Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, that’s intense and I’m very glad to hear you’ve come through relatively unscathed.

The ipace does seem to have some squirrelly behavior at the limits in unusual scenarios. The moose test video comes to mind, and even the way it can feel unsettled under normal driving when it hits a pothole in the middle of corner as many of us have noted here. As a software guy I would call these edge-case bugs, and evidence of perhaps rushed or inadequate testing, especially of a totally new platform.

Im very sorry this scenario had such a disastrous outcome for you but very relieved you came through it, and wish you the best in your recovery!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a bad outcome from a bad situation. I hope you heal quick. I have owned and driven for three years a front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive EV. Under regen all of them would momentarily go to zero regen when the tires would slip. The FWD Focus electric would “bunny hop” and was the most exciting when it happened. The rwd model 3 was more predictable. The I-pace seems the most benign so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a bad outcome from a bad situation. I hope you heal quick. I have owned and driven for three years a front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive EV. Under regen all of them would momentarily go to zero regen when the tires would slip. The FWD Focus electric would “bunny hop” and was the most exciting when it happened. The rwd model 3 was more predictable. The I-pace seems the most benign so far.
Ok, perhaps that rules out my theory then, thank you. It was a lexus driver who told me of the issue with regen, he said that it's quite a shock as it feels like complete brake fail on his vehicle.
I have no memory from when the car kicked up the rear on the sharp dip, until I was sailing through the air sideways towards the trees. There's 107 meters of my memory missing. There are no tyre marks on the road, nothing. I can't get my head round why in that distance I didnt scrub some, if not all of the speed off. On hitting the first tree, one headlight broke away from the car, it traveled a further 9 meters.
The attached image shows my marks on the verge, the slunk in the road is at the furthest road away point, as captured in the image
Hitting the wrong pedal like Tiger Woods, that simply didn't happen, if anything, being a stick shift driver most of the time, I would have went for the clutch pedal, which in this case would have been the brakes.
I'll probably never know, maybe I'd just left my brain at home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,147 Posts
Relieved to read that you were not totaled along with the car. You must have a hard head (a good thing) to break the break-resistant glass in the window and walk away with just a bruise. I trust you were checked for deeper injury and fortunately don't have a concussion, cracks in the cranium, etc.

What tyres were on the car? What size wheels? How many miles/kilometers on them?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, that is terrible to hear. When I had my BMW i3 I found the regen to be very unpredictable in the snow. I would be slowing down to pull into the driveway and at the last second the car might slide a bit resulting in it turning off the regen completely. Since I was used to one-pedal driving, having to suddenly stab the brakes was always a bit alarming.

So what I am saying is that if the iPace lost traction which resulted in loss of regen I am not surprised that you left the road. That is one area of this new technology that we are all learning rather slowly as it enters the picture so rarely.

There is precious little room for error on your roads too by the look of the photos.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Relieved to read that you were not totaled along with the car. You must have a hard head (a good thing) to break the break-resistant glass in the window and walk away with just a bruise. I trust you were checked for deeper injury and fortunately don't have a concussion, cracks in the cranium, etc.

What tyres were on the car? What size wheels? How many miles/kilometers on them?
The car was on it's original tyres and rims, were they 18 inch. The car had completed 15k miles. I was surprised how much tread there was left on them, considering the mileage.
Yes checked out in the hospital, and x rays. I think they decided that I had no concussion on the grounds that I'd probably left my brain at home before the journey lol.
All joking aside, I didn't realize I was knocked out, it was near a week before I realized lots of bits were missing from my memory.
Wild tired since, even though it was too weeks ago, but it was a very sudden stop, for a 58 year old body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, I had an issue where I felt that I couldn't hold the I pace at a steady speed, it felt like it sped up if I hit a pothole.
The following evening I accelerated on a country road, and when I tried to slow, it initially slowed, but as I went over a cast manhole, it seemed to speed up, there was a sharp dip, I lost control, went off the an elevated road some 15 ft up, into a forest, I hit several trees and ended up, upside down. The cars a total loss.
View attachment 5583
Hi Rob I posted “Near disaster”! It’s been 9 weeks since then and we r still pursuing the cause. The Black Box has been removed and had to go to England JLR to b deciphered. I’m in Sydney Australia. It’s been up to us totally to follow up and the only real feed back has come from the accredited Jaguar assessor who experienced the car jumping forward aggressively the first time he started it but couldn’t find any reason for it. The lack of control was totally traumatic as I’m sure you understand. I would never get behind that wheel again but have to follow it through as I honestly couldn’t sell it on without knowing what caused the accident and repairing it. The only upside for both of us but especially you is the cabin safety. Yours was a dreadful accident and since when has driving become so complicated? Stay safe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Apparently it’s the data not the whole Black Box that’s with Jaguar
Leslie, Im struggling to navigate the forum. To read up on your story. I wonder would you mind emailing me with the outcome of the black box review.
I asked JLR about having mine read, they said it would be up to the insurers to ask for that, but they went on to say that that only happened when there was a fatality.
I'm sure I could push it through the police, but if all it proves is that the car accelerated and crashed, then I could be looking at a driving ban for dangerous driving, which puts me off pursuing that feedback.
I'm involved with motorsport, I've a mk1 legacy, I'm now fairly petrified of driving it, this ones been a life changer.
If it's against the group rules then please ignore my email address. [email protected].
I've found a few more photos, the front wheel was taken of the ball joint, I can't imagine this all happened at 30mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't imagine this all happened at 30mph.
I meant to say, when I looked at the previous pictures, in my mind the picture of such a small road did not go together with the speed I would expect is required for such a serious accident.
So I thought, was he speeding? And if so, how much?

But you say that, as far as you remember, you were doing 30mph? I mean in general, I know you don't remember the exact moment of the accident.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had a Lexus Rx450h prior to the space and did notice the brake issue when a wheel slipped, or hit a pothole. It would feel like the car is accelerating, but that is an illusion as my brain is expecting a deceleration, so even reducing the braking feels like an acceleration. I thought it was due to the anti-locks kicking in and you'd get that in all cars to some degree (I forget if I ever got that in a non-hybrid).

BTW, stomping the brakes is the correct act as the anti-locks actually prevent the wheels from locking, so you still get maximum control, even if that maximum control is insufficient.

Glad you walked away from this one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Leslie, Im struggling to navigate the forum. To read up on your story. I wonder would you mind emailing me with the outcome of the black box review.
I asked JLR about having mine read, they said it would be up to the insurers to ask for that, but they went on to say that that only happened when there was a fatality.
I'm sure I could push it through the police, but if all it proves is that the car accelerated and crashed, then I could be looking at a driving ban for dangerous driving, which puts me off pursuing that feedback.
I'm involved with motorsport, I've a mk1 legacy, I'm now fairly petrified of driving it, this ones been a life changer.
If it's against the group rules then please ignore my email address. [email protected].
I've found a few more photos, the front wheel was taken of the ball joint, I can't imagine this all happened at 30mph.
Rob if you click on “L” and then “Quote” my first post should come up I think?!!! I can’t believe what you went through. It definitely plays on your mind. I’ve bought a new car (Audi A4) and hope I can settle down. Such a shame isn’t it? Keep on with the Insurer. Ours said unless they get answers they would refuse to insure the IPace in the future! Big call we will post the Data results if and when we get them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts