Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
2,771 Posts
My I-Pace steering assist only works with both my hands on the wheel at ~ 8 & 4o'clock.
You sure? In my case, when I use steering assist and ACC it will complain if I haven't torqued the steering wheel for 20 sec. Applying a small amount of torque to the steering wheel, regardless of hand position, (1) before the 20 sec are up will extend by another 20 sec (2) after it starts complaining will stop its complaining

·
Registered
226 Posts
You sure? In my case, when I use steering assist and ACC it will complain if I haven't torqued the steering wheel for 20 sec. Applying a small amount of torque to the steering wheel, regardless of hand position, (1) before the 20 sec are up will extend by another 20 sec (2) after it starts complaining will stop its complaining
That's how it works for me in both the I Pace and the Velar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Although it is useless to me, because it makes you keep both hands on the sides of the steering wheel. It is much more comfortable, to just put one hand on top of the wheel and cut the steering assist off.
You don’t have to actually keep your hands on the wheel. All the system is looking for is a bit of torque to be applied to the wheel contrary to the direction the car is headed. I often do longer highway drives with my hands in my lap or on my knees and ever so slightly adjust the wheel left or right just a fraction of an inch. This resets the timer before the car will start chirping to put your hands back on the wheel. You can also nudge it with your knee (as I learned back when I was a kid that I could drive my 1980 Honda Civic, shift gears, and talk on my StarTac 3000 cell phone and eat a slice of pizza all at the same time back before the laws changed) which also tricks the car into thinking you have your hands on the wheel.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts