Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer says I CANNOT tint the glass roof (moonroof). I know it has UV glazing and it factory darkened, but it is not dark enough for my tastes/needs. In the past I have limo tinted glass roof panels with ceramic tint. Takes almost all heat away.

Is there a reason the I-Pace roof cannot be tinted, or is the dealer wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
My dealer says I CANNOT tint the glass roof (moonroof). I know it has UV glazing and it factory darkened, but it is not dark enough for my tastes/needs. In the past I have limo tinted glass roof panels with ceramic tint. Takes almost all heat away.

Thanks!
I can't find the post, but one of the Florida owners added tint to roof and the front side windows. So it should be possible without destroying anything.

The roof doesn't let in too much heat, so I'm assuming you don't want the amount of light coming through.
If you also want to address the heat, most of mine here in Florida comes in on the front side windows and the front windshield. I would fix those for any heat problems. I'm planning to do mine (have been planning for 4 months), but just haven't made the appointment for quotes on Xpel or 3M Ceramic IR.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
603 Posts

Thanks!
You can always opt for the sunroof shade:
https://accessories.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace/interior/function-technology/t4k11558-panoramic-roof-sunshade/#tertiary-tabs

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would skip the tint and put a vinyl wrap on the outside roof. Union Jack or something equally fun.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would skip the tint and put a vinyl wrap on the outside roof. Union Jack or something equally fun.
Hmmm, never thought of an exterior glass panoramic roof wrap. Can this be done on glass?

Can they do this w/o having to remove the glass roof (as they do an car panels for wrapping)? :-O

Does exterior glass vinyl wraps hold up in high heat, car washes, rain....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
I live in Texas and even in 100+ degree days I was surprised how little heat could be felt coming through the top glass. Originally I had similar concerns, but I don't any longer.

I did add top-tier Llumar Stratos ceramic tint to the front side windows and a lot of heat reduction was quite noticeable there. I feel no more heat from direct sunlight through those tinted sides than I do from the top so I think the heat/IR/UV rejection on the top is really about as good as you'll get without going to the sunroof shade insert nath_h mentioned or an external wrap. If you did add tint on the inside top it probably will probably be fine until someone decides to remove it, potentially tearing off coating Jaguar has applied and possibly leaving it looking splotchy. I would be very hesitant to risk that when there are other options.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Texas and even in 100+ degree days I was surprised how little heat could be felt coming through the top glass. Originally I had similar concerns, but I don't any longer.

I did add top-tier Llumar Stratos ceramic tint to the front side windows and a lot of heat reduction was quite noticeable there. I feel no more heat from direct sunlight through those tinted sides than I do from the top so I think the heat/IR/UV rejection on the top is really about as good as you'll get without going to the sunroof shade insert nath_h mentioned or an external wrap. If you did add tint on the inside top it probably will probably be fine until someone decides to remove it, potentially tearing off coating Jaguar has applied and possibly leaving it looking splotchy. I would be very hesitant to risk that when there are other options.
Thanks Storm. Where I live in So.Cal it is normal for June to Oct temps to be consistently 90-110F DAILY. So good to hear about the roof glass being so good.

I have an appt. tomorrow for the ceramic tint on the 2 side windows (A LOT of heat can be felt thru them). The front windshield/windscreen on my new I-Pace has the marking for thermal glass (like top of the line Range Rovers have). Works so well. I wish Jaguar would have made the front side windows thermal glass like the windshield and roof!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also went with xpel on the front sides and windshield. The front sides match the same as the rear windows. The front is a 70%. Works well to reduce heat further though havent had the car in the summer yet here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also went with xpel on the front sides and windshield. The front sides match the same as the rear windows. The front is a 70%. Works well to reduce heat further though havent had the car in the summer yet here in Canada.
Your HSE already has UV/Thermal glass for the windshield, you might not have needed to tint the windshield (I tinted only my side front windows).

Unless Canada is different....if you look at the symbols/markings in the lower corner of your windshield, you will see a symbol with a thermometer...that's UV/Thermal blocking glass!! HSE (maybe SE and S, not sure), but HSE in USA comes with standard windshield UV glass...and it works amazingly well (same as I had in my last 3 Range Rovers).!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hmmm, never thought of an exterior glass panoramic roof wrap. Can this be done on glass?

Can they do this w/o having to remove the glass roof (as they do an car panels for wrapping)? :-O

Does exterior glass vinyl wraps hold up in high heat, car washes, rain....

Thanks!
You can vinyl wrap glass. I don't see why they would need to remove body panels to wrap. I've seen tons of cars with the roof wrapped in faux carbon. No panels needed removal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your HSE already has UV/Thermal glass for the windshield, you might not have needed to tint the windshield (I tinted only my side front windows).

Unless Canada is different....if you look at the symbols/markings in the lower corner of your windshield, you will see a symbol with a thermometer...that's UV/Thermal blocking glass!! HSE (maybe SE and S, not sure), but HSE in USA comes with standard windshield UV glass...and it works amazingly well (same as I had in my last 3 Range Rovers).!!
Good to know - I'll have to remember for my next I-Pace.?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts