Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 instances that relate to sudden acceleration. 2nd ne resulted in accident, luckily no injuries except to vehicles.
1) stopped at bottom of hill when car attempted to accelerate. Braked suddenly and car reacted so violently that wife and i thought we were rear ended. No damage.
2) entering head on parking space in creep mode when sudden acceleration enough to force car on to raised landscape divider and into two vehicles parked back onto other side. The divider had significant shrubbery and yet no collision avoidance and no air bag deployment. Has anyone had similar experience?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only people who have reported similar experiences also showed up here with no previous posts, posted the same thing, then were never heard from again...

Not to be a jerk (well, OK a little to be a jerk) I am looking at your post with a very jaundiced eye. I doubt that JRL has to deal with shorts dealing FUD the same way Tesla does, but this smells pretty similar.

In the event that you're a legitimate poster, the answer is that you pushed the wrong pedal. It's easier to do in an EV with their ability to "brake" on the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
The only people who have reported similar experiences also showed up here with no previous posts, posted the same thing, then were never heard from again...

Not to be a jerk (well, OK a little to be a jerk) I am looking at your post with a very jaundiced eye. I doubt that JRL has to deal with shorts dealing FUD the same way Tesla does, but this smells pretty similar.

In the event that you're a legitimate poster, the answer is that you pushed the wrong pedal. It's easier to do in an EV with their ability to "brake" on the accelerator pedal.
AGREED.
As a new member 6 months ago, I showed the courtesy of offering a "new member" posting to say "hello". I assume politeness and friendliness are now a thing of the past.

Without assuming the op is not legit, I would suggest that at least from my perspective, a call to an attorney, and perhaps the local media would be my first steps - rather than a semi anonymous gripe on an owner's forum.

Either way legit or not this says a lot about current society. The internet provides a means for expression that I sometimes feel we are not mature enough use.

·
Registered
600 Posts
2 instances that relate to sudden acceleration. 2nd ne resulted in accident, luckily no injuries except to vehicles.
1) stopped at bottom of hill when car attempted to accelerate. Braked suddenly and car reacted so violently that wife and i thought we were rear ended. No damage.
2) entering head on parking space in creep mode when sudden acceleration enough to force car on to raised landscape divider and into two vehicles parked back onto other side. The divider had significant shrubbery and yet no collision avoidance and no air bag deployment. Has anyone had similar experience?
Mounds of salt on this post.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Looks like FUD spreading to me.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
827 Posts
Assuming these events happened:

- event 1 - I can see a potential driver caused event here. The car does have the capability of high horsepower from the moment of touching the go pedal unlike most ICE vehicles that needs a moment to start putting out the HP. A new-to-EV driver may push the go pedal like an ICE vehicle and suddenly find themselves accelerating more rapid than expected. Follow that with an instinctive braking and it will stop very quickly by engaging the regenerative braking and physical brakes.

- event 2 was too low of speed to trigger collision avoidance braking or air bag deployment. There would certainly be damage to the car's front bumper components and front suspension (alignment at the minimum). Police report? Pictures? See also event 1 for acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
No attempt to mislead. I love my i pace. Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experience, from a safety point of view. I didn't want to blame the car without considering driver error. The thing that troubles me is the fact that i always use creep mode when parking, to avoid driver error. By the way, i have the last 35 or more years without so much as a parking ticket.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No attempt to mislead. I love my i pace. Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experience, from a safety point of view. I didn't want to blame the car without considering driver error. The thing that troubles me is the fact that i always use creep mode when parking, to avoid driver error. By the way, i have the last 35 or more years without so much as a parking ticket.
Electric cars tend to get SUA reports (sudden unintended acceleration) due to how the powertrain works. One Pedal Driving is something alien to most drivers. I always suggest to drivers who are new to EVs to set their cars to Minimum Regen, Creep On.

Not sure if you remember when ABS hit the scene, but there were many SUA reports at first blaming the braking modulator. What was happening is that instead of locking up a wheel(s) and making a screeching noise as the car pulled to one side, the car would go straight and stop slowly. The stopping distances were usually the same. ABS can't create traction where there is none.

I have one of the early I-Paces in the US. I have driven it like I do my other performance cars, both on closed courses, and on public roads. The accelerator always functioned correctly. However, I've been driving electric cars since 2012. I have multiple competition licenses.

NOW... For my Christine story. One of my cars was yet to be named as of the spring of 2017. It has Adaptive Cruise Control, that is, it has radar controlled throttle and braking. I was driving the four of us from Goleta, CA to Solvang, CA for some sightseeing and shopping. I was on the freeway and set the ACC at 75 mph, and just followed the traffic. I turned off onto the road to Solvang, and it was slow going down a 2-lane winding road, so I let the ACC do the pedal work. Beautiful day, having a grand old time. The car right in front of me was driving particularly slow. Then the front car slowed even more, and pulled off into a parking lot and ...
ZOOM! My car took off without me! The ACC was still set to 75 mph, I was going 20 mph, and it decided that was way too slow. I was distracted with conversation when this occurred, so my reaction time wasn't what it should have been. Everyone in the car yelled at me to slow down, and I told them it wasn't me doing it. HONEST!

So that is why the light blue car is named Christine, from the Stephen King novel about a possessed homicidal deathmobile.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was not the original SUA poster (he backed through the end of his garage and totaled his car, I was the one that never came back and posted on the forum as I felt the responses were not helpful. We had three separate SUA events over two months and went to the dealer each time. I were to far as to contact our insurer who state they would cover us in the event of an accident and then pursue JLR.

My wife and I have been driving every type of car made all over the world for over fifty years each and to say it was driver error three times did not seem well thought out tp me, just like saying it was FUD and we went away. We went away as we did not find the forum of any help to us.

We contacted a lawyer in CA, we live north of LA, but the Lemon Law does not apply as the dealer could not find a problem to fix. Of course, the local dealer said JLR has never heard of this problem before but you are now at least the THIRD POSTED ON JUST THIS FORUM TO COMPLAIN OF SUA.

We took our car to another dealer thirty miles away who has had the car for a month now and, hopefully, is seeing what they can determine. In any event, we will never drive the car again. Not only do we not feel safe in it, what is our liability if we run over a pedestrian, smash into a smaller car critically injuring the occupants, and so on?

If you would like to contact me, please feel free to do so. I am nothing more than a consumer who happened to buy a Jag for once in his life and am very unhappy wiht the service we got from our local dealer and JLR. We do not know what we are going to replace the I-Pace with but from the support we got and the price we paid it will not be a JLR product. My car is an Acura RLX SH-AWD Hybrid which i love driving and i have over 20K miles on it. No issues with the car and I love it. I drove it from Santa Fe to Santa Barbara in one day with no fatigue on me or the car.

Anyway, please let me know if you want to know about our experiences with the car, support, and where we are in the process.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
Ok let me just suggest a path forward here.

For those who'd like to report on SUA events:

One more post without an explicit statement about whether any sort of cruise control was on during the event and I will lock this thread. If you don't remember whether cruise control was on, do not post to this thread. If you do remember for a fact that no cruise control was on, please post an exhaustively detailed account of the circumstances. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok let me just suggest a path forward here.

For those who'd like to report on SUA events:

One more post without an explicit statement about whether any sort of cruise control was on during the event and I will lock this thread. If you don't remember whether cruise control was on, do not post to this thread. If you do remember for a fact that no cruise control was on, please post an exhaustively detailed account of the circumstances. Thank you.
I did not realize you wanted this information.
Adaptive Cruise Control was OFF
Creep Mode was OFF
Everything (options) was OFF

In two of our situations we were going before 5 mph into a parking spot; one at a public parking lot and the other into our home garage. In both cases a slight amount fo pressure was placed on the accelerator pedal and the car reacted as though the pedal had been fully depressed and lunged forward at full speed.

In the third incident, I was coasting downhill with my foot off the brake (& accelerator) at 40mpg (again no ACC, no Creep mode) and when I was approaching the intersection with a stopped car ahead of us the car accelerated and did not respond to the brake pedal. I was literally standing on the brake pedal thinking, "This is great, I am going to total this car that is not a week old and I am about to hit a car doing over 40mph." At the last second the brakes took hold and the car stopped. Scared ten years of life out of me.

Jon

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
827 Posts
Had cruise control been used at any time between starting up the car and the incident?

Part of that last response has me thinking that the dealer should investigate the electronics associated with the brake pedal (e.g. a fault brake pedal switch). I'm reminded of another brand of vehicles having several issues of bad brake pedal switches in the early 2000s. Many instances of brake lights on always or off always and cruise control not working or disengaging were symptoms. It took them a couple of recalls to get a reliable switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had cruise control been used at any time between starting up the car and the incident?

Part of that last response has me thinking that the dealer should investigate the electronics associated with the brake pedal (e.g. a fault brake pedal switch). I'm reminded of another brand of vehicles having several issues of bad brake pedal switches in the early 2000s. Many instances of brake lights on always or off always and cruise control not working or disengaging were symptoms. It took them a couple of recalls to get a reliable switch.
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. THE CAR IS STILL IN FOR BODY REPAIR AND I HAVE DISCUSSED WITH SERVICE DEPT A CAREFUL EVALUATION FOR ANY POSSIBLE CAUSES.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts