Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Now we need somebody to rewrite all onboard software, and it will be an ideal car !

Registered
Now we need somebody to rewrite all onboard software, and it will be an ideal car !
@smitty said it all.

IMO the suspension is the biggest flaw of the
I-Pace.
Jaguar tried to make the I-Pace everything, for every driver. It's a sports car, track car, CUV, off-road SUV, shooting brake. The reality is that it can't be all.
This compromised the suspension on the I-Pace.

The Range Rover HSE is a smoother, more Luxury and better off-roader, but can't handle the track like an I-Pace.
They should have made the I-Pace a sporty road CUV/shooting brake, not a sporty, Off-road CUV.
Doing a poll on the FB group, 40% use the I-Pace for off-roading. No offense @sciencegeek 馃榿

It should have been this low from the factory, even lower in dynamic mode to reduce body roll and the heavy lateral movement optimized for off-road use.

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
@smitty said it all.

IMO the suspension is the biggest flaw of the
I-Pace.
Jaguar tried to make the I-Pace everything, for every driver. It's a sports car, track car, CUV, off-road SUV, shooting brake. The reality is that it can't be all.
This compromised the suspension on the I-Pace.

The Range Rover HSE is a smoother, more Luxury and better off-roader, but can't handle the track like an I-Pace.
They should have made the I-Pace a sporty road CUV/shooting brake, not a sporty, Off-road CUV.
Doing a poll on the FB group, 40% use the I-Pace for off-roading. No offense @sciencegeek 馃榿

It should have been this low from the factory, even lower in dynamic mode to reduce body roll and the heavy lateral movement optimized for off-road use.
While modifying the suspension to YOUR needs is none of my business, if the factory settings were as you wished some of us would not have purchased the I-Pace.
It was designed as a crossover/SUV, and that was what many wanted when buying. And, yes that means compromises in the design.
For my situation, I was looking for a sporty utility vehicle with plenty of ground clearance for both unpaved driveways and roads, as well as handling a good winter storm. A little performance and a pleasant driving experience were a bonus that sealed the deal.
As an aside, I am often bemused by the tendency of many EV owners for speed, acceleration and power. The beauty of these cars is the lack of an internal combustion engine. Yes, that's boring and not very stimulating, but EV's are the future not because they accelerate fast, but because they pollute less and are cheaper to run.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The root issue is not height, it's bouncy behavior.
There are bunch if SUVs/trucks of the same weight range and even higher clearance, yet much more stable.
The way I-Pace suspension behaves in stock, compromises all other sporty features.
Lowering the suspension is the easiest (and maybe the only) option to address the issue.

Registered
Has anyone had their car checked for alignment or camber issues after installing the lowering rods? Just curious if there are adjustments that need to made.

Reactions: dcdrive

Registered
There are bunch if SUVs/trucks of the same weight range and even higher clearance, yet much more stable.
The way I-Pace suspension behaves in stock, compromises all other sporty features.
Lowering the suspension is the easiest (and maybe the only) option to address the issue.
I feel the bouncy behavior compromises normal driving too, not just sporty.
The lowering solves this, but I believe the reason it even has the bouncy behavior in the first place is it doesn't have a focus.

Registered
Completely agree. I had a new Land Rover Discovery as a loaner recently, and the suspension was everything I could hope for in a luxury vehicle. Really, it was kind of magical, considering what a POS the previous Disco was (I've had a couple of those on loan as well). OTH, I've also driven a Porsche Cayenne on loan, and its suspension suffered similarly to the stock I-Pace. Pehaps trying to make an SUV into a sports car isn't such a good idea.

Registered
Has anyone had their car checked for alignment or camber issues after installing the lowering rods? Just curious if there are adjustments that need to made.
When the car is lowered into access height, I can clearly see the rear wheels are off camber. Hard to tell in normal height. My tires have gotten pretty chewed up driving dirt roads, so I'm thinking about an alignment after I get new tires.

Registered
When the car is lowered into access height, I can clearly see the rear wheels are off camber. Hard to tell in normal height. My tires have gotten pretty chewed up driving dirt roads, so I'm thinking about an alignment after I get new tires.
I need to get an alignment for sure. Its pulling left now

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Guess I should have done this right away, at least to see how much offset the new links induce.
Although regular tire inspection doesn't show any wear impact after >1000 mi.
Wondering if coming to the 3rd party car shop (Firestone ?) is a good idea.

Registered
Guess I should have done this right away, at least to see how much offset the new links induce.
Although regular tire inspection doesn't show any wear impact after >1000 mi.
Wondering if coming to the 3rd party car shop (Firestone ?) is a good idea.
I'm thinking of Firestone to get the lifetime alignment service too.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts