Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For me if the I pace had > 300 miles of real world range like the EQS 580 or the Lucid Air GT and a third row it would be perfect.

I don’t use charging speed that much. I honestly don’t remember the last time I fast charged my ipace.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I left home with 303 miles of range on the Tesla. In my head, I said, "OK, keep it to 70mph."
Well, I didn't. I figured that I'd have to go at most 65 mph to make it to my destination and back within the 303 miles Elon "Cuckmaster" Musk promised me. That was not going to happen. So I just went 80ish as usual. Then when I arrived with about 200 miles used for a 125 mile trip, I used my cousin's charger. We left with 270 miles available and made it home with plenty to spare.

I learned that Elon Musk is a liar. I really didn't know this before. I mean, who woulda thunk that somebody who could amass billions would also be untruthful in even the tiniest way. As a wise man once said many times over, "Inconceivable!"

I learned that I hate long car trips. 4.5 hours of driving in a day? Oof! OK, I knew this. Still, I'm rethinking our Portugal/Spain trip. At least then we'll have all sorts of fun stuff to get out of the car for and see.

I learned that my cousin and her husband may want to buy the Model Y. That'd be nice for all involved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did the same trip I did last year (with not so great results) and this year it was PERFECT.... of course it was with our ICE car :) I did see that the Turnpike has Tesla Superchargers at the rest stop 50% to the destination. If they open them to all cars, it's the Jag next time. On the way home, all the chargers were empty!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
After few funny experiences, I would only take out an EV to the long trip, if 2x charging margin can be ensured distance-wise and time-wise.
E.g., if comfortable distance between charging stops is ~180 mi, I would need a charger every ~90 mi; and time-wise, if ABRP says 2 hrs total charging, I'll make sure 4 hrs don't screw up any plans.
BTW, commercial L3 charging may actually come out more expensive than gas in modern ICE of the same class.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
226 Posts
I took a Thanksgiving trip LA to Vegas. Plenty of DC charging options. Free 6kW charging at the hotel. In my opinion the best scenario for placing DC fast charging is 130 miles then 20 miles and repeat. It makes many more options than placing one every 75 miles. For example I would always plan on stopping every 150 miles at the further station. If my consumption is bad I can stop at the closer one. Before I pass the closer one I would check availability at the far one. Even if I get to the far one and it fails after I get there I can make it the 20 miles back to the other one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We just drove 450 miles today with 2022 I-Pace. Started with full charge and made two stops 180 miles apart. Added two hours to the trip.
I don’t see how you are lucky enough to make 180 miles on a singular charge. Were you driving at freeway speeds (70 mph)? If so, 180 miles would absolutely drain the battery (I’ve never gotten close to 180 of hwy driving). Even at a high-end DCFC, it would take 1.5 hrs to charge up to be able to drive another 180 miles. What am I missing? Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
29 Posts
We just drove 450 miles today with 2022 I-Pace. Started with full charge and made two stops 180 miles apart. Added two hours to the trip.
Sounds about right. Highway speeds are just fine for the i-Pace. I have a heavy foot and drive 70-90 on the freeway and 180 miles is 100% do-able on a full charge and leaves about 30 miles to spare. I stop at 160 miles if possible to avoid problems with power network issues (EA can have a lot if outages). I can charge from 15% to 80% in 45 min and it takes about 1 hour 5 minutes to charge from 15% to 100%.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don’t see how you are lucky enough to make 180 miles on a singular charge. Were you driving at freeway speeds (70 mph)? If so, 180 miles would absolutely drain the battery (I’ve never gotten close to 180 of hwy driving). Even at a high-end DCFC, it would take 1.5 hrs to charge up to be able to drive another 180 miles. What am I missing? Please enlighten me.
He has a 2022 I pace with 11kW fast charging. Most here have a 2019-20 I pace with 7 kW charger. It was upgraded in the 2022 model is now the same as a model Y.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I have a heavy foot and drive 70-90 on the freeway and 180 miles is 100% do-able on a full charge and leaves about 30 miles to spare.
So basically you're saying 210 mi on full charge in reality, going 70..90 mph with hard accelerations ?
Like @Bucky, have never seen anything close to that.
On my one (2019 / 34K), maybe, going steady 70 mph on CC, no AC, high tire pressure, perfectly flat road, some tailwind - 210 mi would be achievable. But in the scenario you're describing - never.
And charging numbers - wondering if more fresh battery can explain both those improvements.
He has a 2022 I pace with 11kW fast charging. Most here have a 2019-20 I pace with 7 kW charger. It was upgraded in the 2022 model is now the same as a model Y.
Yes, but DCFC bypasses onboard charger, so no difference between 19-21 and 22 here. 100 KW regardless.

·
Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
29 Posts
So basically you're saying 210 mi on full charge in reality, going 70..90 mph with hard accelerations ?
Like @Bucky, have never seen anything close to that.
On my one (2019 / 34K), maybe, going steady 70 mph on CC, no AC, high tire pressure, perfectly flat road, some tailwind - 210 mi would be achievable. But in the scenario you're describing - never.
And charging numbers - wondering if more fresh battery can explain both those improvements.

Yes, but DCFC bypasses onboard charger, so no difference between 19-21 and 22 here. 100 KW regardless.
I am pretty hard on my acceleration. Typically I set my cruise control to 77-79 once I get to that speed. My cruise assist does the job for me after that. But speeds un California are pretty rapid so I will often increase to 90ish. I don't keep it set at 90 for a long period as I don't want a ticket. But use it to pass multiple times per day. With traffic congestion my speed more than likely averages out in the mid-60s when it is all averaged, but 77-79 is my comfort zone here in California. My ipace is MY20 with 22k mileage. I just don't have the range issues that you are reporting. My range is highly reliable. We have a model 3 here in my house as well and that car has the worst range I have ever seen. It's supposed to get close to 220 miles on range but we are lucky to squeeze 100.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've written this before, but I can reliably get 240 miles at highway speeds out of my '19 with almost 38k miles on the original battery pack. I'm routinely going about 78 MPH. This is in warm, flat Florida, so that helps. If you are concerned about range, CC is not your friend. You'll get significantly better range from your right foot using basic hypermiling techniques (safe drafting - not tailgating - and prioritizing throttle control over maintaining a set speed). If I shoot for 38 kWh/100 miles average consumption, then I'll get that 240 miles of range. My wife just drives it and she sees about 180 miles of range.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I just don't have the range issues that you are reporting.
Good for you, but seems I'm not the only one here. The car stays in town anyway, so no big deal for me actually.
We have a model 3 here in my house as well and that car has the worst range I have ever seen. It's supposed to get close to 220 miles on range but we are lucky to squeeze 100.
:oops:
If you are concerned about range, CC is not your friend. You'll get significantly better range from your right foot using basic hypermiling techniques (safe drafting - not tailgating - and prioritizing throttle control over maintaining a set speed)
On flat land I would say CC is still helpful, by removing power micro-fluctuations. In hills - yes, constant power is apparently better than constant speed, and same for ICE.
Drafting is an opportunistic option, you can't rely on it when planning.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,072 Posts
Completed a one day round trip to Syracuse NY, over the weekend. 218 miles each way. Weather was atrocious: - 38-41°F all day, on and off heavy rain with a few flakes at elevation. Two stops at EA in Binghamton NY, once in each direction. Charged to 91% each time, due to lower than normal efficiency (averaged 38.6kWh/100miles) and a little paranoia. Approximately 60min stops each time.

Yes, the trip is doable. Would be better in nice weather and charging would require less time. Can we do Thanksgiving in August from now on?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts