Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few tests I've discovered that battery preconditioning does not occur when set outside of a timed charging window. For example, if I set a departure time for 10:00AM and timed charging for midnight to 6:00AM the battery does not precondition. I verified this on the Details page of WattCat. There's a field listed as Battery Precon that lists three responses On, Off, Unknown. If a departure time is within the charge time Battery Precon will show "On" and my charging app will show energy transfer to the car. Once outside the charge time, Battery Precon will show "Off".

With the car unplugged, a departure time will use 2 kWh to 3 kWh of battery power which equates to 4-6 miles lost. I don't use departure times when leaving for short trips as it's inefficient. I try to use departure times only when the car is plugged in to keep the battery full and to precondition the battery for better efficiency.

Does anyone have a system that works for them?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The manual says that: "(a configured departure time) also preconditions the high voltage battery to its optimum operating temperature when the vehicle is connected to an external charging station." I take that to mean that the energy use you observe when unplugged is being used exclusively to heat or cool the cabin. I suppose you could also generously read that to explain the behavior you observed while plugged in, but outside a configured charging window.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual says that: "(a configured departure time) also preconditions the high voltage battery to its optimum operating temperature when the vehicle is connected to an external charging station." I take that to mean that the energy use you observe when unplugged is being used exclusively to heat or cool the cabin. I suppose you could also generously read that to explain the behavior you observed while plugged in, but outside a configured charging window.
You're absolutely correct, kkemp. The departure/preconditioning works per the owners manual. Unplugged the energy is used to heat/cool the cabin and plugged in but outside the timed charge window energy is used for the same thing.

I think there is an expectation that the battery is preconditioned whenever the car is plugged in but this isn't true. If a departure time is outside of the timed charge window then battery preconditioning does not occur.

I also believe that the 2-3kWh used to heat/cool the cabin when a departure time is set is inefficient when going on short trips. It's nice to get into a comfortable car but the lost energy/range may not be worth the comfort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts