Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
IMO the range for these EVs will be in the low 200 range.
Tesla is the standard for range but it comes at a cost, including cars catching on fire, premature battery degradation.
Batteries are from Panasonic that they are now working with Toyota.
Tesla has a different business model compared to other OEMs. Make the quarterly #s by any means, raise $ based on the #s, worry about risk later down the road or in court, who cares about profits.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Eeeeeewwwww! $104k - $185k for 200 miles of range. Nice look and performance, but like Audi, fail on the range. (And yes, wish I-Pace efficiency / range were better too.)

·
Registered
980 Posts
To be fair I don’t think anything about that car was designed for range. It makes the base model kind of pointless imho, so you end up paying a lot for turbo/turbo s the performance aspects. But definitely not paying for good range.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Taycan is an impressive feat of marketing. It's a very big, very heavy car with low range.. yet it's insanely hyped. I was one of the first on the waitlist here and have followed it extensively. The interesting thing was the evolution of the car from Porsche. At first it was a relatively affordable, long range, driver focused competition for Tesla. Then it switched to focusing on the charging speed. Then, and now, it's almost solely about the 0-60 time. Hence why I cancelled my deposit and got an iPace.

I really don't think it's a good car. I also think it's just as glitchy as the iPace, you can see a lot of problems popping up in the more in depth videos.

I just don't get it. If it's intended to be a super sporty, around town car.. it should be smaller. It's not like it has a bunch of storage, the trunk is very small.

I say all of this as I plan on going right back to Porsche, just not in a Taycan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder performing the EPA test during winter has something to do with it.but something is not right. If you look at Alex on autos youtube test of bunch of EVs cars real life range you will see M3 range is a lot lower than EPA. While all others were very close. That tells me EPA testing has a loop hole.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder performing the EPA test during winter has something to do with it.but something is not right. If you look at Alex on autos youtube test of bunch of EVs cars real life range you will see M3 range is a lot lower than EPA. While all others were very close. That tells me EPA testing has a loop hole.
EPA testing is not done outdoors, but in a controlled environment using a dynamometer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess my point about the Taycan #s is this: new generation pricing for old generation range. If it weren't for cold-weather impacts, the I-Pace would be running pretty well for me (hit 269 this summer, with 250 a pretty standard full-charge range). Winter, with drag of climate control, is much closer to 200 miles per full charge. Hopefully future optimizations help out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hate to repeat but whether it’s right or wrong I think it’s not fair to judge the Taycan by the range game. Don’t get me wrong, if range is important get a Bolt, cuz Tesla massively overstated the range in real life while the Bokt delivered a solid 180-250 for me year round at 60 KWHr battery.

But Taycan is not for range, it’s a halo EV for a halo “sport” brand. It’s a little like talking about 911s as being gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Or get a Model S Performance and have both . . .
Well you can not have the Performance AND the range. And imho there is no comparison between these two cars in many ways. If you like one you won’t like (or appreciate) the other.

I would never get the Model S performance (and I looked at it a couple of times) but the Taycan is a definite possibility.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The Tesla interiors are still ****. It's like they're trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

It's like people who go to Ikea and say, "Wow, this is nice!" No, it's not nice. It's cheap and shitty. Scandinavians make some nice furniture, but none of it is sold at Ikea.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hate to repeat but whether it’s right or wrong I think it’s not fair to judge the Taycan by the range game. Don’t get me wrong, if range is important get a Bolt, cuz Tesla massively overstated the range in real life while the Bokt delivered a solid 180-250 for me year round at 60 KWHr battery.

But Taycan is not for range, it’s a halo EV for a halo “sport” brand. It’s a little like talking about 911s as being gas guzzlers.
No, it's really not like that.

You can't get a Taycan to a windy mountain road and enjoy it, unless you happen to live within 30 miles of one. This has been the hallmark of Porsche and the Taycan can't do it. Comparing the Taycan to a 911, the best possible sports car that can also be a grand tourer or daily driver and has 400 miles of range with 2 minutes to full at any gas station, is laughable.

The Taycan is a show car. It's a car you buy to impress your friends and strangers, but they'll just think it's a Panamera. If you're just using it for around town, why in the WORLD would you pay twice the cost of an iPace? The iPace is smaller but has more storage, better backseats, and in my opinion a more unique look. It's a BETTER city/everyday car.

The Taycan is a great example of a car made for marketing & reviewers. Yeah, when Porsche drops off a fully charged Taycan next to a mountain road for a reviewer to mess around in it's great fun. But the consumer just won't have that experience.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Exactly. To actually "get away from it all" and really drive the Taycan you need sufficient usable range for the out-and-back trip. E-Tron presents same problem for the SUV class -- and that's what longer-range Rivians are set to solve. Tesla proves you can have long range and performance. So, Porsche/Audi again fails. And tell me 911-performance fans would thumb their noses at GT model because of the spartan interior. Sure.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think I didn’t make my point clear, I wasn’t commenting on the range or the ease of driving around. I was more saying trying to design the Taycan to be most efficient in its use of battery (miles/KWHr) is like looking at gas mileage. I consider it not a show car, don’t give a fig what others think. In fact being a Porsche is a disincentive to me. But if I get one it will be exactly to throw it around, not at all to drive around town. To me that’s silly, I’ll take the Bolt-I Pace as the range of driving around cars. It may be the best driving/handling BEV available right now, sorry Tesla fans. It’s a real sports car for people who like cars.

No car at that price is a daily driver, not for me.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/taycan

@Calidave: are you saying you can get performance and range from Tesla, or that depending on how you drive it you can get one or another? Because physics is physics, you start pushing the Model S and forgetting the heat throttling if you go full out your range will plummet. We do not know yet what the grandma driving range of a Taycan will be. I know how I drive (medium) no Tesla is anywhere near its stated range.

·
Registered
902 Posts
200 miles is plenty of range for a fun drive in the twisties. It's a bit low for such an expensive car, though. Tesla proves you can do better with efficiency.

That said, the Taycan is just too big for a true sports car. Great for the track at that size, but not great for a narrow canyon road.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts