Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a fairly new owner of the Ipace, got it delivered in December last year, the new 320 model.

Unfortunately since I got the car there's been a lot of problems and issues with the InControl app and theft warning notifications, often several times a day. It's been in and out of the dealer 4 times to try and resolve the issue.

The dealer did "something" with the car the third time it was in. Before this the dealer told me that they will need a new TCU, but that I could use the car in the meantime while they were waiting for the shipment to arrive. The dealer somehow disabled the TCU/eliminated the theft warnings I was receiving by phone (at this point I had no contact with the car in InControl, I had sporadic connection to the car before the third trip to the dealer), which was good at the time but last weekend I had all kinds of issues with the car which I did not have before: Flat 12 volt battery on Saturday which required road side assistance to get it going again, the car did not move at all even though it was in D and R, and I was given a red triangle warning on the display about fault on the electric charging system. When I attempted to lock the car the charging port was making clicking noises and the light on the inside of the doors would not turn off after locking. And finally I was unable to charge the car on DC charger on the way home, got communication error with the charger. Now it's back at the dealer again.

So my question is, what is the TCU component, and what does it do? I've read some on it but if you guys have some info that would be appreciated. Second, do you have any opinion as to how problems with the TCU could affect the rest of the car? Could a fault on the TCU impact secondary systems (as described above), or cause a power drain of the 12 volt battery?

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is for communications between the car and Jaguar servers. It includes all of the car information. The dealer probably used Pathfinder in some manner to reset the suspected theft problem. It does not involve the charging system. It has its own internal batteries (one rechargeable and one not). They should last at least 10 years. Of course, if the charging system doesn't recharge the rechargeable battery, then you'll have TCU issues that may include suspected theft as it might think a thief disconnected it to prevent tracking of the vehicle.

This reads like you suddenly had a failure of the BCCM. This will lead to the 12V batteries going flat and prevent charging of the car. All manner of mayhem happens when the 12V batteries go flat or nearly so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is for communications between the car and Jaguar servers. It includes all of the car information. The dealer probably used Pathfinder in some manner to reset the suspected theft problem. It does not involve the charging system. It has its own internal batteries (one rechargeable and one not). They should last at least 10 years. Of course, if the charging system doesn't recharge the rechargeable battery, then you'll have TCU issues that may include suspected theft as it might think a thief disconnected it to prevent tracking of the vehicle.

This reads like you suddenly had a failure of the BCCM. This will lead to the 12V batteries going flat and prevent charging of the car. All manner of mayhem happens when the 12V batteries go flat or nearly so.
Thank you for the reply Ayepace. I agree that the two issues seem to be separate from each other and not connected, however it seemed a bit odd that these new problems surfaced right after I got the car back. It's been at the dealer since last Monday, haven't received an update yet. The TCU is not scheduled to arrive before the end of March, so the car will have to go in again in March (dealer says the delay is because of Brexit and Covid).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fyi the TCU arrived earlier and has been replaced, along with the 12 volt battery. This seems to have fixed the issues with the car. The dealer said that because of the TCU fault it had depleted the 12 volt battery, causing all the other issues with the car. Crossing my fingers that things are ok going forward :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts