Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The winner is the 2021 Mazda 6! The face and back have only the Mazda logo. The tiny buttons to lock/unlock doors and trunk plus the panic alarm are on the side of the very narrow fob, all on the same side. My fingers could not distinguish between the buttons and I accidently tripped the panic alarm on a couple of occasions. I could not see the buttons at night. I don't know who approved the design but it's terrible.

Overall, the rental car was pretty good. It got excellent fuel economy and had adaptive cruise control, cross collision alarm and other nice features. However, the safety nannies drove me crazy. The touchscreen would lock as soon as the car moved. The joystick on the center console that controls infotainment, communications and navigation had limited functionality with the car moving too. But the real deal breaker for me was the fob, lol. I need smaller fingers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hate those safety nannies. It's especially annoying when there's a passenger in a car and can do all those functions in a safe way. Some cars also ask you to put them in park before allowing to access some functions.

Key fob probably wouldn't bother me. With almost every car having keyless system I just don't use fobs. I don't know when was the last time I saw Jag's fob :). It's somewhere in the jacket... probably...

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
The rental agent failed at their job. They were supposed to upsell you into renting a small child to operate the fob. :)

The only time I use the fob for the cat is to release the frunk cover or an occasional need to press the unlock to unlock a charger cable. I don't recall the last time I used the buttons of the Rover's fob.

I know I'd fail at operating that Mazda fob.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
182 Posts
I’d take buttons like that for a key fob that actually worked. The I-Pace fob requires me to stand within 3” of the car to work.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rental agent failed at their job. They were supposed to upsell you into renting a small child to operate the fob. :)

The only time I use the fob for the cat is to release the frunk cover or an occasional need to press the unlock to unlock a charger cable. I don't recall the last time I used the buttons of the Rover's fob.

I know I'd fail at operating that Mazda fob.
I should have posted sooner. I have two young grandkids who would have been very happy to use the fob. I never considered using them. The Mazda didn't have door handles with lock/unlock capability. The only way was to use the fob.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
182 Posts
Has the dealer said anything about your fob? Mine works great. I can lock/unlock from inside the house, at least 30-40 feet away.
I haven’t asked my dealer about it. I’ve replaced the batteries in both fobs, and the maximum range that I’ve seen is less than 24”. I’ll ask my dealer about it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
24" should be more like 24'.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
182 Posts
I wish... that would be great. Mine is typically closer to 2.4” of range.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
With both keys? Then you know it's a car and not a battery or clicker issue.

Reactions: CurtSprings2

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
353 Posts
I believe there have been at least 2 people that reported they needed the antenna or radio controller for the keyless entry system to be replaced. The dealer should be able to identify the problem without too much hassle.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
182 Posts
I finally had the I-Pace serviced and had the antenna replaced for the fobs. Problem solved! Huge difference.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My Tesla wouldn't even turn on yesterday. After much futzing, it kicked in after 10 minutes. Oh, but the great thing about Tesla is the amazing quality of their software. Just gotta load up an app to open things remotely. That's all! If it communicates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts