Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in a complainers camp due to stiff yet bouncy handling, and it was probably the only major issue I can name for the whole car.
Thinking that if it's already stiff, lowering will not make it much worse, but lower center of gravity may improve side-to-side oscillations, I gave it a shot with custom 3D-printed height sensor links. What happened next was truly unbelievable - the car handles like a dream ! Not only lower CG improved all handling and decreased acceleration pitch, but the suspension got softer against bumps and roughnesses as well. That was so unexpected that I went back to stock links to reconfirm, and there's no mistake - much better bump absorption yet more stable at the same time.

Drop is about 1.25" front, 1.5" rear.
Upgraded link size - 80 mm front, 60 mm rear (against 70 mm stock all around)

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I was in a complainers camp due to stiff yet bouncy handling, and it was probably the only major issue I can name for the whole car.
Thinking that if it's already stiff, lowering will not make it much worse, but lower center of gravity may improve side-to-side oscillations, I gave it a shot with custom 3D-printed height sensor links. What happened next was truly unbelievable - the car handles like a dream ! Not only lower CG improved all handling and decreased acceleration pitch, but the suspension got softer against bumps and roughnesses as well. That was so unexpected that I went back to stock links to reconfirm, and there's no mistake - much better bump absorption yet more stable at the same time.

View attachment 5665
View attachment 5666
View attachment 5667

Drop is about 1.25" front, 1.5" rear.
Upgraded link size - 80 mm front, 60 mm rear (against 70 mm stock all around)
This sounds Great! Can you provide any info. on how I could get a set of these "height sensor links" made to the spec. that you used? Did you get them from a vendor? Can you provide the spec. on them? Thanks again for weighing in on this! I am sure you are helping more folks that just me.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds Great! Can you provide any info. on how I could get a set of these "height sensor links" made to the spec. that you used? Did you get them from a vendor? Can you provide the spec. on them? Thanks again for weighing in on this! I am sure you are helping more folks that just me.
Like I said, I custom-designed and 3D-printed them, based on factory part dimensions.
PM me your phone/email, I can ship you a set.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Am I to assume these are the links that are attached to the air springs?
Therefore wouldn't fit to a car without air suspension?

I also hate the bounciness (one of my only two gripes, the other being the seat), but it seems that without air suspension, my options are limited.

Maybe lower springs would be another option, I think there's a thread somewhere about a group order for custom made ones. But I'm guessing it won't be cheap and results will be unknown. Whereas your solution is very cheap and tested (even if by just one person).

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I to assume these are the links that are attached to the air springs?
Therefore wouldn't fit to a car without air suspension?
Correct
Maybe lower springs would be another option, I think there's a thread somewhere about a group order for custom made ones. But I'm guessing it won't be cheap and results will be unknown. Whereas your solution is very cheap and tested (even if by just one person).
If you guys manage to get this, it will probably be better option, as replacing springs is much more straightforward and predictable than tricking sensors.
I'm driving for over a week now, all great, but potential long term effects are yet to be observed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
dcdrive, are those link lengths you quoted correct? It seems odd to me that shortening the rear link to 60mm and lengthening the front links to 80mm, can lower the ride height of both ends of the car.

BTW those links look very well designed and constructed, I will be interested in your opinion after some varied test drives.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: PS702 and symos

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dcdrive, are those link lengths you quoted correct? It seems odd to me that shortening the rear link to 60mm and lengthening the front links to 80mm, can lower the ride height of both ends of the car.

BTW those links look very well designed and constructed, I will be interested in your opinion after some varied test drives.

Cheers, Steve
Those are the lengths I'm currently using, the stance in normal mode is as pictured.
Front and rear sensors are mounted in reverse orientation against respective suspension arms, hence adjustments go in opposite directions.
\BTW, you can rise it just by flipping short/long links. (I wouldn't go that much up though)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense for me now.

These customised links used on Range Rovers are often known as "Johnson Rods" to raise the vehicles for heavy duty off road use.

Google "ride height links range rover"

I had some custom ones, made with 3 eyes i.e. with 2 on one end, for standard height and modified ride height. So the user could just un-clip an re-clip to the alternate length without having to completely remove and replace the whole link.

Theoretically you could 3D print with multiple clips on each rod for raised, lowered and standard ride height, (4 eyes) o_O

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll add that Johnson Rods also sells lowering kits for full size RRs and RR Sports, so there is precedent for dropping an EAS equipped JLR vehicle. FWIW, the drop on those modified SUVs is 1.5 inches, so we are in the same ballpark here.

Good job DC! Really interested in further testing/discussion on this.

Reactions: PS702 and JDH

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The situation with I-Pace is that accessing rear ones is not easy even with the wheel removed. Front ones can be carefully re-clipped even on the road.
Otherwise nothing prevents from any custom shape or length.
I would only not go much shorter in the rear because of sensor placement geometry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Holy moly DC Drive! You have no idea how happy you've made me. Well, you probably do, since I have the same complaint! Will p.m. you soon.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A stove top, heat gun, clothes iron, or torch, a large nail, and a bit of pvc pipe can also accomplish this. I haven't bothered as I actually quite like the ride height. In fact, I want to lift my Model Y. Heck, I'd lift the i-Pace. I just don't want to go too far on the lift and somehow damage the system.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sure, exactly what your $90K high performance car deserves !
Hey, people get fast food in these cars. May as well go cheap! Also, no 3d printer here.

·
Super Moderator
2,667 Posts
I was completely clueless about how the car measures its stance but thanks to this thread I've learned a little. Also, I love the simplicity and elegance of the solution! This is one of my favorite threads ever :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, no 3d printer here.
You don't need to own a 3d printer. You can ask @dcdrive for the design files and then order them online (have them made and shipped to you). There are lots of services that do that. And that's assuming @dcdrive is not willing to sell you a set.

This is one of my favorite threads ever
This is my WORST thread ever!
(because I don't have air suspension and am now extremely jealous :p)

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is an intriguing thread indeed!
Could somebody explain (with more pictures, for instance) where these sensor links can be found? I looked (casually, I admit), did not spot anything like them...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts