Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
324 Posts
I find the suspension pretty stiff in dynamic and a bit too wallowy if taking corners hard in comfort. The whole point of AD is to dynamically adjust the suspension constantly to keep the car level on dynamic mode. Have to say mine works perfectly in that and I came from a Nissan GTR not known for its forgiving suspension set up (even on comfort mode).

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Sure, whatever on other (sometimes much cheaper) cars is achieved in base trim just by going right size stabilizer bars, on I-Pace requires tier 2 air suspension upgrade.
But then, stiffness, damping and body roll stabilization are 3 individual parameters addressed by different suspension components. The TS was talking about stiffness (which I agree could be softer), and consensus on body roll seems to be - OK-ish even on standard air suspension. But damping is just not there.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That's good.
Just as an experiment - try rolling over a speed bump at ~25 mph, and see how many times it swigs up-down afterwards. In ideal case should be 0 (just return to balance point). I'm counting 3 on my one (down-up-down-stabilizes). All other cars I had - 1 swing max.
But careful - once you notice it, will be impossible to unnotice.
Its the only thing that really bothers me about the I-Pace and I would say it's a major flaw.
Try driving it on the horrible roads of Downtown LA with Tons of potholes and it's unbearable.
I would gladly give up the air suspension if it got rid of this problem

Reactions: dcdrive

·
Registered
2019 S with S21A and 16.2
110 Posts
I don’t have the dynamic suspension and the car is not setup the way I like suspension setup. I think Jag chose medium stiff shocks and springs and very stiff anti-roll bars. I think this is why the car rides well over bumps that effect one axle at a time. This would cause the issues disrupting the car when hitting a bump mid-corner. This also would explain the ride when crossing speed bumps at an angle. I considered disconnecting the sway bars and testing it out but it doesn’t bother me enough. I just drive straight over speed bumps. The suspension setup seems similar to what Mini uses. The super stiff anti-roll bars make the car feel sporty since the car feels like it turns immediately after steering input.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Remember, this is a car that can go around a race track pretty well and then go off road pretty well too. This will not outdo a BMW M SUV on the track, but it will outdo the M SUV off road. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darned amazing still. Perhaps they could soften it up if they added some active anti-roll bars, magneto dampers, and rear wheel steering. But then we'll be in the Taycan price range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll add my two cents ...

I drive in both Dynamic and Comfort with AD set to defaults except for acceleration which I've dialed down to comfort settings.

I drive on a mixture of uneven brick streets and surface streets on my commute. Depending on the route, sometimes there are speed humps (wide trapezoidal shape with a slope at the beginning and end and a flat top) and sometimes not. Because it's Florida, I frequently drive through deep drainage gullies.

On the uneven brick streets, I drive in comfort for obvious reasons plus I get a "hum" in the car at certain speeds on brick streets if in dynamic. Otherwise I'm in dynamic adjusted as set out above. I mostly drive in dynamic because I like the steering feel, but also because I have a half-baked theory that the 50/50 motor split may be gentler on the fragile front wiring harness.

I personally have not noticed the poor damping described above and I drive aggressively when conditions allow. I do feel the weight of the car and perhaps I've lowered my expectations to fit. I'm also implicitly comparing the I Pace to my wife's Velar which even though it is the "sporty" RR, feels piggish compared to I Pace. I'll pay closer attention next time I have the opportunity to take either a gully or hump at a decent speed (more than 30 mph).

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
324 Posts
I do think AD makes a huge difference and is not really explained well by JLR in their sales literature.

Comfort is soft but wallowy and uncomfortably boat like on rough surfaces. Dynamic with AD is rock solid and sharp in all conditions that I have found.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
To me the feel of the drive of a car is one of the most important factors to consider when buying. If I don't like the way it feels, I don't buy it.
I test drove the i-Pace at least a couple times, and it felt pretty good - but I didn't happen to encounter the scenario causing it wildly swing back & forth (left-right) on its suspension - something I've experienced (and hate) in SUVs before, but certainly didn't expect in this vehicle. Ownership provided the opportunity to drive it over surfaces and in a style that I may not have in my test drives. Of course I was trying to determine how the car felt on the test drives, but my experience of the car's quirks and flaws were revealed over weeks not minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Comfort is soft but wallowy and uncomfortably boat like on rough surfaces. Dynamic with AD is rock solid and sharp in all conditions that I have found.
Mostly what I've found too. It bugs me that I have to put in dynamic just to drive the car. Like Pollo de muerte, I drive it with suspension and steering in "dynamic" and acceleration in "comfort". I wish the car would simply default to that at startup, but at least the settings "stick" in AD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, if any other useful information is included like:
  • Was the stock suspension air suspension or the plain one?
  • What were the modifications?
  • What parts did he use?
  • Results?

The description mentions "Intrax" but nothing more specific.

Thanks in advance!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts