Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 I Pace and I have had three separate incidents of sudden unintended acceleration days (or weeks) apart in different environments, circumstances, and drivers (my wife and I both).

Has anyone else experienced sudden unintended acceleration with their I Pace?

Thank you.
Yes I have! Just experienced it 4 days ago. I am in San Diego.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
I think everybody who claims to have experienced that issue should report on the following things:

1. Was your cruise control on?
2. Was it adaptive cruise control?
3. Did you change lanes?
4. Did another car ahead of you change lanes?
5. Did you press the accelerator?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
272 Posts
They probably are, but if the problem is a faulty position sensor then it unfortunately doesn’t help. Also unfortunate that cars aren’t required to have redundant systems and sensors for drive-by-wire technology.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks its suspicious that "Bill W" and "LuLu" have a combined total of 5 posts on this forum, all in this thread? Hmmmmmmm...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I haven't seen anything reported to the NHTSA. They would publicly announce an investigation on such a serious matter and I think JLR would have some sort of contact with owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Let me share my moderator-esque thoughts on this please.

Yes there are trolls. Yes there are cranks. But that does not mean that aren't legitimate observations on unexplained behavior of the car or the driver.

On the other hand, there is understandable skepticism when the purported cause of unintended acceleration is the car doing something freaky ... it's a fact that user error is much more likely.

Therefore: an account of unintended acceleration should be bolstered by some type of evidence, or at least some detailed narrative as to exactly how things unfolded. And it should (1) be written in clear English with no incomplete sentences, (2) avoid excessive use of innuendos, and (3) be specific about the facts.

HTH

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good points, Sciencegeek. I joined the FB I-Pace group and reported the many problems the car was having and was viciously attacked. One member of this forum defended me but the attacks continued so I left the group. I'd hate to see this happen to anybody.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 I Pace and I have had three separate incidents of sudden unintended acceleration days (or weeks) apart in different environments, circumstances, and drivers (my wife and I both).

Has anyone else experienced sudden unintended acceleration with their I Pace?

Thank you.
Have had 3 incidents of this recently. All while in comfort mode. Did not use cruise control or any form of assisted driving. Started recently. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I must admit that I'm somewhat with dtgsrq on this, but definitely understand sciencegeek's comments. We have yet another first time poster reporting this issue. We used to see it all the time on the Tesla forum. Someone would join, report an issue that virtually nobody had seen, and then disappear. Hit & run. Many of these were attributed to the short sellers trying desperately to give Tesla a bad name.

With that said, these reports should initially be looked at with sincerity, but it's also prudent to consider other possibilities for the post. I don't think any of the regular posters have mentioned this issue.

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned floor mats as a possible reason for a 'true' case of UA. That was the ultimate cause of many instances of verifiable UA in ICE vehicles. Yes, the original mats are highly unlikely to cause this given how small they are, but you never know what people put in their cars as aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am not paranoid, not am I naive. I am not a "Jaguar" fan. But there is definitely a pattern here. Why is it that no one with more than 1 or 2 posts, and only here, has this issue? A lot of us have a lot of hours on our cars, a widespread problem would have reports to safety boards. I will say it, I will stick my head out to be cut off. I smell ulterior motives here.

I think these posters are WAY too calm for having had sudden unintended acceleration happen once, much less three times. Trust me when I say this, if a car of mine had a sudden unintended acceleration ONCE it would be GONE. Its very much like unintended break failure. Life is too short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a new I-Pace (traded in an F-Pace) after years of owning other cars. I loved my F-Pace, and am excited about having an I-Pace (I did strongly consider the Model Y).

With that context, this thread bothers me. Most of you are wasting the OP time by suggesting possibilities that don't have any evidence backing them up other than past experience (such as with other dumb users). This is the definition of bias. Your beliefs based on other users are not evidence for what happened with this particular user. So far, I don't think anyone knows whether the OP is dumb or not.

Your past experience with past scenarios is only helpful when you have evidence to match it with in this scenario. So far no one has that kind of evidence, or can prove that floor mats were involved/the user hit the wrong pedal. These are assumptions. Assumptions aren't evidence and are not helpful.

My big concern is that no one seems to know if Jaguar is logging which pedals are pressed or acceleration. As a person who works in the software industry, logging is important because it helps provide evidence. Every bad software designer I've ever met uses assumptions and bias in dealing with issues rather than creating/reviewing logging. If Jaguar isn't logging this stuff, that is a sign of bad software design.

Tesla at least logs things like whether to user had their hand on the wheel in assessing autopilot failures. They use that to absolve themselves of responsibility for accidents involving AP.

Because of this post I'm paying even more attention to how I drive my I-Pace. I have a very tight parking situation (around tight corners) in my town home, I depend on vehicle creep and the brake to maneuver that situation. The I-Pace is the fourth vehicle I've parked here and have never had a crash. I'd hate to be a victim of sudden acceleration.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm sorry, but as a first time poster I think you could have been a bit less accusatory of other posters, but that's me. We could also reasonably claim the OP was wasting our time by not returning to discuss the resolution of the issue. At any rate welcome...I think. ;)

With many years of forum participation, not just in car forums, but in electronics forums, the phenomena of 'less than honest' 1st time complainers/posters is quite real. I've seen it countless times. A fist time poster (not you) comes to a forum, drops a bomb about some horrific issue with the product under discussion, and is never seen or heard from again. If you've participated in other forums to any great degree, you must have seen this behavior yourself.

In this case the OP has 2 posts relating to the same serious issue. In the subsequent 5 months he has never been heard from again. Why? Wouldn't you come back to discuss the resolution to the issue just out of common courtesy? Wouldn't you return to say the issue was handled (or wasn't handled) and how? To me this might smack of a typical 'hit & run' that I've seen repeated endlessly on other forums. Do I know that 100%? Of course not, but it certainly would make a reasonable person a bit suspicious. Skepticism is healthy, but yes, that doesn't mean ignoring a potentially serious issue.

As for Tesla, as a former MS owner, yes Tesla logs things like this, but there were always discussions as to how transparent and/or accurate Tesla was with those logs. So the presence of the logs is not necessarily indicative of an honest assessment of what actually happened. We can hope they are, but only Tesla knows 100%. Further, hit & runs were so common on Tesla forums that it was a running joke. The short sellers were rampant, trying to plant 'end of earth' horror stories and then never heard from again.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.