Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
The mobile bundle is out of stock right now (Jan 22):
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.htmlhttps://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.html

So instead I opted for this 240V/30Amp cable which received good reviews and will get to me tomorrow ... which is hopefully when I'll be picking up the beast at JLR Livermore.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNZBR5W/

It's only ~$40 more after tax than the Tesla cable, which is also shorter. I will probably still get the Tesla tap but that's not as urgent.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I found my Model 3 UMB on Ebay $280 no tax or shipping because Tesla was out of stock last week

Reactions: NerdUno

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
I like the solutions in this thread and appreciate your work. I need a 30’ run to reach my I-Pace. How to?
You will need to buy a compatible extension cord if you cannot run permanent wiring. An RV supply or welding supply store would have a compatible extension cord

·
Registered
1 Posts
Terrific explanation of charging technique for iPace!

I am replying to NerdOne who has given a terrific description of how to get a faster charge for the iPace using Tesla Tap-Tesla Mobile Connector-Nema 14-50 220 outlet.

How many miles do you add per hour using this way of charging from, say, 20% battery life going to, say, 90%? Do you know if this is faster or slower than using ChargePoint?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
How many miles do you add per hour using this way of charging from, say, 20% battery life going to, say, 90%?
Unless you drive pretty close to the same way, same road conditions and in the same weather conditions all the time, how many ‘miles’ added is a variable that isn’t an accurate unit of measure.

With that said, the charging rate you receive from an AC EVSE is not varied based on manufacturer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If using this charging solution at home, how can I arrange for TOU charging during the hours when my rates are lowest? Reading some of the other threads in this forum, it seems that the on-board timer to start and end charging is not reliable...?

·
Registered
561 Posts
If using this charging solution at home, how can I arrange for TOU charging during the hours when my rates are lowest? Reading some of the other threads in this forum, it seems that the on-board timer to start and end charging is not reliable...?
At home I plug in at 10PM and let it rip. SCE-TOU-A. Unplug by 8AM. No timers or delay programming on the vehicle or EVSE. I need 100% reliability when charging at home.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I ran into an issue with my Model 3 UMC. I bought a Tesla 14-30 pigtail, since I have one at work, and it doesn't work reliably. It's commercial 208v power using 2 phases. My Clipper Creek 14-30 works there for the last 6 years. Just the Tesla unit has a problem. It reports back wrong or something. It starts, then it yields weird numbers, then it stops in a few minutes with about 3 miles added.

Oddly the 14-50 works perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
(4) Unplug the Tesla Mobile Connector for NEMA 14-50 if you're using one.
Very informative, NerdUno. This is the only step I'd consider skipping if you are doing this in your own garage. Most NEMA 14-50 sockets are not manufactured to weather frequent plugging and unplugging. I'd just leave it plugged in all the time if you're staying put in the same (secure) location for a while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered before. I have a new 2020 i-Pace in Northern California. My Aerovironment charger charges the car well. We're on TOU/Off peak

1. How do I set up the car to start charging at 7pm and not before then charge until it is full.
2. How do I set it up as #1 but stopping at 80% full
3. How do I set it so it charges immediately on plug in for weekends which are off peak.
4. How do I override the timers if I need to use a charger outside of my house during the day.

If anyone can provide answers or point me in the right direct it would help a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
1. How do I set up the car to start charging at 7pm and not before then charge until it is full.

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/193-2018-jaguar-i-pace-ev-400-general-discussion/3297-how-make-timed-charging-work.html

2. How do I set it up as #1 but stopping at 80% full

You can't. Not sure why you'd want to. It's not a Tesla that will allow overcharging the battery.

3. How do I set it so it charges immediately on plug in for weekends which are off peak.

Just don't set timed charging when you park.

4. How do I override the timers if I need to use a charger outside of my house during the day.

Do nothing when you park.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jjohncm, I can't help you with weekend charging because I use Chargepoint and the app allows me to continuously charge on weekends using timed charging.

For question #2, if your system is 240V 32A you can assume about an 8% percent charge per hour and set your timer accordingly. For example: from 50% charge to 80% is nearly 4 hours of charge time. I understand your concerns about battery longevity as there are numerous online articles about keeping your state of charge between 20% and 80% to extend battery life.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts