Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Tire Rotation

11K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  PS702 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any good estimates of when (mileage) to rotate the tires?

Also, do we rotate like a rear wheel? Straight back, and cross to front?

And, does anybody have the torque specs for the lugs?

#4 ·
But, the manual says nothing (that I could find and, the **** thing is written with so many side notes and warnings that it seems to abandon all pretensions to coherency) about how/when to rotate the tires. TIRE ROTATION and ROTATION are not in the index. And, I could find no reference in the manual in the sections about tires/testing pressure/replacing/etc ... about rotation.

So - does anybody know?

#5 ·
I worked for Bridgestone/Firestone as a mechanic for a number of years and we would recommend rotation every 3k - 5k miles, basically same time you did an oil change. For me personally I rotate every 5k. Follow rear wheel cross pattern for awd. Front wheels to back, LR to RF, RR to LF.
I also use a tire depth gauge to keep track of tread depth. If I notice some uneven wear, I rotate.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/tire-talk/tire-rotation

#18 ·
I worked for Bridgestone/Firestone as a mechanic for a number of years and we would recommend rotation every 3k - 5k miles, basically same time you did an oil change. For me personally I rotate every 5k. Follow rear wheel cross pattern for awd. Front wheels to back, LR to RF, RR to LF.
I also use a tire depth gauge to keep track of tread depth. If I notice some uneven wear, I rotate.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/tire-talk/tire-rotation

Rotating tires every 3 months is absolutely no needed and exposes the car to tire mechanics who are animals and could care less about climbing in your car dirty and greasy, drag a hose over your hood or let the wheels sit rim side down on concrete.

Mike

#12 ·
In the iGuide / Owners Manual, under “Replacement Tires”, there is a warning which says “Do not rotate the tires around the vehicle.” That’s the only mention I’ve seen of tire rotation in the manual, and that isn’t exactly clear on if it means no tire rotation at all, or just rotate front-to-back but not from left to right.

#17 ·
The tire warranty pamphlet that came with mine has a page with a log that should be filled in. It is expecting tire rotation at 6 months/6000 miles/10,000km.

Would they deny a warranty claim is this is not done?

It also says "Tires supplied as Original Equipment are not eligible for any tread life warranty consideration."

#19 ·
If the tread is wearing smooth and flat across the tread the rotation is overrated IMO. This would be more of a front drive mini van issue that wear the fronts at 4x the rate of the rears.
I expect to never do a tire rotation unless the dealer offers to do it free during a service.

And I agree... going in for service creates a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle.

#20 ·
I'm reviving this older thread as I was looking for the proper torque value for lug nuts when I install my winter wheels and tires later today. I found it in the iGUIDE, although it took some searching. It was under the "Wheel Changing" section. The proper torque value is 133 Nm (98 lb./ft.).

#22 ·
That torque split doesn't seem correct since I wouldn't expect to see the acceleration available in Comfort mode (quite substantial!) if one of the motors was taking a siesta during the event. Does the split change based on the accelerator demand required?

Us minor league science geeks want to know! ;):geek:

#24 · (Edited)
I rotated front to rears and vice versa at 20,000km (12,000mi) Fronts were at 40% and rears at 60% (20" wheels). Most driving was done in Comfort mode so its wearing fronts more.
Now I have 2 sets of 20" wheels I'll be rotating probably at 10,000km intervals and can do it at home to avoid any damage with the tire shops.

#26 ·
I went in for 21k miles service (at 19,500) and asked them to check if my tires needed rotating and do it if they did. Since this is something they charge for I'd expect them to just say "yup" and do it but they said they didn't need it and they were at a level 6 or something of tread and would need replacing at 3? I'm butchering the terminology here but they said they'd rotate them next service which is around 40k... For all wheel drive on 20' that seems the standard range for replacement, not rotation? I think I will be following your lead and trying to do at home though I know absolutely nothing about how to do it, I'll probably hit up youtube because like you, I try to avoid any shop like the plague. When I had ceramic coating done I caught some sweaty/wet dude who looked like he'd got out of the pool trying to hop in my car to pull it around for a detailing (free service one week or more after the ceramic coating) and that was a big "NOPE" and I grabbed the keys and got the f out of there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.