Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Test drive immanent

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Snowflake 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I have been extremely interested in EVs for a while now and am finally starting the search. I've seen the I-Pace around Phoenix and always thought it was a gorgeous car, so started reading everything that I could about it (including the plethora of information on this forum). After reading countless posts, watching long-term review vides, and frankly obsessing about it for longer than I care to admit, I knew that this was the EV for me. I found a used 1 owner 2019 HSE that seems to be a really good deal and plan to take a test drive this week or weekend. I would be getting it from CarMax, so that would also give me time to take it to the dealership and make sure everything is in good order (90 day no-questions-asked returns).

While I hope to be as excited as I think I will be during the test drive, I have continued to look at other EVs since prices have been dropping. I was looking at the Volkswagen ID.4 today, and a fully specced out new one would be ~$53k (not including the $7500 tax incentive). I know that they are not in the same category, but the ID.4 is getting some good reviews and seems to be a solid, albeit somewhat uninspiring, EV. While I know that this is a completely personal decision, does it make sense to get a 4-year-old used I-Pace (brilliant vehicle) vs a similarly priced fully upgraded new ID.4 (solid vehicle, but definitely not on the same level as an I-Pace).

Thank you in advance for anyone else who has been or is in this sort of quandary. Hoping to be posting as an official new member soon!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Phoenix, welcome to the club of I-Pace enamored enthusiasts :love:

There are three conditions I'd want to meet as a potential buyer of a 2019 I-Pace:
1. Is the vehicle up to date with all of the software? This is an easy one to meet if the next condition is met:
2. Do you have a great JLR dealer/service department that will work with you and for you and not give you the runaround?
3. Is the traction battery in good shape? Knowing this also depends on 2. above. They can run a test and give you a proper printout that you can share with us here.

Besides that, and I don't want to be presumptuous or pry, you want to be able to sustain a worst case scenario with a car that's extremely expensive to repair and which will be out of warranty soon. A year of warranty left over will likely surface all issues but a risk still remains.

HTH

#3 ·
Thank you so much for that insight, Sciencegeek! It is truly helpful and appreciated. A good friend of mine drives a LR Velar and takes it to the local JLR dealer / service center. He only has great things to say about his experience so far, so I hope that bodes well for the Jaguar side of things. I will be sure to ask about the software version and traction battery should I end up making the purchase.

And a very valid last point. Reliability is one of the biggest things I was (am) worried about with Jaguar. As you mentioned, I would still have some warranty left, and I hope that all of the known issues would be resolved. I would be able to manage with the worst case scenario, but I do try to be financially responsible and thus having some trepidation about an EV with known quirks. That is also one of the reasons I am still looking at new models such as the ID.4, even though they just do not excite me nearly as much as the I-Pace.

Thanks again for your response! I am looking forward to the test drive and feel better equipped as to what to ask if / when I take it for the initial inspection.

#4 ·
Sounds like you're ready for the I-Pace! It is still the best EV out there, according to this thread which I'm sure you've seen 😆

In all seriousness, just have a chat with the dealer first, just to double-check. But I'm going to be the last guy to talk you out of an I-Pace haha

#5 ·
Hello everyone! I have been extremely interested in EVs for a while now and am finally starting the search. I've seen the I-Pace around Phoenix and always thought it was a gorgeous car, so started reading everything that I could about it (including the plethora of information on this forum). After reading countless posts, watching long-term review vides, and frankly obsessing about it for longer than I care to admit, I knew that this was the EV for me. I found a used 1 owner 2019 HSE that seems to be a really good deal and plan to take a test drive this week or weekend. I would be getting it from CarMax, so that would also give me time to take it to the dealership and make sure everything is in good order (90 day no-questions-asked returns).

While I hope to be as excited as I think I will be during the test drive, I have continued to look at other EVs since prices have been dropping. I was looking at the Volkswagen ID.4 today, and a fully specced out new one would be ~$53k (not including the $7500 tax incentive). I know that they are not in the same category, but the ID.4 is getting some good reviews and seems to be a solid, albeit somewhat uninspiring, EV. While I know that this is a completely personal decision, does it make sense to get a 4-year-old used I-Pace (brilliant vehicle) vs a similarly priced fully upgraded new ID.4 (solid vehicle, but definitely not on the same level as an I-Pace).

Thank you in advance for anyone else who has been or is in this sort of quandary. Hoping to be posting as an official new member soon!
Live in Cornville And i have a 2020 with 20150 miles. Need an electric with better range. The car is in perfect shape.
give me a call. Bob cottrell 928 282 2054.

#6 ·
I have had my 2020 I-pace HSE for just over a year. Bought it used with 4.6K so I have another 2 years warranty. I am not sure I would go for another one as for a $70+K car there are continual niggles, for example: proximity alarms going off for no reason; faulty TCU which took a few months to rectify; rear camera doing weird shit; maps disappearing from navigation screen (going into Jaguar next week to have a map uploaded); driver's door handle not functioning intermittently. There again I love this car!! Test drove the VW, Volvo, Hyundai and Audi EV's before going with the I-pace (BMW didn't have one to test drive). The Mercedes looks nice but $100+K I believe.

#7 ·
Thank you, ScienceGeek! I have definitely seen that post. It's great to hear real-life stories of living with an I-Pace.

And thank you, LA Toon! I truly appreciate your insight and experience. I am actually planning on test driving a 2023 ID.4 this weekend. I did end up test driving the I-Pace and loved every second of it. I have a couple of days to decide since they are repairing a crack in the driver side window from transport. Those little (and sometimes bigger) reliability issues that you mentioned are my main hesitation (the other being depreciation, but that is more my partners hang-up than mine). With the cost being relatively equal, does going the 'safer' route with a newer but dull EV make more practical sense then a used I-Pace that is just amazing but may have some bumps along the way?

Decisions, decisions. I am definitely leaning toward the I-Pace just for the sheer joy it brought me during the test drive, but I also don't want to be a frequent flyer at JLR service. Thanks again!

#8 ·
After seeing this thread develop, I thought that I would chime in with a few thoughts.

Perhaps the most important issue is what use profile is expected of the I-Pace. If you are a single car family with high demands of length and frequency of trips, then perhaps the I-Pace, or an EV in general, is not the route to take.
Similarly, if getting from A to B as fast/easy as possible is the primary goal of your driving, then there are other alternatives. And perhaps the ID 4 fits that bill.
If on the other hand you want to enjoy the driving as part of the trip, then the I-Pace is a great car to drive.

As an owner of an early 2019 FE I would highly recommend the I-Pace, however, we have additional vehicles on our driveway. I've taken mine up and down the US east coast and it was a total joy, but I've also had the wiring harness issue and a couple of other minor dealership visits regarding communication issues.
Check what repairs have been done - wiring harness, aux battery etc. At this point if the known faults have happened and been taken care of, a used 2019 would be a nice addition for those that love to drive.

#9 ·
Thank you for your thoughts, Qtown. The I-Pace would be my primary vehicle, but my partner drives a Lexus NX hybrid (which has been fantastic). I would use the I-Pace for daily commuting to and from work 4 days a week, about 40 miles round trip, and regular errands / trips. For any major road trips, we have the Lexus if there are time and / or charging constraints. I definitely like the driving experience which is why I am strongly leaning toward the I-Pace.

Thanks to the wonderful knowledge on this forum, I will be sure to ask about the known issues, specifically the wiring harness and aux battery. Thankfully CarMax has a no hassle return policy should JLR service find anything that is going to pose a major problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.