The I-Pace is a better sedan than the MX is.
I may get another I-Pace in the future. Who knows? A lot of great EVs got put on Hold due to Covid. 2022 should be an exciting year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nicely written up. Though, since you are replacing a pickup, I wonder why you didn't until one of the pickups shipped. An SUV, no matter who makes it, isn't a great pickup, and the Tesla is known for fiddly stuff breaking (the **** gull-wing doors in particular). 8 Upcoming Electric Trucks – 2020

·
Registered
899 Posts
Great write-up.

Any experience with the super charger of the Tesla compared to the DCFC of the I-Pace?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicely written up. Though, since you are replacing a pickup, I wonder why you didn't until one of the pickups shipped. An SUV, no matter who makes it, isn't a great pickup, and the Tesla is known for fiddly stuff breaking (the **** gull-wing doors in particular). 8 Upcoming Electric Trucks – 2020
When the new round of EVs come out, my wife will take over the Model X, then I can get real EV truck. Today, the MX is as close as you can get.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great write-up.

Any experience with the super charger of the Tesla compared to the DCFC of the I-Pace?
This is interesting. Many Supercharger sites are now capped at 70kW peak. At these SC's the I-Pace will smoke the MX since both get about the same miles/kWh. MX LR+ actually holds 91 kWh by my yardstick.

So what about the 'fast' Superchargers? They will hit 140 kW to start out, but they begin to derate quickly at 55% SOC. So if you need to charge to 100% from 20%, the I-Pace is probably going to win.

One thing nice about the Tesla that I wish all EV makers would do, is support 277 vac power. 277 vac is what most commercial lighting runs at. It's one phase of 480v 3-ph power. I have a HPWC set up at work running 277 now. So at a meager 24 amps, it will pump 7 kW. Why only 24 amps? I need to run some 6 AWG wiring, all I have is 10 AWG available right now. When I get the 6 AWG set up, we will see if the 2020 will stop at 11 kW as advertised or 13 kW.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, one more really bizarre observation. What if you park your I-Pace for two months without charging? It goes into a 'deep sleep' and when you wake it up it has 98% of the charge remaining.
What about a 2020 Tesla Model X? About 3% loss per day. No kidding.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh, one more really bizarre observation. What if you park your I-Pace for two months without charging? It goes into a 'deep sleep' and when you wake it up it has 98% of the charge remaining.
What about a 2020 Tesla Model X? About 3% loss per day. No kidding.
Isnt the boot up sequence for the Tesla much faster for the Tesla though?
I guess it's a trade off with phantom drain or very slow boot times. Would rather have something in between

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
PS702, if you mean about the Jaguar since latest updates and 19C my I Pace boots very fast. Most of infotainment is up within a few seconds and most of the time nav is up within 10. Far cry from the “start the car, go make coffee, come back.”

The phantom drain on Teslas is not just from quick boot up. That can‘t explain the power drain of a 90 KWHr battery at those rates. The entire infotainment can be on all the time and the battery wouldn’t take that much of a hit. It must be leaks in the “shut offs” and/or constant running of the thermal management pumps, etc.

It is a constant fear that you will brick your Tesla if you don’t plug it in, or the charger has a fault, or like in my case there are firmware bugs that don’t trigger charging in storage mode. Not to mention you can’t store your Tesla in storage units if they don’t have power supplied.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The I-Pace remains my favorite daily car of all time.
This. Seriously. I can't think of a more overall enjoyable, competent, comfortable daily driver. The I-Pace excels in so many ways.

But it's no pickup truck. I sold my pickup truck. Don't miss it.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
489 Posts
The I-Pace remains my favorite daily car of all time.
Thanks. Your comparison was great to read. Just goes to show that one man's thoroughbred, is another man's donkey. If the car does not meet your needs, then it doesn't matter what else it does.
I hope you finally get an electric truck that drives well and feel luxuroius, but my fear is that etrucks will be marketed towards the mass market and utility rather than driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
I hope you finally get an electric truck that drives well and feel luxuroius, but my fear is that etrucks will be marketed towards the mass market and utility rather than driving.
I am cautiously optimistic about this. EV drivetrains, performance, and battery placement naturally make for a better driving experience if engineering takes advantages of the possibilities. I think we'll get better EV trucks than the ICEs that are currently on the road. Of course utility is the primary objective, but given that, the experience should be better by comparison to what's available today.

·
Registered
550 Posts
McRat, thanks for this post, MX and I-Pace comparison, and your nearly 1,500 posts which have always been spot on. Accurate, fair, and detailed MX vs. I-Pace comparisons are far and few between. The range, seating capacity and 'ludicrous' speed of the MX were tempting, but the Falcon Wing doors and weak handling steered me away. 18 months later still quite happy with my decision to 'take a chance on Jaguar' with the I-Pace. Sorry to see you moving on from yours - wish you best of luck!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Loved all your posts. Hope to see you back here one day, or bump into you at some future EV pickup forum. I hope to “need” a pickup one day...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts