Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a 300 mile road trip for Thanksgiving.

my options are the IPace, ABRP says it would take 6hr21min with two charging stops

Model Y LR says 5h8m with one charging stop. (I really wish it went 314 miles on a charge like Tesla says it does.)

Or my Audi Q7 with a 3/4 tank of gas will make it easily in 4.5 hrs with no stops.

but that model Y has autopilot…

Anyone else have trips planned for Thanksgiving?

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
It all depends on the weather forecast. Really bad weather and no trip. Cold and snow means the cat stays home. Nice weather and the cat will take a long walk with the usual 2 stops (minimum) to go 380 or so miles (one way). That weather forecast has to be good enough for the return trip too.

If the cat stays home, the journey will be shorter (different route) and quicker (no fueling stops) but cost more due to diesel fuel cost.

· Registered
1,904 Posts
We'll take the Y. Round trip is gonna be 230-250 miles, depending on which route has the least traffic. If I charge to 100% and pump the tires up a bit, we'll be able to make it without a stop, and if we do have to stop, 10 minutes at a supercharger should get the job done.

Also, autopilot will only be useful if we get stuck in traffic. Otherwise I don't use it. Don't trust it.

Reactions: Slam08

· Registered
345 Posts
Round trip, we're looking at 920 miles (if my mother didn't live in the middle of BFE, we'd fly). An EV isn't a consideration. We'll take the Velar which can just barely make each leg of the trip without refueling.

The Velar has the exact same LKA/CC that the I Pace does. There are very limited conditions (well marked and lit interstate/turnpike with very light traffic) where I trust it enough to eat or drink something, or stretch my legs. The Velar has massaging seats, and that's a nice bonus on long trips.

Reactions: jsimon7777

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Round trip, we're looking at 920 miles (if my mother didn't live in the middle of BFE, we'd fly). An EV isn't a consideration. We'll take the Velar which can just barely make each leg of the trip without refueling.

The Velar has the exact same LKA/CC that the I Pace does. There are very limited conditions (well marked and lit interstate/turnpike with very light traffic) where I trust it enough to eat or drink something, or stretch my legs. The Velar has massaging seats, and that's a nice bonus on long trips.
Yeah. I trust the Jaguar “autopilot” on one part of my commute when I know it can see the lanes consistently. Other parts where the lines are clear it sometime ls messes up. I don’t really trust it

· Registered
345 Posts
Yeah. I trust the Jaguar “autopilot” on one part of my commute when I know it can see the lanes consistently. Other parts where the lines are clear it sometime ls messes up. I don’t really trust it
In South Carolina where I-95 is only two lanes in each direction and the trees are near the road, you get rapidly alternating patches of shadow and light that confuse the system and cause it to disengage. The performance envelope is constrained for this system.

What's worse is that the system disengages without much warning. I greatly prefer the UI of GM's SuperCruise with its prominent light strip along the top of the steering wheel. It seems like JLR could at least flash the HUD or vibrate the steering wheel or anything more than a tiny steering wheel icon on the dash that goes from grey to green.

· Registered
1,904 Posts
The way to use the JLR system, which I think is excellent, is to steer and pay attention a bit less than you would otherwise. The system is meant for this, as far as I can tell, unlike Tesla which actually disengages if you try to work with it.

· Registered
50 Posts

my options are the IPace, ABRP says it would take 6hr21min with two charging stops

Model Y LR says 5h8m with one charging stop. (I really wish it went 314 miles on a charge like Tesla says it does.)

Or my Audi Q7 with a 3/4 tank of gas will make it easily in 4.5 hrs with no stops.

Road trips in EVs are for retired folk... no place in the wild for normal folk making a trip on a long weekend. The chances of broken chargers, slow charge speeds, lines, and the time lost with family is not worth it. We do the same in my house, the i-pace stays and looks pretty while the Aviator takes care of non-commuting business.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hmm. My son lives 1200 miles away and I have made the trip in as little as 16.5hrs with 2 stops for gas in our V8 Touareg. I'm considering buying an I-Pace after test driving one and falling in love, but the same trip would theoretically be at least 6+hrs more, if I can fast charge reliably . That effectively makes it a 2 day drive instead of 1. It doesn't seem that EVs are quite there yet for long hauls, though the 800v systems appear to be closer. Here's hoping the next generation Jag EV gets ultra fast charging.
Until then, Is PHEV the only reasonable solution to economy, range, convenience and all electric short commuting? Then which PHEV will still tow 7700lbs? Apart from terrible fuel economy the Touareg seems like a keeper but the Jag is still really tempting for my commute.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hmm. My son lives 1200 miles away and I have made the trip in as little as 16.5hrs with 2 stops for gas in our V8 Touareg. I'm considering buying an I-Pace after test driving one and falling in love, but the same trip would theoretically be at least 6+hrs more, if I can fast charge reliably . That effectively makes it a 2 day drive instead of 1. It doesn't seem that EVs are quite there yet for long hauls, though the 800v systems appear to be closer. Here's hoping the next generation Jag EV gets ultra fast charging.
Until then, Is PHEV the only reasonable solution to economy, range, convenience and all electric short commuting? Then which PHEV will still tow 7700lbs? Apart from terrible fuel economy the Touareg seems like a keeper but the Jag is still really tempting for my commute.
Spot on. My i-pace makes commuting a luxury with petrol for long trips a must. I think EVs are perfect for 2+ car households. And many of the DC chargers are on the low end of output around me - even below that of the i-pace offering. jLR really dropped the ball. Going all Electric by 2025 but will not even upgrade their only Ev. Magna Steyer even offered but JLR declined. Tata needs to pay more attention
Incidentally, I hit 20k miles in it on my way home this evening and I am actually excited - count down 1.5 hrs !! 😍

· Registered
33 Posts

I'd take one of the two electric cars. The trip should be agreeable and thus the charging can take place while eating. I just went from Boston to Montreal in the I-PACE and the car performed really well. Charging was while we were eating breakfast or lunch.

· Registered
50 Posts
I'd take one of the two electric cars. The trip should be agreeable and thus the charging can take place while eating. I just went from Boston to Montreal in the I-PACE and the car performed really well. Charging was while we were eating breakfast or lunch.
The issue comes from trips requiring multiple charge stops on first legs... stopping for a meal every 180 miles to charge is only good if your a hobbit.

· Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,088 Posts
Road trips in EVs are for retired folk... no place in the wild for normal folk making a trip on a long weekend.
Retirement isn't necessary. What's necessary is an attitude that prioritizes quality of life rather than quantity of achievements.
Personally, I wouldn't take a 1000mile trip just for a weekend visit, but I would take, and have driven, the I-Pace 500miles (and 500miles back) to participate in an event that is important to me personally. It's all a matter of priorities in life.

· Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
33 Posts

I took a 2,400 mile round trip adventure this summer. It was a wonderful trip because the i-pace drives so well. Long trips can take a bit longer with all the charge-ups, but after several hours of driving it is nice to take a 45 min break. My range is very dependable in my MY20 i-pace. If it says I will get 243 miles of range on 100% charge then what I do is plan on making my first stop at 160 miles out or less this way I have at least 15% of my battery remaining when I stop to charge up. Most of the time I would just charge back up to 80% which would give me roughly 195 miles of range, but again I would just drive 160 miles or less. So I do agree that you would stop to charge 1X going the 300 mile leg and then 1X more when you return on the 300 mile leg. But you are going to start off with a full charge so it's just 1X each way. If you are traveling at an average speed of 70 miles per hour it would take you about 4 hours and 15 minutes in drive time, plus about 45 minutes in charge time, so you should be looking at around 5 hours of total travel time each way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts