Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone help?
I have purchased my new Jaguar I Pace today from Jaguar Leeds. The battery had 98% charge. I live 145 miles away and at 93 miles it had 6 miles left!! The cruise control was set at the low 70s, the air con, radio and sat nav were on. It took 4 hours to get home due to the lack of fast charges in the A42 leading to the M42. I could not leave the car to charge as in a 7kw Charger, it kept stopping charges and flashing up ‘Initialising!’ This happened several times. I eventually made it home and plugged it into my 13amp electrics until my 7kw home charger arrives 11th August. It has cut out 4x in 3 hours and I have had to reset the extension lead cut out switch once do far. The previous 3x it too has flashed up ‘initialising’ and not charging!! I drive to France on Monday and am going to a 50kw charger tomorrow to fully charge. Is all the above normal or do I have a faulty battery system? 93 miles out of a 98% charge is frightening. Please help!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
669 Posts
That is not normal. The first questions that comes to mind is "Did the dealer update the car to all the current software levels for Infotainment system and battery management system?" ":Did the updates complete successfully?"

How long has the vehicle been on the dealers lot before you bought it?
What temperature setting was the AC?

It cannot be determined if the battery is bad without knowing the state of the software levels as a first step.
Go to the SOTA update display and report version numbers seen there.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
362 Posts
Do I understand you to mean that you are intending to drive the I- Pace to France on Monday? I would suggest getting to know your new car a few days before such an undertaking.
The charging behavior seems unusual and you may be visting the LOCAL JLR dealer Monday AM rather than France. Irrespective of the advice this forum can give you, a dealer visit seems a good bet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your reply. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to check on the updates. Please can you advise how I go to the SOTA update display?
You say not normal, have you completed any motorway distant mileage yourself and if so at what speed and for how many miles?
The dealership was shocked when I phoned to tell them I was 45 miles from home and the battery was near flat @ 93 miles!! They suggested they should have ‘conditioned’ the battery before my collection as most of their customers are local not 145 miles away!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I understand you to mean that you are intending to drive the I- Pace to France on Monday? I would suggest getting to know your new car a few days before such an undertaking.
The charging behavior seems unusual and you may be visting the LOCAL JLR dealer Monday AM rather than France. Irrespective of the advice this forum can give you, a dealer visit seems a good bet.
No time for a dealer visit. 3.5 hour journey (180 miles) to Folkestone on Monday am as Chunnel is booked! Will need to plan carefully if this persists. Have you travelled over a 100 miles within days of ownership for an idea of your battery distance please?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
362 Posts
No time for a dealer visit. 3.5 hour journey (180 miles) to Folkestone on Monday am as Chunnel is booked! Will need to plan carefully if this persists. Have you travelled over a 100 miles within days of ownership for an idea of your battery distance please?
Routinely getting 240miles on a full charge. Cruise set at 65mph, AC on @ 70 F. You seem to have an issue that is not fixable with advice.
Sorry if I sounded blunt, but 100miles on a full charge is not usual. If the car has sat on the dealer's lot for months it is possible the battery needs a good charge and run, but you charging problems seem "wrong". I assume the house wiring is capable of handling the trickle charger? Try the L3 (fast) charger tomorrow, but I would not be too confident on getting a different result.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
362 Posts
To answer your question regarding long runs: yes, I took a 160mile round trip for fun to see what my range on the highway would be. Selected the destination to make I had an L3 charger there if necessary.
I know the last few days have been rather warm in the UK, but there are folks on this forum in TX & AR that are doing much better than your numbers.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to check on the updates. Please can you advise how I go to the SOTA update display?
You say not normal, have you completed any motorway distant mileage yourself and if so at what speed and for how many miles?
The dealership was shocked when I phoned to tell them I was 45 miles from home and the battery was near flat @ 93 miles!! They suggested they should have ‘conditioned’ the battery before my collection as most of their customers are local not 145 miles away!
Trips

SOTA:
Touch the gears symbol on the bottom of the touch screen
Select All settings
Select Software update and scroll as needed.

We have found that the range guess is better once the battery if fully charged using any level charger, and then reset it by:
  • Power up the vehicle without foot on brake
  • Press brake and go pedals fully at the same time for at least 10 seconds (you'll see a change in range guess)
  • Release pedals
At this point the range guess will adapt to your driving over the course of several driving sessions, climate conditions, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your valued reply. No, please don’t apologise, I need to hear it as it is. 240 miles is fantastic. Would you recommend ECO mode and Regeneration on low to achieve this? I drove in normal mode and high regeneration that I now know is not advisable on a motorway! I will charge to 100% tomorrow (fingers crossed) then go for a burst up the motorway, recharge and then plug in 240v at home for at least 10 hours before setting off to Felixstowe. I have since solved the problem of the home charge fault. My extension lead is about 10m and was only open for 2m to reach the Jag lead. The balance of the extension was red hot!! I have fully unwound it in the garage and since then, the charger has remained charging for over an hour now, a big relief in its own, if only a trickle charge.

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
For your trip, have you checked the locations of fast chargers? When my first I-Pace had a bad battery I was still able to do a 300 mile round trip thanks to chargers that were spaced close enough. If your battery is indeed bad, charging to full will take less time.

That said, I'm not particularly optimistic that the dealer can fix this with simple charging/discharging cycles. Either way they're going to have to keep it for a while. I would try to convince them that you want a different I-Pace from this one.

They should give you a battery report where the State of Health of each "cell" (there are 36 modules that they call cells) is reported and it should be close to 100% for each of them.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
362 Posts
Sounds good news on the trickle charger.
Regarding motorway driving, I think it is a good consensus here that ECO mode only gets you maybe 15-20 miles extra. Most of us drive in high regen mode - again not a big deal for motorway/highway driving. I routinely set the cruise to 65-70mph and use the adaptive cruise control to deal with slower traffic. You will see only minimal regen numbers for pure motorway driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trips

SOTA:
Touch the gears symbol on the bottom of the touch screen
Select All settings
Select Software update and scroll as needed.

We have found that the range guess is better once the battery if fully charged using any level charger, and then reset it by:
  • Power up the vehicle without foot on brake
  • Press brake and go pedals fully at the same time for at least 10 seconds (you'll see a change in range guess)
  • Release pedals
At this point the range guess will adapt to your driving over the course of several driving sessions, climate conditions, etc.
I will try this in the morning thank you. Just been out to the car to try this and as soon as I unlocked the car and opened the door, the screen flashed up ‘initialising’ again.
I got out of the car, checked the transformer and sure enough the charging light that flashes blue had stopped. I then pressed the remote to lock the doors and the blue flashing charger light reappeared. So I best leave locked until the morning, then try what you advise. As it’s my 1st day, I didn’t realise the 240v Charger would switch off with the doors unlocked!?!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Yes it will interrupt charging when you unlock the doors. It will resume if you just let it sit for a minute, or the car is relocked (whichever comes first).

Unlocking will not interrupt charging if it is a level 3 charger.

I suggest you take the time to read the owners manual and download the Jaguar i-Guide phone app.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes it will interrupt charging when you unlock the doors. It will resume if you just let it sit for a minute, or the car is relocked (whichever comes first).
Unlocking WILL disrupt a Level 3 charger. Unlocking (keyfob or pressing door handle lock button with keyfob in range) is the only way to disengage the locking pin from any charger, so it will STOP the charging process. Unplug and re-insert to restart a Level 2 Charger. (Level 3 Charger restarts are machine specific). I'm an 18-month owner with 23k miles driven and have used DCFC about a dozen times, mostly with great results (car has never given trouble, only the chargers). You should get 180-210 highway miles depending on speed, and 210-240 city miles. Getting 145 miles is NOT normal. High heat requires HVAC and battery cooling so also reduces range (as does extreme cold necessitating heat for the battery), but should never 'go flat' at just 145 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For your trip, have you checked the locations of fast chargers? When my first I-Pace had a bad battery I was still able to do a 300 mile round trip thanks to chargers that were spaced close enough. If your battery is indeed bad, charging to full will take less time.

That said, I'm not particularly optimistic that the dealer can fix this with simple charging/discharging cycles. Either way they're going to have to keep it for a while. I would try to convince them that you want a different I-Pace from this one.

They should give you a battery report where the State of Health of each "cell" (there are 36 modules that they call cells) is reported and it should be close to 100% for each of them.
I will certainly locate ‘fast chargers’ for Monday every 90 miles to be safe! Hopefully I will get closer to the 180 miles on one charge to get to Felixstowe and avoid missing my booking time. Thank you.

I suggest you take the time to read the owners manual and download the Jaguar i-Guide phone app.
Thank you. Up at 5.30 this morning and home at 5.15pm for a 290 mile journey! App not set up as waiting for dealer to email me the log in number, so rather than read the manual and as I don’t have the benefit of the app, I have seek’d the advice from actual owners such as yourself providing ‘real world’ experience and it is very much appreciated 👍
Unlocking WILL disrupt a Level 3 charger. Unlocking (keyfob or pressing door handle lock button with keyfob in range) is the only way to disengage the locking pin from any charger, so it will STOP the charging process. Unplug and re-insert to restart a Level 2 Charger. (Level 3 Charger restarts are machine specific). I'm an 18-month owner with 23k miles driven and have used DCFC about a dozen times, mostly with great results (car has never given trouble, only the chargers). You should get 180-210 highway miles depending on speed, and 210-240 city miles. Getting 145 miles is NOT normal. High heat requires HVAC and battery cooling so also reduces range (as does extreme cold necessitating heat for the battery), but should never 'go flat' at just 145 miles.
Good Morning and thank you for your valued reply and information.
I’m afraid you have misread my post regarding my 1st mileage run. My distance to home was 145 miles and the I Pace ran out of charge @ 93 miles!! I strongly expected a minimum 180 motorway mile range as you have informed so you can imagine my anxiety.... only achieving 93 miles from a dealers 97% charge!
I fully intend to pre-condition the battery for 5.30am before leaving for Folkestone (180 miles) in the Morning.
A lot of running around today and regular charging on a located 50kw Charger to hopefully help with my driving experience.

You will know doubt be a valuable contact as you have covered 23,000 miles in 18 months, a very high milesge for an EV. I hope I can call on you again for advice especially, with my very limited EV experience 😱...

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Unlocking WILL disrupt a Level 3 charger. Unlocking (keyfob or pressing door handle lock button with keyfob in range) is the only way to disengage the locking pin from any charger, so it will STOP the charging process. ...
From Jaguar online owner's manual:
To unlock the charging port when the vehicle is locked:

1. When DC charging, press the unlock button on the smart key twice. If 2-stage unlocking is active, you will need to press the unlock button 3 times to unlock the charging port. See 2-STAGE UNLOCKING .
    NOTES
    When AC charging, unlock the vehicle as normal, either using the smart key or keyless entry. See UNLOCKING THE VEHICLE.​
As you can see from above,the fob has to be pressed twice to stop the charging and unlock the cable. I was sitting at a DCFC this morning and the car works as described. One press of the fob only unlocked the doors and did not stop charging.

In i-guide, under "Unlocking the charging port" there is a note. Expand it. It contains:
"If the smart key unlock button is pressed once during DC charging, the vehicle unlocks without disrupting the charging process or unlocking the charging port."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Evening, well left on 3 pin plug overnight as my wall charger is not being fitted until 11th August, 67% after 16 hours, then found a fast charger 2 miles away (never noticed it until I bought an EV 😃) 100% charge in 30 minutes but.... range only shows 202 miles! An hour of running around and now back on the 3 pin plug until I leave for Folkestone at 6am (202 miles) with three charge points planned. My brother in law is here with us and in his petrol Porsche Cayenne is not leaving until 7.30am and we both have to be at the Euro Tunnel for 12pm. There will surely be a fault on the car / battery if I need to use all three stops? Everyone on here is telling me 180 - 240 miles on a charge. What does your I Pace read for miles on a full charge please? I don’t know if this is just a matter of the battery taking time to settle in or what? It is very confusing.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
362 Posts
Good Evening, well left on 3 pin plug overnight as my wall charger is not being fitted until 11th August, 67% after 16 hours, then found a fast charger 2 miles away (never noticed it until I bought an EV 😃) 100% charge in 30 minutes but.... range only shows 202 miles! An hour of running around and now back on the 3 pin plug until I leave for Folkestone at 6am (202 miles) with three charge points planned. My brother in law is here with us and in his petrol Porsche Cayenne is not leaving until 7.30am and we both have to be at the Euro Tunnel for 12pm. There will surely be a fault on the car / battery if I need to use all three stops? Everyone on here is telling me 180 - 240 miles on a charge. What does your I Pace read for miles on a full charge please? I don’t know if this is just a matter of the battery taking time to settle in or what? It is very confusing.
Glad to see you got to do some driving today. GoM usually reads 240-250miles after a full charge, giving me around those numbers around town and a little less (220-230) on the highway.
What was the charge rate on the fast charger you used. 30mins seems a little fast even starting around 60%. Can you estimate your range basedCV on today's driving?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see you got to do some driving today. GoM usually reads 240-250miles after a full charge, giving me around those numbers around town and a little less (220-230) on the highway.
What was the charge rate on the fast charger you used. 30mins seems a little fast even starting around 60%. Can you estimate your range basedCV on today's driving?
Instavolt 50kw. Just can’t understand why my full charge only shows 202 miles to your 240-250?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts