Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Results are here. Suspension feels pretty good on my quick test drive. The entire install took me 16 minutes.
Car looks beautiful.

So it sits lower when parked?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Car looks beautiful.

So it sits lower when parked?
Without modification the access height is lower in the front than this modification at normal height.

You may lose the use of access height when modified. Sometimes it works, but most of the time when I hit the button it tells me there is an obstruction and raises the car back up. It didn't do this this morning but hard to tell with the morning glare. Gonna have to play with it some more to be sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't understand the access height thing. It seems to me that it's easier to get in and out when the car is higher, not lower. Hence all the crossover/SUV popularity.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The ones I have are fully adjustable, so I installed them to a height I loved to look at (75mm front / 50mm rear)
What I found out is, that due to suspension pin placement, much shorter than 60mm may result in straight sensor arm pull (which is incorrect as it should be tangential). So I wouldn't suggest or go below 55mm myself, but good to know that 50mm worked.
You could get the aftermarket adjustable ones for a Range Rover if you need something stock size in a pinch.
Somebody tried them back in days and said they're too big. $100+ seems too much for questionable experiment.
However (@JDH), that's what I found:
The sensor itself may be different, and probably not genuine, but the link looks right.
Yes access height is no longer available. It does think the car is caught on something too low
But then why you need it if it's already in that lowest position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One more tip if you want that super low look that access height would provide with this lowering setup.

Once you get where you are going turn off the car, push and hold the access height button until it's lowest point then get out of the car. This will have the sensor ignore that its too low until the car is turned back on again.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
One more tip if you want that super low look that access height would provide with this lowering setup.

Once you get where you are going turn off the car, push and hold the access height button until it's lowest point then get out of the car. This will have the sensor ignore that its too low until the car is turned back on again.
But you can't drive in that position, and climbing in/out is easier when it's high actually.
Good to know though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just got mine installed, took over a little over an hour to do.

Some quick feedback and I'll do a longer review with some more driving.

The handling on corners is night and day better. I take some curvy roads at 80mph, before it was around 60 before tires start to lose grip
I'm going to take in on canyon road to test it out more.
Because it sits lower, it also inspires more confidence at higher speeds as it grips the road better.

The worst part of the suspension has been going over bumps and uneven roads. The side to side movement is absolutely terrible.
That impact now is significantly better. The extreme side to side movement has been reduced much less and makes it bearable. Not perfect, it's probably a 60% reduction in the sway

On perfect roads the I-Pace rides as sooth as glass.
What I noticed on my short test is you feel more of the Minor street imperfections and you feel less of the major street imperfections.

Thank you @dcdrive for making this happen.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just got mine installed, took over a little over an hour to do.

Some quick feedback and I'll do a longer review with some more driving.
Appreciate detailed write up, and it seems you've got same exact improvement like I did.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Oh man this sounds so good for daily driving. What about the lowered driving position, does it still feel like a crossover or does it become a sedan? [And I guess this is not what you'd want on dirt roads and mild offroading but that's a different issue.]

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Oh man this sounds so good for daily driving. What about the lowered driving position, does it still feel like a crossover or does it become a sedan? [And I guess this is not what you'd want on dirt roads and mild offroading but that's a different issue.]
It's much more sedan. I just did 65 miles of hard driving, in small canyons.
It's very different on the twisty roads, doesn't hop as much when it's bumpy and curvy.

It wouldn't work for you because you need that extra height for your off roading excursions.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
It's much more sedan. I just did 65 miles of hard driving, in small canyons.
It's very different on the twisty roads, doesn't hop as much when it's bumpy and curvy.

It wouldn't work for you because you need that extra height for your off roading excursions.
I guess I need to buy a second I-Pace :LOL:
[wish I could haha]

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Good tip.
I had to turn off, open the door, then hold the down button till it won't go lower

It looks extremely aggressive when it's slammed. I love it

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That's about how it should come from the factory, isn't it ?
No, there is almost no wheel gap like this. Muscle memory kicked in for the door handle location and I had to drop my hand a bit

Without access height
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Access height

You can see it's much lower in access height

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't understand the access height thing. It seems to me that it's easier to get in and out when the car is higher, not lower. Hence all the crossover/SUV popularity.
I often carry bikes on the roof. I've found access height is super useful for getting the bikes on/off... that, and the car looks better when parked (imo). Ingress/egress? What can I say but good point!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't think I've ever wanted a car of mine to be lower. I always want them raised. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finally got around to installing mine several days ago. For sure, the car drives more like I think it should - meaning that it doesn't toss around wildly on undulating pavement. Is it life-changing? No. But better, yes. Now I don't have to put it in dynamic mode to just run errands. Like PS702 said, probably about a 60% improvement on its swaying back & forth. Better small bump compliance, and also better over large speed bumps. Thanks DC for making this happen!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quick follow-up, now that I've been driving with DC's links for a bit. I've come to realize that I'm finding myself rarely annoyed by the car's suspension any more. That might not sound like much, but really, it's huge. Every single day, the I-Pace's suspension would do something to irk me. Now it rarely does, which makes driving the car so much more pleasant. Nowadays, its suspension behaves more like that of a sport sedan, and I can happily live with that. Put the car in dynamic mode, and wow! Now it corners almost flat. Handling has become what I'd hoped it could be when I want to drive aggressively. It's very willing to change direction, and handles high speed sweepers without inducing fear. As a bonus, because I often carry bikes on the roof, lowering the car to "access" height makes it even easier to get at the bikes! At this point, I can't imagine going back to the stock links. :cool:

41 - 60 of 74 Posts