Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into a parking spot where the belly was dragging in hard snow. Put the car in the highest setting. Then lowered the car down to try to squash some of the snow with the car’s weight. When I raced it again, the car went into extended suspension mode.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pulled into a parking spot where the belly was dragging in hard snow. Put the car in the highest setting. Then lowered the car down to try to squash some of the snow with the car’s weight. When I raced it again, the car went into extended suspension mode. View attachment 5335
Yes very cool, there is a special mode to extend beyond existing extension.

Once the extended mode height is achieved, additional lifting can be requested, if required. Press the brake pedal to maintain control of the vehicle. Press the up button (1) for longer than 3 seconds

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Car went into deep snow. I lowered it to accessibility height- the sensor detected it and then a message came on the display: press raise switch and brake pedal for 3s for additional suspension lift.

Afterwards a second message:
Re-select suspension height if clear of obstacles. Suspension in extended mode.
The icon circled with red shows the extended mode as an arrow near the car height.

Extended height mode: front 36.5” + rear 37”
Off Road height: front 35” + rear 36”

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
32 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I had heard that this feature existed but hadn't seen it in effect. Kind of makes it look like a monster truck.

BTW, I think santa fell out of his sleigh ;).

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! The manual brushes over this, but I felt like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast “where are the pictures!?!”

Sadly Santa couldn’t kick the Eggnog habit so Mrs. Clause kicked him to the curb. Donner and Blitzen should have called an Uber.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
Look in the rear view mirror and watch the faces of anyone behind you in a drive through while you do that. ;)
Or watch a Tesla driver who came up next to you at a stop light. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
In a Range Rover, you can access two levels of "off road" height from the instrument panel but there's a trick to gaining "super" extended suspension height that is hinted at in the OP ... (1) raise the car to off road height, (2) place jack stands underneath the car; (3) hit the button for regular height and when the car hits the jack stands, it will go even higher than what can be activated through the instrument panel.

The Range Rover is designed to use this "super" extended mode when it detects deep water or bottoming out in extreme off road situations. Off roaders will carry a tree stump or jack stand to trigger this mode in advance of a challenging crossing. Folks will also trigger it for maintenance.

Based on this post and the owner's manual (Suspension > Extended Mode), the I Pace operates the same way.

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a Range Rover, you can access two levels of "off road" height from the instrument panel but there's a trick to gaining "super" extended suspension height that is hinted at in the OP ... (1) raise the car to off road height, (2) place jack stands underneath the car; (3) hit the button for regular height and when the car hits the jack stands, it will go even higher than what can be activated through the instrument panel.

The Range Rover is designed to use this "super" extended mode when it detects deep water or bottoming out in extreme off road situations. Off roaders will carry a tree stump or jack stand to trigger this mode in advance of a challenging crossing. Folks will also trigger it for maintenance.

Based on this post and the owner's manual (Suspension > Extended Mode), the I Pace operates the same way.
Wow thanks for sharing that! You are right it’s the exact same concept. I really like the look of the higher car

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
32 Posts
Pulled into a parking spot where the belly was dragging in hard snow. Put the car in the highest setting. Then lowered the car down to try to squash some of the snow with the car’s weight. When I raced it again, the car went into extended suspension mode.
I placed a styrofoam block under one of the jacking points and was able to replicate the @Groshyubcha's findings. Ground clearance measured 9", excluding the front and rear air deflectors. I drove it down the alley for a stretch and it felt like driving an ox cart.

When in extended mode, the I-Pace has more ground clearance than a Discovery Sport. It has many of the capabilities of a crossover, but I don't think that most shoppers appreciate that. I also don't think that people equate Jaguar with soft-road abilities. It makes me wonder if calling it a Land Rover would have been a better strategy for JLR.

I'll try to post photos later--it's fun to find new capabilities after 9 months of ownership. The other "fun" capability I've discovered recently is the 0% 12v battery/100% traction battery feature.

Update: Photo posted below. Ready for the Rubicon Trail and the Trader Joe's parking lot, I think.

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Vandy2020 thats awesome and looks great! I agree the car has amazing capacity to make almost everyone satisfied: soft roader, sports car, family hauler, work car. JLR needs better marketing now that electric cars are more mainstream. NYT recently featured an overview of electric cars and of course the iPace was left off.
I thought Range Rover were introducing an all electric model soon?

·
Registered
218 Posts
So if I am reading this correctly there is no way to manually select the extended mode except by tricking the car like Vandy2020 did by placing an obstruction under the car and then lowering it?

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
32 Posts
So if I am reading this correctly there is no way to manually select the extended mode except by tricking the car like Vandy2020 did by placing an obstruction under the car and then lowering it?
Yes, that's correct. There was an OBD2-based tool called IIDTool that allowed you to mess with the settings on older Land Rovers. I don't think that this is compatible with the most recent iterations of the air suspension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts