Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You need a little background on this first. Southern California was the birthplace of dragracing. There were dragstrips everywhere. But as the housing market boomed, many dragstrips were shut down due to noise abatement.

The Winternationals are held at Pomona, California's dragstrip. This was closed to the general public due to noise abatement. Only very limited use is allowed anymore.

This COPO Camaro is quicker than the original COPO Camaro, except now it's electric:

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/electric-ecopo-camaro-rockets-1002-pass-winternationals-exhibition

·
Registered
253 Posts
I grew up in Riverside County / Moreno Valley and remember lots of fields and race tracks. Also remember them closing down and homes going up as well as all the orchards disappearing; mainly orange trees.

Looks like that kid w/ his Model S P100d from the Tesla racing channel has a solid competitor now with that electric Camaro.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do miss Wednesday nights at OCIR running my 1970 Mustang.
Wednesday night brackets. The time slips were handwritten by a pantograph machine (think electric etch-a-sketch) and only had ET / MPH scribbled on them.
I got $10 a couple of times for matching my dial-in. My first drag racing was done there on a Kawasaki Mach III (500cc triple two stroke) which would run high 12's. This was enough to beat most the bikes out there back then.
Apparently there is now a small museum where the track used to be. Never visited.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are a bunch of these high powered electric concepts currently in development. Have you guys seen the Corvette Genovation GXE? GM is only making 75 of them, but its got an 800hp electric powertrain. Its also one of the only EV's I can think of that has a seven speed manual gearbox.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have you guys seen the Corvette Genovation GXE? GM is only making 75 of them, but its got an 800hp electric powertrain. Its also one of the only EV's I can think of that has a seven speed manual gearbox.
GM is not making them.

GENOVATION GXE CORVETTE: THE 800-HP, $750,000 GREEN HYPERCAR

Interested customers must bring a new (or very gently used) C7 Corvette Grand Sport to Genovation (which recommends a build combination that ensures you don't pay for optional items that will just be removed). The plan is to build coupes, but if someone insisted on a convertible, Genovation can build one. The conversion takes place at Prefix Corporation in Auburn Hills, Michigan (the company once contracted to paint new SRT Vipers). The build includes new front and rear fascias—the latter incorporating classic-look round LED taillamps, numerous carbon-fiber trim pieces from Nowicki Autosport, GXE badges, a completely retrimmed interior, and a new custom paint job. We're told that no two of the 75 cars planned will be the same color.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wednesday night brackets. The time slips were handwritten by a pantograph machine (think electric etch-a-sketch) and only had ET / MPH scribbled on them.
Like this? These would be vintage 1980 or 1981. 13.95 was the best the Mustang ever did. Not bad then for a low budget hack.

I think I might poke around and see if that museum exists.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find these new in house electric restomods to be far more interesting than all these high powered supercars. Aston Martin has already previewed these kind of models with a conversion kit for a 1970 DB6 Vantage Volante and Jaguar has showcased the E Type Zero. Would love to see the range of vehicles expand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts