Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have the 2019 HSE version of the I-Pace. It seems my only suspension settings are stiff and stiffer! I mean on comfort it is stiff and on dynamic it is stiffer. I have the tire pressure set for light load at 37 psi for the 20" inch tires. Their does not seem to be a comfort mode. I was reading some posts about body roll and not enopugh handling performance. I beg to differ. I get very little body roll and in dynamic mode, pulled a 1.11g left hand turn! Back to the original issue. Does anyone else think that the suspension in comfort mode is too stiff? Note that I have had several XKRs and XJs so I have some comparison reference.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Repeating the above question, do you have the dynamic suspension that adjusts or just the regular suspension? You can always switch to 18" wheels to soften the ride. It is not a buttery ride, but it does corner quite well. However, if you want to get beat up, try driving an FRS.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
I thought my i-pace rode great on the stock 20s. Now that I'm on 22' it's definitely got a lot more feel though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Repeating the above question, do you have the dynamic suspension that adjusts or just the regular suspension? You can always switch to 18" wheels to soften the ride. It is not a buttery ride, but it does corner quite well. However, if you want to get beat up, try driving an FRS.
I have both active dynamics and air suspension.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have both active dynamics and air suspension.
Then 18" wheels is probably your best option. It can be confusing since all American I-Paces have air suspension, but the active option is an extra, even on the HSE. It's standard on the FE though.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
I think it really gets down to what car you came to the i-Pace from. I can from years and years of sports cars, the last being a Shelby GT350. To me, Jag seems smooth as butter.
Totally agree with that. I have the pleasure of driving a loaner right now, a Disco Sport. Nice car when it's moving in a straight line, but what a freaking awful throttle response. Corners? Not so much. It's so much more boaty than the I-Pace that I'll take the I-Pace's occasional slightly more responsive bump over lumbering hippo any time. And even so I don't think that the I-Pace is harsh ... I think it's quite smooth. 18" wheels at 38 psi btw. 🍺

·
Registered
673 Posts
Then 18" wheels is probably your best option. It can be confusing since all American I-Paces have air suspension, but the active option is an extra, even on the HSE. It's standard on the FE though.
I think you meant "Adaptive Dynamics" because even without this option, you can choose "Dynamic" in drive setting along with "Comfort" and "ECO." I have an "S" trim but I chose Adaptive Dynamics and Adaptive Surface Response as options.

·
Registered
2020 S
82 Posts
Totally agree with that. I have the pleasure of driving a loaner right now, a Disco Sport. Nice car when it's moving in a straight line, but what a freaking awful throttle response. Corners? Not so much. It's so much more boaty than the I-Pace that I'll take the I-Pace's occasional slightly more responsive bump over lumbering hippo any time. And even so I don't think that the I-Pace is harsh ... I think it's quite smooth. 18" wheels at 38 psi btw. 🍺
Spot on. I also had a Disco Sport for a loaner one day. If anyone is having trouble appreciating how their I-Pace drives they just need to drive a Disco Sport for a day.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The suspension is something I pay a lot of attention to as well.
Yes it's stiff compared to a Range Rover Long Wheelbase or a luxury Sedan, but it's a balance of off road use, luxury and sports car.
A Taycan is the perfect balance of a smooth ride and handling, but you can't off road with it.

I was on Sunsets Blvd the other night going really fast on the twisty roads and it handled like a champ.
I couldn't do that with a Range Rover

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
32 Posts
Totally agree with that. I have the pleasure of driving a loaner right now, a Disco Sport. Nice car when it's moving in a straight line, but what a freaking awful throttle response.
I was given a Disco Sport loaner while my car was in the shop this week. I completely agree with your comments about the throttle response and handling. I live in an area that was affected by the huge winter storm. The engine's turbo-lag made it difficult to modulate the throttle from a stop, impairing my ability to maintain traction. I don't want to complain too much, though. I hear that Tesla owners end up with an Uber gift card when their car goes into the shop.

I got my I-Pace back yesterday and was impressed at how well it handled the unplowed and icy roads. Part of that was the smooth "throttle" tip-in, but it also had a magical ability to stay glued to the road, even when cornering.

I really feel spoiled by this car :).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello,
I have the 2019 HSE version of the I-Pace. It seems my only suspension settings are stiff and stiffer! I mean on comfort it is stiff and on dynamic it is stiffer. I have the tire pressure set for light load at 37 psi for the 20" inch tires. Their does not seem to be a comfort mode. I was reading some posts about body roll and not enopugh handling performance. I beg to differ. I get very little body roll and in dynamic mode, pulled a 1.11g left hand turn! Back to the original issue. Does anyone else think that the suspension in comfort mode is too stiff? Note that I have had several XKRs and XJs so I have some comparison reference.
Thanks.
Yes agree, I have the same model and year and its too stiff on comfort mode

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think you meant "Adaptive Dynamics" because even without this option, you can choose "Dynamic" in drive setting along with "Comfort" and "ECO." I have an "S" trim but I chose Adaptive Dynamics and Adaptive Surface Response as options.
I meant active suspension, as in suspension that responds to various sensors. I don't try to sort through or remember all the Jaguar marketing speak. They have one group of traction control settings. Then air suspension that can be raised and lowered. Then adjustments to ride and handling that can happen actively. I refer here to the last one. I don't know what is actually adjusted in this suspension. Rebound and compression? Just one of the two?

I have used the Jaguar off road, briefly, to avoid a long wait. That alone made the tradeoffs of the current suspension worthwhile. Rear steer, active anti-roll bars, and magnetorheological shocks would likely give a better ride and even better handling, but we'd lose the raising/lowering capability. I'm happy as it is. But... if a proper 911 type EV came out... smaller than the Taycan, with all the suspension bells and whistles, I'd be sorely tempted.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't say I have found the suspension on mine too stiff I think it is just about right even in dynamic mode. I also have 20" wheels with air and adaptive dynamics.

As others have said I think it depends on your point of comparison I came from 3 nissan GTRs before the ipace and it compares well even to the post 2017 gtr which had about the best suspension set up.

It's meant to be a little firm but I wouldn't say it's harsh and it compares well to my wife's SQ5.

If you are used to driving something softer (and I would put most American cars I have ever driven in that category regardless of their sporting pretensions), then it will be a little harder but nothing to complain about. Try driving an earlier GTR and see how you find the contrast ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine is fine other than crossing any type of bump or any imperfection in the road at a 45 deg angle. In that instance the car oscillates left and right much worse than any other vehicle I have had. It's really the only time I don't like driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Mine is fine other than crossing any type of bump or any imperfection in the road at a 45 deg angle. In that instance the car oscillates left and right much worse than any other vehicle I have had. It's really the only time I don't like driving the vehicle.
This is exactly what I experience and is the my only qualm with the I-Pace. It makes it a very unpleasant driving experience when that happens.
I even took it to multiple dealers because it seemed over exaggerated.

I believe because the car is made to off-road so it's acceptable.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah, the car can get upset. The stability control software is imperfect for sure. However, try taking a pickup truck through the same corner at the same speed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts