Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is HUD a must have feature? For the money, would you rather get another option?

As much as I like its, I don't utilize it that much. I would rather have the Suede headliner for the money

·
Registered
247 Posts
HUD is the one feature I would add to my car. I had it on my Camaro and really liked and used it. It was more basic than the I-Pace but I didn't have to look down to see my speed or RPMs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a non-functioning HUD for the first 3 weeks or so I owned the car, and really wanted it when I didn't have it. Now that I've had it for a while I'm on the fence. It's very large and too bright for my taste, even on its dimmest setting.

The thing I really wanted it for was the ACC "situational awareness display." Steering assist frequently silently disengages on my commute and the situational awareness display in the main instrument panel is far away in a lower corner. Now that I have it, it's not as useful as I'd hoped - although the HUD can display multiple colors, JLR chose to display the lane-line status all in white, which makes it harder to tell when the car can and cannot read the lane lines vs. the green/gray lines in the instrument panel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't like it and don't regret not having it. I glance down when I need to know my speed. I can see and hear the turning directions from the nav system easily. The focus should be on driving this fantastic machine, which requires a clear view of the horizon!

·
Registered
391 Posts
If a choice between headliner and HUD, I pick HUD. I rarely look up at the minimal amount of headliner in the North America market I-pace (they all have the glass roof).
I use my HUD and rarely look at the instrument display. I probably use it for speed checking, and validating cruise control setting and engagement more than the other features.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is HUD a must have feature? For the money, would you rather get another option?

As much as I like its, I don't utilize it that much. I would rather have the Suede headliner for the money
Absolute no brainer in my mind. The HUD allows the driver to keep their eyes on the road, not the suede headliner, while driving. There is a reason this type of display originated on airforce jets.
As an additional benefit, as we age (and I'm sure many of us are there already), the need for bifocals to read the dash and see the road clearly becomes more common. The HUD has a sufficient focal depth to eliminate that issue.
I would not have bought my FE if HUD was not an option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have always found it easier to negotiate a larger amount off a car with lots of options, as they are always overpriced in the first place. Maybe you could just get both! I personally like my HUD as it keeps me from going as fast as I would like to go. Cheers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is my third car with a HUD and it was a must-have for me. Like others said, it allows you to keep your eyes on the road without glancing down. After having cars with it, in cars without it I felt uncomfortable having to look down into the car to see key info.. like I was having to take my eyes off the road for too long.

A good point was made about focal length. Since the projector lens makes the focal point of the HUD info appear to farther away than it is, yours eyes don't have to shift focus much or divert off the road so far when attempting to check speed on the lane-keeping system indicators. The only indicator I wish it had that is missing is a turn signal indicator. Sometimes I find myself uncertain as to whether I've successfully engaged lane-change signaling or not and have to look down into the instrument panel to find the flashing light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All information presented in the HUD is available elsewhere so I would not consider it a must have. However, I really like it and would order it again.

The car wants to speed so badly, that a flashing speed limit sign always in my field of view is helpful.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I originally bought the FE so everything came standard. When I ordered my HSE to 'delete' the heated windshield (long story documented elsewhere on this forum), I was only 3 mos into ownership. A year later (15 mos in I-Pace) I have to say I'm on the fence. For the money I'd take the suede headliner OR full leather wrap over the HUD (approx. equivalent value?), if I had to choose. It's useful and I don't dislike it, but not sure I'd re-spend $970 for it again. Cool tech, but marginally beneficial.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I originally bought the FE so everything came standard. When I ordered my HSE to 'delete' the heated windshield (long story documented elsewhere on this forum), I was only 3 mos into ownership. A year later (15 mos in I-Pace) I have to say I'm on the fence. For the money I'd take the suede headliner OR full leather wrap over the HUD (approx. equivalent value?), if I had to choose. It's useful and I don't dislike it, but not sure I'd re-spend $970 for it again. Cool tech, but marginally beneficial.
I see the HUD the as you. Maybe I need to drive more to get used to it. I have driven 2k miles after 4 moths

I do love the full leather wrap, but thats $1500, which should be standard IMO

·
Registered
521 Posts
Never tried a HUD but just seems like a distraction to me. No thanks, I will just carry that $970 in my wallet thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It came with my first edition I-Pace and I would get it again. I enjoy the simplicity of it. The things I need to see most often are in front of me all the time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I like the HUD. I don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't throw a car out of bed over no HUD. I still prefer it, though. It is a luxury.

·
Registered
263 Posts
An older Cadillac XLR I had featured one, but with very little information by comparison (just mph as I recall). I still liked it as a fun feature and wow factor.

This one wasn't a decision since it was standard with the FE trim, but I knew I'd like the wow factor again. However, I really find this a valuable thing now, especially with the speed limit recognized and displayed. Also, I could tell the XLR's speed by the engine noise and I cannot do so with the I-Pace. The two parts of that are important to me, since the car puts on speed so effortlessly and silently.

I don't use it for navigation much, since I don't use nav much in general. When I have on some occasions I think it's valuable there to me as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't like it and don't regret not having it. I glance down when I need to know my speed. I can see and hear the turning directions from the nav system easily. The focus should be on driving this fantastic machine, which requires a clear view of the horizon!
Hey - heads-up displays were first developed for jet fighters, and Jet Jocks love 'em. Too little time to glance away from the horizon/boggies! Not as necessary on a car, but I like mine. Favorite feature is the next-turn on the Jag proprietary nav; wish that Google Maps could display up there! Jaguar product managers - are you listening?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like being able to keep my eyes on the road. Being of “that age” where bifocals or progressives are now needed, not having to shift focus and use a different part of the lens is handy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The HUD is one of those things that I thought was kinda neat but I don't need it; until I had it! Now I can't imagine driving without it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts