Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My OEM Goodyears are wearing and it's time to change. My experience with all Goodyears has been less than stellar. I've always had success with Michelin and Continental but it appears options are limited due to the 20".

2019/HSE 400 245/50 R 20

I want quiet, smooth riding, all-weather tires (I live in rainy/snowy Ohio/US).

Recommendations outside of Goodyear & Firestone?

Joe

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE
94 Posts
I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus in the 255/50R20 on mine after winter this year. They have been a lot better than the stock goodyears and actually put the 20" wheels in spec with the outside diameter of the oem tires on the 18" and 22" wheel options.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus in the 255/50R20 on mine after winter this year. They have been a lot better than the stock goodyears and actually put the 20" wheels in spec with the outside diameter of the oem tires on the 18" and 22" wheel options.
Looks like that model is no longer made. Local shop couldn't get them. Went with Continental CrossContact™ LX25.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE
94 Posts
The DWS06 Plus is still listed on Continental’s website and TireRack has them listed as in stock. Just checked one of my local dealer websites and they list in stock as well. Maybe it’s a regional warehouse issue for your area.

Looking at the LX25 on conti’s site the speed and load ratings are lower then the requirements Jaguar specified. 102H vs 105V, if they haven’t been installed yet I’d check with another shop.

·
Registered
2020 S
147 Posts
Discount Tire has the DWS06 Plus. I plan on getting these as soon as I can wear down the Goodyears to a reasonable level. I may even "forget" to rotate them to help them along. The DWS06 without the "Plus" is the tire that was discontinued.

Discount Tire has the 245/50R20 LX25, but their website doesn't show it's compatible with the I-Pace - probably due to the 102H and SL ratings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just replaced my OEM Goodyear Eagles with a pathetic 30,000 miles on them. In the second winter I had them, they were worthless. Upon recommendation of my "tire guy", whom I trust, I went with a set of Bridgestone Alenzas. The tread is design more like a true all-season tire and I was assured I would like the handling in the snow. They are a bit noisier, albeit not extremely noticeable. My wife said she didn't notice the difference, but she doesn't have my professionally honed hearing to notice every little noise which comes from anywhere in the car. It is a blessing and a curse. However, handling has been good although I am not an aggressive driver. I am looking forward to tackling some snow roads this December on my way to the ski trails. As of now, so far, so good. Oh, and they are comparably priced; I got all four installed for about $925.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The DWS06 Plus is still listed on Continental’s website and TireRack has them listed as in stock. Just checked one of my local dealer websites and they list in stock as well. Maybe it’s a regional warehouse issue for your area.

Looking at the LX25 on conti’s site the speed and load ratings are lower then the requirements Jaguar specified. 102H vs 105V, if they haven’t been installed yet I’d check with another shop.
i dont plan going 130mph or anywhere near but point taken. < 80mph cruiser is all i need this phase on “The Clarkson”. He would disagree and want speed and power but maybe next set.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Please correct me If I'm wrong. If you put on tires that are out of spec from the manufacture's specs, don't you risk voiding your auto insurance if you are in an accident? Over spec is one thing, but under spec would give the insurance company a perfect reason not to pay. And we all know, insurance company's love not paying.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be concerned with sidewall strength with lesser speced tires. The car is SUV-class heavy and needs to be properly supported at all speeds.

Ok, all. Alarmed at the mistake I was about to make, called the shop and canceled the tires. I called a couple places and cannot get any Continental tires anywhere. Went with Cooper tires to satisfy speed & sidewall specs required. Apparently this tire is somewhat rare?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE
94 Posts
Ok, all. Alarmed at the mistake I was about to make, called the shop and canceled the tires. I called a couple places and cannot get any Continental tires anywhere. Went with Cooper tires to satisfy speed & sidewall specs required. Apparently this tire is somewhat rare?
Don't think they are rare at all, even Amazon has the 255/50ZR20 in stock with free 2 day prime shipping. If you are asking the tire shops for just the plain dws06 version that was discontinued a while ago. If you are asking for the OEM sizing of 245/50R20 they don't make it, but the dws06 plus sized at 255/50ZR20 works perfectly fine with no rubbing/clearance issues. Now I actually find my speed more accurate when driving by radar signs with them compared to the goodyears which were always 1-2mph slower on the sign vs what my speedometer said.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
If snow season is substantial, all-season is still a questionable choice for such heavy and powerful car.
If you decide to go with two dedicated sets, for the summer I'd suggest taking a look at Laufenn S Fit AS. It's no compromise in every aspect, and is half price of any major brand.
Matching it with a reasonable winter set, it won't be much more overall than a single premium all-season set, but you get way better performance in both scenarios, and ~2X tread life.

Otherwise, Conti DWS is probably the closest to what you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After more than 3 years driving my 2019 First Edition which came with Pirellis I have completed more than $30K miles and my tyres are about half worn and they run really quiet. I am very impressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks. My OEM Goodyears are wearing and it's time to change. My experience with all Goodyears has been less than stellar. I've always had success with Michelin and Continental but it appears options are limited due to the 20".

2019/HSE 400 245/50 R 20

Joe
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV 20”. Slightly larger circumference Is fine. Just check inner guard liners are not loose. Have had our iPace for 3 years and 96,000 km completely trouble free. Just fitted our second set of Michelins. Goodyears were poor original choice by Jaguar yet they are still standard on new car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
???? you can put any brand of tire you want on this car and the 20" size is very common, so you should have many options to suit your price point, but you have to be mindful of a few basic parameters. Ayepace's message cautions you to ensure the tires are properly rated for SUV weights and speeds. The manufacturer (jaguar) provides recommendations for various tire sizes and pressures which can be found on a decal located in your driver's door jamb.

Theoretically any DOT approved tire that fits the car and is within the above parameters, and properly mounted and balanced and torqued and such will work on the car. The issue becomes what quality of tire and how much you have to spend or are willing to spend. it is otherwise nonsense to suggest there would be insurance consequences if "caught" using a non-recommended brand tire. If you are driving on bald, worn out tires and get in a crash, or injure someone or worse, then there would be insurance consequences if "caught" so to speak.

·
Registered
119 Posts
???? you can put any brand of tire you want on this car and the 20" size is very common, so you should have many options to suit your price point, but you have to be mindful of a few basic parameters. Ayepace's message cautions you to ensure the tires are properly rated for SUV weights and speeds. The manufacturer (jaguar) provides recommendations for various tire sizes and pressures which can be found on a decal located in your driver's door jamb.

Theoretically any DOT approved tire that fits the car and is within the above parameters, and properly mounted and balanced and torqued and such will work on the car. The issue becomes what quality of tire and how much you have to spend or are willing to spend. it is otherwise nonsense to suggest there would be insurance consequences if "caught" using a non-recommended brand tire. If you are driving on bald, worn out tires and get in a crash, or injure someone or worse, then there would be insurance consequences if "caught" so to speak.
I never said there was insurance consequences for using a non-recommended Brand....my insurance comment was about using under spec tires. Insurance investigators are trained to go over everything with a fine tooth comb to see if they can avoid payouts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts