Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
From the article: "can also lower the car at highway speeds to lessen aerodynamic drag" - nope, otherwise this mod wouldn't be needed. Tesla can do this, Jag always returns to standard height above 25 mph or so.
And yes, the vertical piece on the photo is the link.

·
Registered
827 Posts
From the article: "can also lower the car at highway speeds to lessen aerodynamic drag" - nope, otherwise this mod wouldn't be needed. Tesla can do this, Jag always returns to standard height above 25 mph or so.
And yes, the vertical piece on the photo is the link.
"The sophisticated Active Air Suspension automatically lowers the car by 0.4 inches when traveling at speeds in excess of 65 mph over extended periods of time, when certain conditions are met." That's from Jaguar themselves.

·
Registered
344 Posts
"The sophisticated Active Air Suspension automatically lowers the car by 0.4 inches when traveling at speeds in excess of 65 mph over extended periods of time, when certain conditions are met." That's from Jaguar themselves.
I've had the car raise up slightly upon stopping at the end of an offramp following a long highway run. I was not sure if it was automatic, or related to me switching from Eco to Dynamic, but it definitely raised up slightly. I only noticed it because I had the windows down and no music playing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have the links installed.

ive noticed that when I reach speeds (possibly above 25 mph) when I get a notification that “normal height“ is reached. I suspect that the suspension auto raises above a certain speed and lowers above a certain speed.

Perhaps it raises the suspension to normal height when above 25 mph and lowers it again above 65 mph?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Ok, good to know.
No wonder it's not noticeable, being automatic, and 0.4 only.
I have the links installed.

ive noticed that when I reach speeds (possibly above 25 mph) when I get a notification that “normal height“ is reached. I suspect that the suspension auto raises above a certain speed and lowers above a certain speed.
Perhaps you have "Access Height" on, then it resets when you start driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forgive the naiveté of this post, but am I reading correctly that this mod offered by dcdrive will remove the god awful shakiness/bounciness of this car? I can't drive down one d*mn road in Chicago without everyone in the car feeling like they've been through a wash cycle. And if so, why on earth isn't JLR just solving this at the factory level?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Forgive the naiveté of this post, but am I reading correctly that this mod offered by dcdrive will remove the god awful shakiness/bounciness of this car? I can't drive down one d*mn road in Chicago without everyone in the car feeling like they've been through a wash cycle. And if so, why on earth isn't JLR just solving this at the factory level?
It will reduce that god awful bouncing by a significant amount. To me it's how the I-Pace should have been designed initially.
The reason it was is because it's an off road vehicle too so this affects it's street usability.
This is the biggest flaw of the I-Pace. You really feel it on poor roads

·
Registered
344 Posts
I live in an older neighborhood (by Florida standards) with undulating brick streets. My trick is (a) always drive in Dynamic; and (b) raise the suspension height on really bad sections of road. That combo works the best for me in both the I Pace and the wife's Velar. Comfort at any height is bad on rough roads on either car.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Seems there are two issues at the time, different people are referring to.
Washing board effect on bumpy road is due to overall stiff suspension which comes naturally with any higher performance car. This can potentially be addressed by what @Pollo de muerte suggests - rising it, to possibly soften up. Or lowering tire pressure.
The whole separate issue is bouncing, when the car keeps swaying or oscillating after going over more substantial bumps. Here, lowering will help due to center of gravity, and decreased suspension travel, thus dampening larger movements. Small bumps feel little less as per my experience, but there's no rational explanation to this, so maybe just imagination. Tire pressure will affect it much more anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make sure you are using the lower tire pressure setting. At 51 psi that ride can be very rough on bad roads.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Lowering the car means lowering the air pressure in the air springs meaning softer springs. Raising the air pressure raises the car and stiffens the springs. Dynamic mode on properly equipped cars will increase the damping of the suspension, controlling the wobble.

The I-Pace is a bit stiffly sprung at the normal ride height, and more so when raised. The damping is too weak in regular mode and reasonable but still a bit weak in dynamic.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Alright, couple of news, everyone.
The car went into the shop some time ago (aux 12V issue), and I've switched back to standard links for that, just in case.
The links look like new after ~16K mi, and suspension is all good, except the ride in standard height is still noticeably worse.
Then replaced tires. The change was tremendous, as softer compound at higher pressure makes it butter-smooth, quiet ride with lot of grip and stability. In fact, at 38 psi now it feels softer on small bumps and more supportive in corners, than GY Eagles at 33 psi.
Then finally redid an alignment in lowered setup. Front toe was significantly outward at -0.75 deg total, but based on suspension design, it's not what lowering links can induce. So guess just a factory mishap. Predictably, camber is not adjustable, and ends up at ~2.4 deg on rear which is not that big of a deal, but during intense accelerations, the car is squatting a bit, which increases that angle under high traction load, thus resulting in accelerated inner thread wear (saw it on the old tires). But that's pretty obvious and expected I guess.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts