Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the very few pet peeves I have with kitty are the absurd cup holders. I’ve never seen anything like them. I’m always struggling with the 3 rubber bumpers/dimples in each holder. They effectively resist your every effort when inserting or removing a cup. Depending on the size of the cup, considerable force can be required to insert or remove a cup.

Then there’s the incredible squeaking noise the insertion/removal process makes as the rubber dimples resist your every action! My wife would endlessly tease me as she knows how sensitive I am to squeaks in a car. Who would think the only squeak would come from this?

So I’ve kept Amazon in business ordering different cup holders to eliminate this issue. At this point I have so many I can open up a cup holder store. Too big, too tall, too small, too ungainly, ugly, none have worked...until yesterday.

These are actually designed as Model 3 cup holder inserts, and they work! They become all but invisible, fit very snugly and hold most drinks without the drama. If you’ve been looking for something like this, give them a try. For me they work beautifully.

·
Registered
607 Posts
One of the very few pet peeves I have with kitty are the absurd cup holders. I’ve never seen anything like them. I’m always struggling with the 3 rubber bumpers/dimples in each holder. They effectively resist your every effort when inserting or removing a cup. Depending on the size of the cup, considerable force can be required to insert or remove a cup.

Then there’s the incredible squeaking noise the insertion/removal process makes as the rubber dimples resist your every action! My wife would endlessly tease me as she knows how sensitive I am to squeaks in a car. Who would think the only squeak would come from this?

So I’ve kept Amazon in business ordering different cup holders to eliminate this issue. At this point I have so many I can open up a cup holder store. Too big, too tall, too small, too ungainly, ugly, none have worked...until yesterday.

These are actually designed as Model 3 cup holder inserts, and they work! They become all but invisible, fit very snugly and hold most drinks without the drama. If you’ve been looking for something like this, give them a try. For me they work beautifully.

Do the inserts push back the rubber bumpers and give more space for a larger cup?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the inserts push back the rubber bumpers and give more space for a larger cup?
Correct. Because they're a tight fit, they push & retract the bumpers while maximizing the interior of the cup holder itself. For me they function as nothing more than a 'bumper retractor' which was always my goal. I was getting so desperate that I actually considered cutting off the bumpers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's funny to see people struggling with that , and other (me) that has never use them a single time in 35 years of driving... The plastic cover of the cup holder is still in place in the Jag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yesterday my new thermal cup pulled the entire assembly out! Thanks for the tip and yes, I'll be buying. Where do I sent the commission check?
Ironic that a smaller diameter makes the holders bigger so to speak......

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, I suppose if you used a hammer to get the larger cups in and a wrench to remove them, you wouldn't gain anything with these inserts. :giggle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My attempted pulling out of the stainless steel thermal mug was actually comical. It almost became a knock down drag out fight so a good thing the car make me cooler headed than I used to be.....(except when passing)
I don't like the suggestion of various tools for insertion and extraction- trying to reduce excess weight! :geek:

·
Registered
2020 S
15 Posts
You can't discount the value of a well designed cup holder. I ended up with a lap full of hot coffee on my way to work one morning in my previous BMW. I took a corner a little too quickly for the cup holder and my tall coffee mug came toppling out. I'm working from home for at least the next 2-3 months due to Covid, so I haven't tried out the cup holder in the I-Pace yet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You can't discount the value of a well designed cup holder. I ended up with a lap full of hot coffee on my way to work one morning in my previous BMW. I took a corner a little too quickly for the cup holder and my tall coffee mug came toppling out. I'm working from home for at least the next 2-3 months due to Covid, so I haven't tried out the cup holder in the I-Pace yet.
Agreed! I has a shallow cup holder in a Saab and spilled Gatorade all over the center console and shorted the window switches. Expensive spill!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks Ken, I owe you another one! BTW...just got an Email from Jaguar South Bay (LA area) listing large discounts on their 6 remaining 2019s...these are $20-25K. As you know, I purchased mine already from another dealer down there who is also ready to deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Received mine today, and ... alas, they're too small to accommodate the things I usually want to take in the car - my Contigo and Brita water bottles, my commuter cups .... Maybe I'll keep them handy for the rare occasions when I want to transport a 12-oz soft drink cup, or bottled water, but ... back to careful shoving and pulling, gang!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Received mine today, and ... alas, they're too small to accommodate the things I usually want to take in the car - my Contigo and Brita water bottles, my commuter cups .... Maybe I'll keep them handy for the rare occasions when I want to transport a 12-oz soft drink cup, or bottled water, but ... back to careful shoving and pulling, gang!
I had the same experience. What I did find was that these inserts seemed to stretch/loosen the grip on my bottle a bit. After about a day with the inserts in, I took them out and now my Blender Bottle can be inserted and removed with one hand! Imagine!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts