Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car stopped at the gate, then had been put it to reverse because it needed to move over as the gate opens only halfway. As the video shows the car was put in reverse and next thing I known I am being shot forward as the car suddenly accelerated forward and as it was unexpected the car swerves as i tried to take control of the car. With 2 young children in the car you can imagine the fear.

Anyone experienced any similar?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
900 Posts
I have not experienced this.

Observation: no brake pedal between reverse and drive. The car is not stopped between them. The car goes instantly from backing up to going forward.

This would lead an investigator to wonder if driver pushed go pedal instead of brake when changing between R and D.

The usual question of how much did the driver push the go pedal would be raised. Unfortunately, this cannot be answered since it wasn't recorded at the time.

And testing of the go pedal for any possibility of a faulty signal would be in order. For example, connect diagnostic tool and observe the go pedal reading(s) for % of being pressed. Observe for any spike that would indicate a defect.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Join date 4 hours ago, number of posts 1. The pattern repeats itself and mirrors the never-ending pattern we’d see over at the Tesla forum for ‘sudden unintended acceleration’. Just sayin.

Now assuming it’s legit, this looks like the behavior you might expect if the driver was on a bit of an incline (he is) and he lifted his foot a bit off the brake while in drive, allowing the car to drift backward and he then simply pushes the go pedal, perhaps a bit too hard.

IMO an unimpressive video that shows us little, other than likely ‘OE’ (operator error).

If the poster is legit, he’s obviously going to take it in to the dealer. I’m sure we’d all love to see the repair invoice as to the complaint and what was done. Gentlemen, I’m not holding my breath. If he does that, actually returns to post it here, I’ll be more than happy to apologize.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Join date 4 hours ago, number of posts 1. The pattern repeats itself and mirrors the never-ending pattern we’d see over at the Tesla forum for ‘sudden unintended acceleration’. Just sayin.

Now assuming it’s legit, this looks like the behavior you might expect if the driver was on a bit of an incline (he is) and he lifted his foot a bit off the brake while in drive, allowing the car to drift backward and he then simply pushes the go pedal, perhaps a bit too hard.

IMO an unimpressive video that shows us little, other than likely ‘OE’ (operator error).

If the poster is legit, he’s obviously going to take it in to the dealer. I’m sure we’d all love to see the repair invoice as to the complaint and what was done. Gentlemen, I’m not holding my breath. If he does that, actually returns to post it here, I’ll be more than happy to apologize.
The roll backwards while still in "drive" then the hitting the "go" pedal sending it forward was exactly what I was going to say. Maybe he noticed the backward drift and got startled and hit the "go" pedal. With all the torque in the I-Pace, you know exactly what will happen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've not had any experience like this. Sounds scary. As far as I understand the gear and brakes, on an upward slope and the car in reverse you must hold the brake on to prevent rolling backward. Similarly on a downward slope in drive the car will roll forward unless brake is held. Do you recall if you were on the brake when trying to stop the car and switched to reverse. Also curious if creep mode was on to account for backward movement when going to reverse or is there a significant slope. Trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
521 Posts

Managed to avoid the gate as well. Nice job.
Nothing to see here. Move on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also note that there are no comments from the poster on Youtube website about the incident. Agree we will more than likely never see them again.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
More interestingly doesn’t the OP say it was in reverse when it kept forward? I am pretty sure that would require a very large number of “faults” as the drivetrain would need to be “reversed.”

And the car definitely looks like it’s drifting backwards, as there is no “force moment” when the car initially starts rolling back.

·
Super Moderator
2,346 Posts
Totally agree. If anything, this video and the inconsistent description suggests user error and confusion. I'm sure it was scary though!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Totally agree. If anything, this video and the inconsistent description suggests user error and confusion. I'm sure it was scary though!
Only scary if it happened as the one-time poster claims. ;)

I admit to being more sensitive to hit & runs than I suspect most here. But having lived on the Tesla forums for 3 years it will do that to you. The short sellers were rampant with all kinds of claims of guaranteed disasters if you bought a Tesla...after all, it happened to all of them. :eek:

·
Registered
598 Posts
More interestingly doesn’t the OP say it was in reverse when it kept forward? I am pretty sure that would require a very large number of “faults” as the drivetrain would need to be “reversed.”

And the car definitely looks like it’s drifting backwards, as there is no “force moment” when the car initially starts rolling back.
Will the software hold in forward unless completely stopped? Or at least at some minimum speed?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Actually with creep mode off it won't hold forward unless you depress the brake pedal fully, coming to a stop from high regen won't hold you. Which may be why the car is rolling backwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts