Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
547 Posts
...... about 2 hours ago (yes in the middle of the night) I tried the JLR 120v charger, no charge. Then reconnected the brand new ChargePoint charger, no charge. Now, after about two hours on the ChargePoint it is still initializing.
One of the main lessons of your story is that the 12v batteries are a super critical part of the whole system. It would is seem that having a larger higher voltage battery would mean that the smaller 12v batteries are only relaying energy, but it would appear that these 12v batteries are very sensitive important parts of the equation.
Your story suggests that the 12v batteries really enable the control of the other systems including charging and use of the main battery. Thus, if the 12v battery goes bad, or the battery is not charging from the main traction battery then things go haywire.
Hopefully your problems are no more than charging the 12v battery during routine operation. Your main battery seems good so while this is an annoying problem, once diagnosed and fixed you will be go to go and have a fun car to drive.
Good luck and keep posting to help educate the rest of us.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Most likely it is the same. If the module that was replaced was at the end of the harness it is the same as what my technician referred to as the BEM. Looks like I lost my $1 bet. Your luck is going to turn for the better soon. Thanks for all the updates. I am sure we are all looking for the final chapter of this story.
I'll sure keep you all posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
One of the main lessons of your story is that the 12v batteries are a super critical part of the whole system. It would is seem that having a larger higher voltage battery would mean that the smaller 12v batteries are only relaying energy, but it would appear that these 12v batteries are very sensitive important parts of the equation.
Your story suggests that the 12v batteries really enable the control of the other systems including charging and use of the main battery. Thus, if the 12v battery goes bad, or the battery is not charging from the main traction battery then things go haywire.
Hopefully your problems are no more than charging the 12v battery during routine operation. Your main battery seems good so while this is an annoying problem, once diagnosed and fixed you will be go to go and have a fun car to drive.
Good luck and keep posting to help educate the rest of us.
It appears that the defective 12v starting battery was a problem... but not THE problem causing endless initialization as evidenced by the fact that the malfunction persists even with a new 12v starting battery. As far as it goes JLR is now not even sure how much of a problem the defective 12v battery was causing other than generating a code indicating substandard output. Any problems potentially caused by this battery may not have even been apparent until later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
In talking to the service writer and one of the technicians on Saturday morning, they are coming to the conclusion that there is more than one problem. It was never certain the the BCCM (BEM?) or the cable assembly were defective. They were replaced anyway. It WAS apparent that the charge port was an issue (twice) and the 12v starter battery was defective. Both were replaced without resolving the endless initialization issue. So... the problem persists. The car will not charge about 95% of the time. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason to when it WILL charge... except after a total system shutdown to effect another repair. After which it will fully charge once, maybe twice before it malfunctions again. Hopefully with all the work that has been done, it is now hoped that at the very least troubleshooting will be more straight forward. However, it seems that the obvious avenues of resolution have been traveled. They (we) are now scratching our heads. In a nutshell, this is the state of this issue currently. I just want to add again that our local Colorado Springs JLR dealer is doing what I believe they can do. However, I still have not seen on one of my many visits, the coffee and maple iced donuts with bacon sprinkles as requested...🍩

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
547 Posts
Is it possible the 12v battery is not recharging from the main battery efficiently? Much of the electronics are fired up by the smaller battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Is it possible the 12v battery is not recharging from the main battery efficiently? Much of the electronics are fired up by the smaller battery.
Good question... JLR has addressed this possibility. They feel that the 12v startup battery is being charged as it should and the problem with the last battery was simply that it was defective and would not accept a charge. Also, if I understand them correctly, part of the job of the BCCM is to charge this battery from the system batteries and this module is new as of two or three weeks ago as part of the effort to address this possibility.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I appreciate the comments and questions in this thread. I have been forwarding these to the JLR folks and they are listening. I think it only fair to say that for our local JLR service techs these electric cars are as new to them as they are to us. Having said that, we have to believe that they have the training they need from JLR corporate to support these new technologies... but the operative words here are; "new technologies". They have a learning curve to work through. Admittedly though, I wish I were not at the apex of this curve... I am still pleased with the effort these guys at Colorado Springs JLR are expending to see that we have the good experience they wish for us.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Let's not confuse BECM with BCCM. They are separate.

Ask dealer if they investigated this:

Hopefully the answer is yes they have.
I asked that question earlier in this thread and was told that they were the same thing. So, I have a new question for JLR tomorrow (Monday) as to the function of the BCCM and the BECM. The BCCM has been replaced. I do not know if the BECM has been investigated. So, what does the BECM do? And is it functioning as it should? Thanks for that clarification Ayepace!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I asked that question earlier in this thread and was told that they were the same thing. So, I have a new question for JLR tomorrow (Monday) as to the function of the BCCM and the BECM. The BCCM has been replaced. I do not know if the BECM has been investigated. So, what does the BECM do? And is it functioning as it should? Thanks for that clarification Ayepace!
I have forwarded MC-10178140-0001.pdf to JLR Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
JLR just called, 5:05pm. They have no information for us on our car. I believe they are stumped at this point. But... they do have a loaner for us! We are picking that up tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
Haha nice. I hope it's a good loaner. I had to drive a Velar for three months ... which was a great boat and I enjoyed it as a travel car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Picked up the loaner today. While there I had another conversation with the service manager, he indicated that the engineers at Jaguar now want the BCCM replaced. Well, according to what I read on a previous work order I believed that the BCCM had already been replaced. They checked past work orders and according to what they have recorded, the BCCM was reprogrammed, not replaced. So.... NOW we are getting a new Battery Charge Control Module. sigh. At least my wife is now driving a new Range Rover Evoque until they get the i-Pace back on the road. For those of you trying to glean some sense out of this, I apologize for my error.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Picked up the loaner today. While there I had another conversation with the service manager, he indicated that the engineers at Jaguar now want the BCCM replaced. Well, according to what I read on a previous work order I believed that the BCCM had already been replaced. They checked past work orders and according to what they have recorded, the BCCM was reprogrammed, not replaced. So.... NOW we are getting a new Battery Charge Control Module. sigh. At least my wife is now driving a new Range Rover Evoque until they get the i-Pace back on the road. For those of you trying to glean some sense out of this, I apologize for my error.
Looks like that $1 bet I placed 4 days ago may pay off after all. I am still surprised it took this long to replace the BCCM, since in the early going Jaguar often replaced the charging socket, harness, and BCCM as a complete assembly and was successful in correcting almost all charging issues. I have a good feeling about this repair. Keep posting!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
JLR just called to let me know that the BCCM is back ordered. There are none in this country.... so it's coming from the UK. No ETA on the part yet. They gave us a nice loaner! ;) We're ok, they're working it as good as they can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds so much like my experience with my I-Pace. Currently in shop for 4th time with the same initialization issue. Mine has been in for almost 2 weeks with little communication from dealer. I appreciate how patient and positive you’ve been. I’m far more frustrated given the price point of the vehicle and the fact that this issue renders the car a) inoperable and b) I’ve lost trust in the vehicle, the brand and the dealer. Each time I’ve picked up the car they reassure me that the problem is resolved...well maybe for a few weeks. Anyhow can you say Tesla envy?!?!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I sure can appreciate your frustration. We were told today that they will have the BCCM tomorrow. It requires a "level 1" tech to install the part. The level 1 tech won't be available till Monday. The repair will take 2 days.... so, we are to expect the car back in the later half of next week. As for "can I say Tesla"? Tesla has had their fair share of quality issues and the nearest repair facility is 80 miles away. Also, their customer service has been widely reported as not too darn good. Having said that, in spite of the issues we've had with our i-Pace, the Colorado Springs JLR dealer service department has done what they can. After this repair, if the problem is not resolved, we find ourselves firmly in lemon law territory according to Colorado and Federal law. We truly do like the car, charge issue not withstanding. Let's hope the problem is resolved with the replacement of the BCCM.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts