Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
jsimon7777: Thank you for the very helpful links - I will try what you said.
As to the reason I would like to charge less than 100% is to ensure that charging does not start before my off peak/TOU best start time. I would rather restrict charging to my cheapest electricity hours and just take what range that gave me. I would override if I needed full range. Given the car range (don't need 100% range every day), I would prefer to think in terms of charging hours/times rather than charging to 100% every time giving me range I might not need.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That article seems odd. First, for storage, they are shipped at roughly 35% for most Li batteries.
Then 75-65% charge window x 12,000 cycles for our cars is 108,000 kWh x 2.5 mi/kwh = 270,000 miles.
For 100-25% charge window x 2,010 is 135,675 kWh x 2.5 mi/kWh = 339,187 miles.
For 75-25% it's 798,750 miles?

Somebody check my math, I'm assuming 90 kWh battery size.

NOTE: EVs with regen cycle more than those number. Miles are just comparisons. The C rates of charging, discharging, and regeneration are a major factor as well. Heavy foot, lots of regen, shorter battery life. But that's no different than an ICE car. Lots of WOT, lots of high RPM decel, reduces engine life dramatically.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Your math is spot on, McRat. Interesting too that 12,000 cycles when charging every other day gives a battery life of 65 years. By then I can afford something new ?.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Will "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle" work with the TeslaTap and Ipace and do the same job as the "Tesla Mobile Connector Bundle" that was originally specced here?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, but the Gen 2 only comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter, so you will need to purchase the appropriate 240v adapter to get level 2 charging speed from it. They’re $35 each, also sold on Tesla.com. The Gen 2 is 32A vs 40A of the Gen 1. FWIW, the picture shown in the original post is the Gen 2 adapter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, but the Gen 2 only comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter, so you will need to purchase the appropriate 240v adapter to get level 2 charging speed from it. They’re $35 each, also sold on Tesla.com. The Gen 2 is 32A vs 40A of the Gen 1. FWIW, the picture shown in the original post is the Gen 2 adapter.
May I reconfirm that Gen 2 mobile connector bundle will charge at level 2 if plugged into 15-40 with an appropriate adapter? From the website, it says max output of 1.3kW.

·
Registered
392 Posts
May I reconfirm that Gen 2 mobile connector bundle will charge at level 2 if plugged into 15-40 with an appropriate adapter? From the website, it says max output of 1.3kW.
I'm confused, toni. Level 2 output is 7.5 kWh while level 1 is 1.3 kWh. If Gen 2 website states 1.3 max it will take 65 hours to charge from 0% to 100% based on 84.7 kWh battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I suspect that it says 1.3kW because it's referring to the overall capacity of the "bundle" which includes the Gen 2 mobile connector and the NEMA 5-15 adapter (so the bundle is limited by the weakest link, which is the 5-15 adapter). If you replace the 5-15 adapter with the 14-50 adapter the Gen 2 mobile connector will then charge at L2 speeds.

Look at this link for the other adapters, which shows higher charging speeds (for Teslas, at least) when using the other adapters: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html

·
Registered
392 Posts
OMG I hate the "mileage gained per hour". What a bunch of crap. It does seem like you'll get 7kW out of the 14-50.
I agree! I think there are a lot of drivers who don't understand or choose not to know about kWh charging rates or charge percentage per hour. It's simple to determine range added even if it's not accurate. I don't like "mileage gained" but understand there are drivers who just want to get in the car and turn on the ignition without a lot of thought.

I have met so many people who don't know how to change a flat tire or understand the basics of an ICE. I made sure my son could change a flat, drive a manual and understood how a car works. Basic knowledge keeps us from being taken advantage of by unscrupulous people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm confused, toni. Level 2 output is 7.5 kWh while level 1 is 1.3 kWh. If Gen 2 website states 1.3 max it will take 65 hours to charge from 0% to 100% based on 84.7 kWh battery.
You are correct. Question is why is the Tesla website saying max output is 1.3kW? Is it because they are expecting it to be connected to a normal outlet? Or is it because the device itself will not give a higher output?

·
Registered
392 Posts
You are correct. Question is why is the Tesla website saying max output is 1.3kW? Is it because they are expecting it to be connected to a normal outlet? Or is it because the device itself will not give a higher output?
Please see post #51 as kkemp provides the answer way better than I can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suspect that it says 1.3kW because it's referring to the overall capacity of the "bundle" which includes the Gen 2 mobile connector and the NEMA 5-15 adapter (so the bundle is limited by the weakest link, which is the 5-15 adapter). If you replace the 5-15 adapter with the 14-50 adapter the Gen 2 mobile connector will then charge at L2 speeds.

Look at this link for the other adapters, which shows higher charging speeds (for Teslas, at least) when using the other adapters: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html
That does make sense. Hopefully the charger itself has a higher output capacity and will output more if used with the right wall outlet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alright, I am a new I Pace owner of 3 days and have some questions. I also have a leased Tesla Model S, so I already have a Tesla "corded mobile connector" which I have plugged into a 14-50 outlet. I just got a Teslatap which works great with the cord I have, but I may have to return that cord with the car when I turn it in next month.

So, my question: what is the difference between the corded mobile connector that I have, and the Gen 2 mobile connector bundle (aside from the adaptor that comes with the bundle)? I ask because should I (or anyone) need to buy a new one, why would you buy a "corded mobile connector" at $520, when the bundle is $275, plus another $35 for the 14-50 connector? I must be missing something.

·
Super Moderator
2,282 Posts
Alright, I am a new I Pace owner of 3 days and have some questions. I also have a leased Tesla Model S, so I already have a Tesla "corded mobile connector" which I have plugged into a 14-50 outlet. I just got a Teslatap which works great with the cord I have, but I may have to return that cord with the car when I turn it in next month.
Tell 'em it got stolen when you left it out one night and then they'll charge you some small amount for it. That way you know it works. >:)

41 - 60 of 72 Posts