Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum hoping to find a solution to our charge problem with a 2019 i-Pace First Edition. I'm not finding answers... I am seeing however that I am not alone. Our i-pace has only 8000 miles on it and I'm beginning to think maybe I should have given a little more thought to buying an electric car from the "prince of darkness". It's too late now...

A little background, we had new 200 amp service installed at our home prior to the i-pace purchase with a dedicated 50 amp circuit in the garage with a 6-50 outlet for the Charge Point 32amp charger to be plugged into. We bought the 2019 i-Pace First Edition used with 4000 miles for a very good price. (That should have been our first red flag). We've had a few charge glitches where the car would not start charging or would stop for no apparent reason, just to be in an "Initializing" state. A couple weeks ago this problem suddenly worsened to the point that we cannot charge at all. First, the Charge Point (Level 2) would not charge, Initializing only. But the 110 volt charger that came with the car worked over that night. The next morning we disconnected the 110 volt charger for about 30 minutes and then reconnected it.... and now it did the same thing as the Level 2 charger. Took the car to Jaguar, they could not duplicate the issue, were able to charge it. We took the car home only be in the same state. We cannot charge. I took it back to Jaguar and they kept it over night and low and behold they were now not able to charge it either, experiencing the same issue as we are. So, they installed some new software that presumably fixed the problem, and they were able to charge the car on Level 1, 2 and 3 chargers.

We picked the car up and drove it home. Of course we tested both of our chargers, the Charge Point and the 110 volt charger and the car is stuck initializing. We cannot charge!! We have tried all manner of sequences with doors closed and locked, unlocked, unplugging, restarting the charge cycle, nothing matters. There are no errors or faults from either charger.

It's going back to Jaguar today. We'll have to get a rental....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This issue with the broken locking pin in the charge port is a valid issue but unrelated to the people whose cars are stuck initializing the charge cycle. A broken locking pin will not even allow you to get that far...

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
900 Posts
Take your Chargepoint and JLR chargers with you to the dealer.
I don't know if the dealer will have an outlet to plug the Chargepoint in to. They should be able to plug in the JLR charger.
If the JLR charger fails there, then it is the charger.

Are there other chargers in the area to try? Level 2 or level 3 (DCFC) chargers from Chargepoint, EVgo, Electrify America?

Hopefully they have ensure the vehicle is up-to-date with all the on-board charging equipment and Infotainment system software updates.

If it fails to charge for anything with all updated software, then the socket or on-board charging equipment probably needs replacement (assuming no blown fuses).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Given that you have the ChargePoint in your garage plugged into an outlet, you should also check your breaker type. By code now (in the US), garage outlets require a GFCI breaker, but these are known to cause issues with EVSEs (which typically include a built-in GFCI). Your 120 outlets in the garage should also be GFCI, which could explain why you also had an issue with the Jaguar EVSE.

If your outlet is on a GFCI breaker, perhaps have your electrician remove the outlet and hardwire the ChargePoint (if it's the Flex, it can be wired both ways), then replace the GFCI breaker with a non-GFCI one (which is permitted when there is no outlet in the mix).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take your Chargepoint and JLR chargers with you to the dealer.
I don't know if the dealer will have an outlet to plug the Chargepoint in to. They should be able to plug in the JLR charger.
If the JLR charger fails there, then it is the charger.

Are there other chargers in the area to try? Level 2 or level 3 (DCFC) chargers from Chargepoint, EVgo, Electrify America?

Hopefully they have ensure the vehicle is up-to-date with all the on-board charging equipment and Infotainment system software updates.

If it fails to charge for anything with all updated software, then the socket or on-board charging equipment probably needs replacement (assuming no blown fuses).
As stated above, the Jaguar dealer has already verified that the car would not charge on their Charge Point level 2 charger and JLR as well as my JLR. As for commercial chargers (level 3) have not tried them.... because the dealer has verified that there is a problem with the car.... not my chargers or theirs. I need the car to charge at my home on my level 2 charger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given that you have the ChargePoint in your garage plugged into an outlet, you should also check your breaker type. By code now (in the US), garage outlets require a GFCI breaker, but these are known to cause issues with EVSEs (which typically include a built-in GFCI). Your 120 outlets in the garage should also be GFCI, which could explain why you also had an issue with the Jaguar EVSE.

If your outlet is on a GFCI breaker, perhaps have your electrician remove the outlet and hardwire the ChargePoint (if it's the Flex, it can be wired both ways), then replace the GFCI breaker with a non-GFCI one (which is permitted when there is no outlet in the mix).
Also... our electrical service is newly installed, there are no GFCI breakers or outlets on the 50 amp circuit wired specifically for the car. This arrangement has worked for months until this problem suddenly popped up.... and again, which the dealer has been able to duplicate at their shop. The problem is the car. Not my chargers, not my wiring...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joined this forum hoping to find a solution to our charge problem with a 2019 i-Pace First Edition. I'm not finding answers... I am seeing however that I am not alone. Our i-pace has only 8000 miles on it and I'm beginning to think maybe I should have given a little more thought to buying an electric car from the "prince of darkness". It's too late now...

A little background, we had new 200 amp service installed at our home prior to the i-pace purchase with a dedicated 50 amp circuit in the garage with a 6-50 outlet for the Charge Point 32amp charger to be plugged into. We bought the 2019 i-Pace First Edition used with 4000 miles for a very good price. (That should have been our first red flag). We've had a few charge glitches where the car would not start charging or would stop for no apparent reason, just to be in an "Initializing" state. A couple weeks ago this problem suddenly worsened to the point that we cannot charge at all. First, the Charge Point (Level 2) would not charge, Initializing only. But the 110 volt charger that came with the car worked over that night. The next morning we disconnected the 110 volt charger for about 30 minutes and then reconnected it.... and now it did the same thing as the Level 2 charger. Took the car to Jaguar, they could not duplicate the issue, were able to charge it. We took the car home only be in the same state. We cannot charge. I took it back to Jaguar and they kept it over night and low and behold they were now not able to charge it either, experiencing the same issue as we are. So, they installed some new software that presumably fixed the problem, and they were able to charge the car on Level 1, 2 and 3 chargers.

We picked the car up and drove it home. Of course we tested both of our chargers, the Charge Point and the 110 volt charger and the car is stuck initializing. We cannot charge!! We have tried all manner of sequences with doors closed and locked, unlocked, unplugging, restarting the charge cycle, nothing matters. There are no errors or faults from either charger.

It's going back to Jaguar today. We'll have to get a rental....
The car is back at the dealer. They have been great. This issue is not making them happy either. So they are going to keep it for 3 or 4 days and try to come up with something definitive. I'll update here if that happens and a repair is accomplished.

·
Registered
125 Posts
which the dealer has been able to duplicate at their shop
Your post was a bit unclear on this point - you wrote that they first could reproduce the issue, but then after applying updates it worked on their chargers, so thats why we were suggesting alternative things to look at.

I hope JLR gets this working for you. Their approach to many issues seems to be to just replace parts until they get the car working, which is frustratingly time-consuming, but for many people here (myself included) has been eventually successful.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
It can NEVER hurt to have your chargers with you and plug them in at the dealer and see them work or not work. It might not prove anything or maybe it will...can't hurt to try.

The GFCI would be built into the breaker (mine is) so that you have a new breaker might exactly mean it is a GFCI breaker since electric installation code requires GFCI in a garage.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
900 Posts
Anyone experiencing this issue, please read https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174465-0001.pdf

Obviously this is guidance for level 3 charging failures. We can't carry those into a dealer if there is a charging failure.

However, when the portable charger can be taken in for charging failure issue, having the charger there can eliminate the charger as the issue for our cars. It won't be a situation of "it work's here so it must be your charger" and send you on your way (whether its the vehicle of the original poster or anyone else reading this).

Not the reference to a checklist on TOPIx. I hope they are following it.

I know you need the car to charge at your home and everywhere else. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have gfci breakers anywhere in my service box. Also Jaguar has tested the charger that came with the car... it works but will not charge my car. They have the car and the charger now so they can test it again. Charge Point has reviewed the diagnostic data on their end for the level 2 charger in my garage. They see no indication of a problem. They do see however that there hasn't been much charging going on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your post was a bit unclear on this point - you wrote that they first could reproduce the issue, but then after applying updates it worked on their chargers, so thats why we were suggesting alternative things to look at.

I hope JLR gets this working for you. Their approach to many issues seems to be to just replace parts until they get the car working, which is frustratingly time-consuming, but for many people here (myself included) has been eventually successful.
I hope it is a hardware issue of some kind.... rather than software as it supposedly is 100% up to date right now.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
This issue with the broken locking pin in the charge port is a valid issue but unrelated to the people whose cars are stuck initializing the charge cycle. A broken locking pin will not even allow you to get that far...
I am sure that a broken or misaligned locking pin will allow you to get the initializing message since this happened to me not once but twice. The repair should be straight forward since error codes like POAA6, P3049-A2 followed by SSM 74274 should be detected by PathFinder. Most issues were resolved by charging socket replacement, followed by wiring harness connecting the socket to the BEM (Battery Energy Control Module), and finally if the issue remained the replacement of the BEM. I think your issue should be repaired soon since this problem has arisen numerous times. If it is one of these three components I'd bet on the wiring harness if it is intermittent. Keep us posted on the outcome always willing to learn from others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is an update... Jaguar just called us to let us know that they have again duplicated the issue. The car will not charge on any charger. They do not know what the problem is. They have opened a ticket directly with the Jaguar engineers and are now in the process of trying to determine what the problem is. While I don't have our car to drive, I see this as a good thing, that JLR recognizes the problem and are doing their best to resolve it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is an update... Jaguar just called us to let us know that they have again duplicated the issue. The car will not charge on any charger. They do not know what the problem is. They have opened a ticket directly with the Jaguar engineers and are now in the process of trying to determine what the problem is. While I don't have our car to drive, I see this as a good thing, that JLR recognizes the problem and are doing their best to resolve it.
I am sure that a broken or misaligned locking pin will allow you to get the initializing message since this happened to me not once but twice. The repair should be straight forward since error codes like POAA6, P3049-A2 followed by SSM 74274 should be detected by PathFinder. Most issues were resolved by charging socket replacement, followed by wiring harness connecting the socket to the BEM (Battery Energy Control Module), and finally if the issue remained the replacement of the BEM. I think your issue should be repaired soon since this problem has arisen numerous times. If it is one of these three components I'd bet on the wiring harness if it is intermittent. Keep us posted on the outcome always willing to learn from others.
Actually the charge port was replaced at about 4000 miles for a locking pin failure. That's not to say that the charge port is in some way part of the issue now.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
521 Posts
Actually the charge port was replaced at about 4000 miles for a locking pin failure. That's not to say that the charge port is in some way part of the issue now.
Any indication of why/how the locking pin failed on your car. Mine went suddenly, with no warning. Just curious if you got any feedback, or could highlight what happened prior to or after failing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What JLR told me was that the first generation of charge ports were defective, weak pins. The part was re-engineered and that is what supposedly was installed in my car. There was no other detail than that. Sorry. I can say that the failure was sudden though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another update: JLR called us this afternoon. They believe with a high degree of certainty that the problem is an intermittent open connection in the charge port or the wiring harness from the port. They do not know exactly where that problem is. They have a charge port and a wiring harness on order expecting it Monday or Tuesday. They estimate it will take up to 4 days to change out these parts and test for proper function. This wiring harness change is rather involved we are told. Apparently the open connection is not just a matter of something loose, but rather a fault in the port or the harness. So, again, I will take this as good news. I certainly appreciate their hard work on this! They hope to have it back to us by Thursday or Friday (Nov 5 or 6).

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I believe the way it worked when my harness was replaced that the car must be powered down before work can commence. Then the technician shared pictures of the tear down of the left fender and other parts strewn all over the floor to access the wiring harness going to the BEM. Rather shocking to see all the parts that had to be removed on a car that I owned only for 4 months. End result was the car was reassembled and no one would ever know of the tear down. This process does take time so be patient. I am still surprised this diagnosis had to have an open ticket. Let us know the final verdict when your car returns. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts