Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the I-Pace can potentially handle much better than it does. As it is (I have the air suspension), the vehicle sways horribly in corners, even in "dynamic" mode. Anyone hear of installing sway-bars on the I-Pace, or other suspension mods that will help it hustle around corners? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think the I-Pace can potentially handle much better than it does. As it is (I have the air suspension), the vehicle sways horribly in corners, even in "dynamic" mode. Anyone hear of installing sway-bars on the I-Pace, or other suspension mods that will help it hustle around corners? Thanks!
Maybe you can contact the supplier for the race version suspension? I've not seen any aftermarket suspension. A clever fellow could lengthen and shorten the arms of the ride height sensors to get a lower car. A truly clever fellow could gain control of the dynamic suspension computer.

I think sticky tires alone would do a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats odd. Do you have the adaptive dynamics option? It makes a significant difference in handling. In comfort mode the body does tend to lean a lot in sweeping corners but in dynamic mode it corners flat is very stable.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think he's used to a 911, not an off road capable 2.5 ton suv. I find the roll more than acceptable for what the car is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
smitty, I found this interesting older Jalopnik article and YouTube video of Randy Pobst at Laguna Seca.

Jaguar claims the I-Pace lapped the 11-turn road coarse in 1:48.18 completely stock, with no modifications. Jaguar and Motor Trend claim that’s a record for a “four-door stock production electric vehicle.”

There is a G sensor overlay on the screen. The car speedo and the speed sensor seem to differ.

The car seems to be cornering without much body roll, it must be in an optimum Dynamic setting maybe with TCS off too.

I can't determine if Dynamic Mode is displayed on the dash, the infotainment screen seems to be stuck on a settings page.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
484 Posts
....I can't determine if Dynamic Mode is displayed on the dash, the infotainment screen seems to be stuck on a settings page.

Cheers, Steve
Isn't the silver ring on the power gauge on the dash characteristic of dynamic mode?

·
Registered
898 Posts
The body roll is very pronounced when corning on uneven roads.
Ive actually caught air going 50mph when the car jumped on an uneven road

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The body roll is very pronounced when corning on uneven roads.
Ive actually caught air going 50mph when the car jumped on an uneven road
I know it failed the moose test, but our road is a mess of every kind of bump and dip, and I never had this issue. And I have driven in a way that I should not ever, ever do again but likely will. Those all season 20s can grip.

Reactions: PS702

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats odd. Do you have the adaptive dynamics option? It makes a significant difference in handling. In comfort mode the body does tend to lean a lot in sweeping corners but in dynamic mode it corners flat is very stable.
Interesting. I do have the adaptive dynamics option. In dynamic mode, I find steering feel and throttle response to be better, but I find the suspension hardly changes at all. Lots of body roll. I wonder if I should take it into the dealer for a look..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe you can contact the supplier for the race version suspension? I've not seen any aftermarket suspension. A clever fellow could lengthen and shorten the arms of the ride height sensors to get a lower car. A truly clever fellow could gain control of the dynamic suspension computer.

I think sticky tires alone would do a lot.
Ha ha! I wish I were more clever!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
smitty, I found this interesting older Jalopnik article and YouTube video of Randy Pobst at Laguna Seca.

Jaguar claims the I-Pace lapped the 11-turn road coarse in 1:48.18 completely stock, with no modifications. Jaguar and Motor Trend claim that’s a record for a “four-door stock production electric vehicle.”

There is a G sensor overlay on the screen. The car speedo and the speed sensor seem to differ.

The car seems to be cornering without much body roll, it must be in an optimum Dynamic setting maybe with TCS off too.

I can't determine if Dynamic Mode is displayed on the dash, the infotainment screen seems to be stuck on a settings page.

Cheers, Steve
I remember seeing that! And had forgotten about it. More and more it's starting to appear that the suspension isn't doing what it should do in dynamic mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he's used to a 911, not an off road capable 2.5 ton suv. I find the roll more than acceptable for what the car is.
You are right, to some extent. All my cars over the last 15 years have had good to great handling, with a couple modified for the track - finally topping out with the 911 (which needed no mods whatsoever - except arguably the shitty sound system!). The Jag handles better than any SUV-like vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in... but I do think it can do much better. I've had quite a bit of track experience over the years, and have found myself wondering how the i-pace could possibly have hustled around the track the way it did in all those articles that I read prior to purchasing. Mine, in dynamic mode, can't even handle a high speed sweeping on-ramp!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, thanks everyone for all the input! I'm going to tinker with dynamic mode in my car a bit, and perhaps take it into the dealer. It sounds like my suspension isn't behaving the way it should and dynamic mode. It sure would be great if this "just" were a software issue rather than a mechanical one. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
848 Posts
What trim level is your cat? S, SE, HSE or FE? What wheel size? What tires? What tire pressures?
Your post was complaining about the suspension, but lacking information useful in making an assessment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FE. 19". OEM All-Seasons. 36/41. All immaterial I think, since significant body roll in high-speed corners is the issue I'm trying to resolve. I'm not running out of grip. The car gets scary long before that - which is what makes me think it has the potential to handle better. In all my cars of the past 15 years, tires have been a limiting factor. Not so here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi smitty, we both have FEs, mine corners hard and flat as in the Laguna Seca video above. (y)

I have the 20" wheels & tires that came with the car. Front to rear weights are reported as 50%:50% so I am currently running 41 & 42 PSI for hills & country road driving on sealed roads in very good condition.

I just checked my infotainment screen app "Dynamic-i" it has been "Reset" to Factory Settings ie all 3 options are set to Dynamic (none are set to Comfort). The Dynamic-i App also includes a G Meter with max hold display that I have not used yet, but it may be helpful with your problem. On the Laguna Seca video the car is displaying the Dynamic-i app Lap Timer page, in pause mode.

Your body roll problems may be due to a Comfort option "set" in Dynamic mode or soft front tires or a faulty Adaptive Dynamics module.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: jsimon7777

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I don't think it's an issue with being in comfort mode. Even in comfort mode, the car doesn't lean all that much. In dynamic, it's noticeably flatter, but not dramatically so.

Where are you, @smitty? Maybe someone nearby can see what's up while socially distanced?

It could be something weird with whatever 19" tires you're running. Damaged suspension. Alignment issue. With 20" all seasons, the car corners at least .85g and swallows bumps while doing so. I have done the same road in anger with an E60 550i sport, E60 528i, FRS, Forester, xA, Integra LS, Model X, Model 3 Performance, Spark EV, Fiat 500EV, 135i, and Z4. The only car from the list that gripped more confidently was the M3P on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but dear god was it a dull drive. Also my arms hurt because of the messed up steering effort. I've never had that happen before. But I digress. Your experience is quite different from mine.

I gotta get stickier tires for the FRS, but the rear is set up to slip no matter what.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts