Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update: We got our i-Pace back from the dealer yesterday. It looks good so far. There were some software updates as well as the new charge port and cables. The car used to charge to about 230 miles, now it charges to just over 250 miles thanks to one of the updates. The point of this whole thing however.... is that it now charges consistently and predictably. Yay!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: Here we go again. It charged once successfully, the day we brought it home. Now after a week of my wife driving it back and forth to work, I put it on the charger this morning. And it won't charge. Exactly the same problem as before this last repair. The car is back at JLR. They were able to duplicate the problem. So, a new repair ticket is open.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
Update: Here we go again. It charged once successfully, the day we brought it home. Now after a week of my wife driving it back and forth to work, I put it on the charger this morning. And it won't charge. Exactly the same problem as before this last repair. The car is back at JLR. They were able to duplicate the problem. So, a new repair ticket is open.
OH NO!!! I am so, so sorry. Please keep us posted. So disheartening to hear stories like this about the I-Pace.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I sure will.
Update: Monday afternoon, JLR called us to verify that they were indeed able to duplicate the inability to charge (endless initialization). This after replacing the charge port and cable assembly a couple weeks ago for the same issue. Now, the car has displayed an error indicating that the "12v startup battery" had low voltage. (Didn't know there was such a thing.) Supposedly this can cause the vehicle to endlessly initialize, rather than charge. Upon testing the battery, JLR did find that the battery was low voltage and insufficient current. They are replacing it. They say we may be able to pick the car up tomorrow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OH NO!!! I am so, so sorry. Please keep us posted. So disheartening to hear stories like this about the I-Pace.
Update: Monday afternoon, JLR called us to verify that they were indeed able to duplicate the inability to charge (endless initialization). This after replacing the charge port and cable assembly a couple weeks ago for the same issue. Now, the car has displayed an error indicating that the "12v startup battery" had low voltage. (Didn't know there was such a thing.) Supposedly this can cause the vehicle to endlessly initialize, rather than charge. Upon testing the battery, JLR did find that the battery was low voltage and insufficient current. They are replacing it. They say we may be able to pick the car up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
903 Posts
Ask them: Did they identify a root cause of the low voltage? Bad battery or the system not charging the battery?

Yes there are two 12V batteries in the car. This has been covered in other posts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ask them: Did they identify a root cause of the low voltage? Bad battery or the system not charging the battery?

Yes there are two 12V batteries in the car. This has been covered in other posts.
I will ask them those questions... as well as, for people like us, where the car gets driven a short distance everyday and therefore only needs to be charged once a week or less; is this a problem for this startup battery preconditioning the car for 7, 8, or 9 days without being charged?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update: JLR has called to let us know the I-Pace is ready to pick up. They replaced one of two 12 volt AGM lead acid batteries, the one referred to as the "startup" battery. It was defective. They tell us that our many precondition cycles between charges are not of any concern, as once the system batteries are online they act as an alternator and recharge the startup battery. They tell us that the other AGM battery runs the air conditioning system and is recharged the same way. So... we'll have the car home in a couple hours. I'll keep you posted over the next month as to how it goes with charging.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update: JLR has called to let us know the I-Pace is ready to pick up. They replaced one of two 12 volt AGM lead acid batteries, the one referred to as the "startup" battery. It was defective. They tell us that our many precondition cycles between charges are not of any concern, as once the system batteries are online they act as an alternator and recharge the startup battery. They tell us that the other AGM battery runs the air conditioning system and is recharged the same way. So... we'll have the car home in a couple hours. I'll keep you posted over the next month as to how it goes with charging.
The car is home. It charged successfully the first time, no issues. Here is the crux of what the repair ticket indicated:
8372 performed diagnosis of charging concern, retrieved DTCS relevant DTC POB33-53 during monitoring and testing of components found 12 volt system fault, test start up and auxiliary batteries, start battery failed load test causing charging initialization fault. Replaced start up battery, read and clear DTCS, retest system. Charging system normal after repairs.

Just want to say again that our Colorado Springs JLR has been great in trying to deal with this frustrating issue. Let's hope we're there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So glad that was solved! There seem to be many manifestations of a bad 12V battery ...
Yes, there are. The list of possible error codes related to the 12v start up battery is long. With all the problem we have had with this issue, I want to get a couple months of successful charging behind us before we venture too far from home with this car. Then I will call it solved!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Update: 3 days of driving back and forth to work. We even installed a brand new ChargePoint charger this week. The charger was a slight upgrade from the 32amp model to 40/50 amp model. The car will not charge. It is doing exactly the same thing. It goes back to JLR tomorrow. Anyone want to buy a nice red 2019 i-Pace First Edition with 8300 miles?

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
Oh my. I'm so sorry. I really hope they figure it out. Did you buy new and what are the lemon laws in your state?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh my. I'm so sorry. I really hope they figure it out. Did you buy new and what are the lemon laws in your state?
We bought it used with 4000 miles. There are no lemon laws in Colorado covering used vehicles. There are federal laws, though we are not sure at this point how applicable they are. We are looking into it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sounds like the next step....
Actually, looking back at the previous repair paperwork, when JLR replaced the charge port for the second time (along with a cable assembly) they also replaced the BCCM (Battery Charger Control Module). Is this the same as what Photon2.0eV is calling the BEM?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was again asked (outside of this forum) about charge scheduling. We checked again; the ChargePoint app has scheduling disabled. It worked fine this way in the past without issues. The Jaguar app is defaulted to 00:00 to 23:45 as it has always been when the car was charging as it should, so basically there is no priority scheduling in the Jaguar app. And, again, about 2 hours ago (yes in the middle of the night) I tried the JLR 120v charger, no charge. Then reconnected the brand new ChargePoint charger, no charge. Now, after about two hours on the ChargePoint it is still initializing. The JLR service dept. opens at 8am this morning. I sent them an email yesterday. I ordered coffee and maple iced donuts with bacon sprinkles....

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Actually, looking back at the previous repair paperwork, when JLR replaced the charge port for the second time (along with a cable assembly) they also replaced the BCCM (Battery Charger Control Module). Is this the same as what Photon2.0eV is calling the BEM?
Most likely it is the same. If the module that was replaced was at the end of the harness it is the same as what my technician referred to as the BEM. Looks like I lost my $1 bet. Your luck is going to turn for the better soon. Thanks for all the updates. I am sure we are all looking for the final chapter of this story.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts