Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on an I-Pace app for iOS, similarly to WattCat for Android, but unlike the WattCat, this app is in it's early stages, and not ready to replace the official Remote app.
However, it does offer a couple of things the official app doesn't. Here's a quick list of features:
  • See the state of charge, range, charge status, remaining time.
  • Limit the state of charge while charging. The app will periodically check the state of charge in the background, and stop the charging process if desired SoC has been reached.
  • Lock / Unlock the vehicle.
  • Lock the vehicle even if it's already locked, but not all windows have been closed. The car will then close its windows.
  • See the lock / window status door by door.
  • Start the preconditioning / climate.
  • Camper mode. In this mode, the app will periodically check whether the climate / preconditioning has stopped, and if yes, it'll restart it.
  • Tyre pressures info.
  • Today widget with lock / unlock operation, as well as SoC and range info + charging status.
If anyone's interested in it, please sign up using this form: Sign up for MyPace iOS TestFlight access
Note: you need to have this app installed in order to be able to get the beta builds: ‎TestFlight

Here're a couple of screenshots from the dev phase: MyPace Screenshots - Google Drive

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds good. I was thinking of trying to write something (I have been writing macOS since the late 80's and did an iPad app a few years ago to try out iOS). If you are looking for coders, I might have some time, but happy to try out what you've done otherwise!

Thanks for doing this!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Call me paranoid, but it's someone posting for the very first time and asking us to sign-up which might very well give access to my car's data. Why should I trust you before I sign-up for testing?

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
Call me paranoid, but it's someone posting for the very first time and asking us to sign-up which might very well give access to my car's data. Why should I trust you before I sign-up for testing?
I agree. Also, it looks like this user registered about a day ago. It could very well be safe and legitimate, but it seems risky to me as of now. Also, trying to figure out where johnnyhush has registered. Is that flag Serbia??

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I agree. Also, it looks like this user registered about a day ago. It could very well be safe and legitimate, but it seems risky to me as of now. Also, trying to figure out where johnnyhush has registered. Is that flag Serbia??
Good eye. Yes, that is Serbia. I would follow I-Pace's lead with a huge scoop of skepticsm without more info from Johnnyhush

·
Registered
174 Posts
I added the beta app to my iPhone today, and it does what it says it does. One requirement is it runs through Apple’s TestFlight, in which according to their EUA, Apple monitors all data flowing out of the iPace App.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
Being an iOS developer (and other platforms), I can tell you that TestFlight itself is only tracking usage data and crash logs. Each time the app crashes it stores data that the developer can use to recreate the crash. It doesn't directly monitor the content of the data in the comms from the app to wherever its servers are but some of that data could be resurrected from the crash logs. I also started the beginnings of an iOS app for the I-Pace and so far I have it able to do the authorization sequence, pull the status of the car, and lock/unlock it. Unfortunately I haven't had time to get any further due to having to work crunch hours for work trying to salvage our work there and get it out on time.

Although I have no reason to believe the developer here has any ill intent, you should be aware that the app does have access to your username and password since it has to be able to supply them to the JLR server in text form, although it transmits that via a secured https connection (in other words, on the web the username/password and everything else is encrypted).

Ideally, the developer will store the password in the Apple secure Keychain. This was one of the first things I did. But it is possible for a developer to do store it in a plain data store in unencrypted form even though that would not proper practice. In any case, stored securely or not, the username and password could theoretically be transmitted somewhere other than JLR. I am NOT saying that is what OP is doing and I have no reason to doubt his good intentions. Most any app could do this, even WattCat, and many of us here trust it and that developer enough to enter our account info there.

My bottom line advice for full safety here is that since your username and password are theoretically accessible to any app developer for apps that you use, make sure that your password for InControl is different from any other password you have on an important account. That is a good practice for any username/password combo but I understand in reality that is often not the case.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too am trying the app and find it quite good. Showing things like tire pressures is particularly useful. It certainly gives more info than In Control. I do keep a unique password.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In any case, stored securely or not, the username and password could theoretically be transmitted somewhere other than JLR. I am NOT saying that is what OP is doing and I have no reason to doubt his good intentions. Most any app could do this, even WattCat, and many of us here trust it and that developer enough to enter our account info there.
That's why all such projects like this should be open source so we can look at the code and evaluate whether to give it passwords that give it control of our car's functions. Even then there is no guarantee that the program we installed was compiled from the exact same code as what's in the repository without any changes to where passwords get stored or transmitted to. It's like ingredients labels on food. If you care what's in it you can look and hope it's accurate but without it you can't even look at what is supposedly in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the interest & feedback. Got some positive comments over the last couple of days, and I'm glad some folks find this additional app useful.

The truth is I am new to this forum, and the main reason to register was to tell you all about the app. I'm more active on the European version (i.e ipaceforums.co.uk), mostly because it was the first one that came up back in the day when I was searching.

Regarding concerns about accounts and how different apps handle these: my opinion is that we should all try to be careful and think twice before acting.
Even though StormRune is right, any app can potentially transmit data you don't want it to, there are ways to check if an app is doing so. More details can be found in my post here: Third party app for I-Pace on iOS - Page 5 - Jaguar I-Pace Forum (Re: How comfortable are you giving your incontrol login name and password to a third party?)
I'm not saying it's a straightforward process, but it can be checked.

For the foreseeable future, the app will not have a "server component". This effectively means it'll only communicate with JLR API, nothing else.
The downside is that it will run in the background for camper mode, or when limiting the state of charge, but on the other hand, it's good because your private data stays on the phone.
Access and refresh tokens used to communicate with JLR API are stored securely on the device using keychain encryption. Credentials are not stored on the device. Tokens which are stored in the keychain can be revoked using InControl website. Feel free to reach out for details.

At some point in future I would like to be able to offer server side services, like server side camper mode, limit SoC, and even more like notifications when you forget to lock your car (e.g get a notification if the car is not locked, say 5 or 10mins after the ignition has been turned off). But even if that happens, it'd be an optional feature, only if someone wants to use it.

Yes - the flag is Serbia :) I got a lot of feedback since the initial build came out with kilometers and Celsius - simply because I initially didn't plan to publish the app, but today another build came out with support for miles and deg Fahrenheit, and additional units for tire pressures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple of things to note for those trying out the alpha:

• This is still alpha phase, crashes and issues are to be expected.
  • While the app is active and on screen, the car information will be constantly refreshed. This means you should not keep the app open for prolonged periods of time if the ignition is off and the car is not charging, because it will deplete the 12V battery. As soon as you move the app to background, the constant refresh stops.
  • Today widget is designed for performing quick actions, therefore no error messages will be shown in the widget. When tapping on preconditioning button, for target temperature, the widget will reuse the last temperature you had set. For locking / unlocking the vehicle, the widget will use the PIN which is securely store on device's keychain. Note that the phone doesn't have to be unlocked for the today widget to work. That means it is possible to unlock the car without unlocking your phone. That works for me, make sure it works for you before activating the widget.
  • Tire pressures shown in the app are ~0.2bar lower than actual values. This is an issue with JLR software, and it might get fixed at some point.
List of features currently available:
  • Limit the state of charge while charging. The app will periodically check the state of charge in the background, and stop the charging process if desired SoC has been reached.
  • See the state of charge, range, charge status, remaining time.
  • Lock / Unlock the vehicle.
  • FaceID or TouchID instead of PIN for locking and unlocking using the app (PIN has to be entered the first time for the biometrics to kick in).
  • Lock the vehicle even if it's already locked, but not all windows have been closed. The car will then close its windows.
  • See the lock / window status door by door.
  • Start the preconditioning / climate.
  • Camper mode. In this mode, the app will periodically check whether the climate / preconditioning has stopped, and if yes, it'll restart it.
  • Tyre pressures info.
  • Today widget with lock / unlock operation, as well as SoC and range info + charging status.
  • Change units for range, temperature and tire pressures.
The next feature will probably be support for Apple Watch. It's going to be quick and simple interface, like the Today Widget, where you can get the charge info, percentage, range, and perform quick actions like start climate, lock, and unlock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just released another update:

• Added Apple Watch app.
  • Numeric keyboards for target temperature and desired state of charge now have a 'Done' button.
  • Limit SoC logic improvements.
The watch app supports circular, modular, and utilitarian small complications, so you can put a shortcut on your watch face, e.g: IMG_7755.PNG

·
Registered
123 Posts
Despite turning on Face Recognition in Settings, MyPace asks me for ID and password even time. It doesn't even store the password like Jag. Remote.

But I do like the added functions! Please get FR to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest, I don't know. I use just one, but as long as that secondary user profile can use the official Remote app, should be able to use this one as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts