Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've seen multiple posts on steering assist, that you need to enable acc and then press the orange dotted line button. But I never seem to be able to do this, the steering assist won't engage.
Do i even have it? I've read that it is included in the driver assist pack in 2020 or later and i should have that in my 2020.
Anyone know anything about it? I'm quite new to EV's and newer car tech.

·
Registered
2020 S Fuji White
29 Posts
It is annoying because the sequence is not clear or intuitive. I think I have to engage the lane keep, also the speed limiter and then you press and hold the set button for cruise control. Whatever is right sequence you will see it register the lanes in green and then the steering light goes green as well.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,419 Posts
The first thing to do is to use the instrument panel menu (thumbwheel stuff), scroll across to Driver Assistance menu (if there) and enable options as you choose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi
I've seen multiple posts on steering assist, that you need to enable acc and then press the orange dotted line button. But I never seem to be able to do this, the steering assist won't engage.
Do i even have it? I've read that it is included in the driver assist pack in 2020 or later and i should have that in my 2020.
Anyone know anything about it? I'm quite new to EV's and newer car tech.
If you have the heating steering wheel, you do not have steering assist. That's for sure, and that's a pity. The only thing you have is LKA (lane Keep Assist), which bumps from one side of the road to the other. SA (Steering Assist, aka Lane Assist) doesn't exist anymore since the 2021 I-pace.

(november 2020 bulletin:
Option 065AP adaptive cruise control
For all 21MY, 21.25MY and 21.5MY vehicles, <...> The adaptive cruise control with steering assistance is therefore no longer available until further notice for
vehicles for which only 065AP is available. The legally required hands-on detection function for the
required by law for Adaptive Cruise Control with Steering Assist cannot be combined with the steering wheel heating function.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have the heating steering wheel, you do not have steering assist. That's for sure, and that's a pity. The only thing you have is LKA (lane Keep Assist), which bumps from one side of the road to the other. SA (Steering Assist, aka Lane Assist) doesn't exist anymore since the 2021 I-pace.

(november 2020 bulletin:
Option 065AP adaptive cruise control
For all 21MY, 21.25MY and 21.5MY vehicles, <...> The adaptive cruise control with steering assistance is therefore no longer available until further notice for
vehicles for which only 065AP is available. The legally required hands-on detection function for the
required by law for Adaptive Cruise Control with Steering Assist cannot be combined with the steering wheel heating function.)
My 2020 has heated steering wheel and steering assist. I think the bulletin you cited applies to 2021 cars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are two different indicators: LKA is signaled by a two parallel dotted lines symbol, and SA by a steering wheel symbol. You can switch between these modes with the steering wheel button, but SA must be enabled first in the menu to become available.
SA, once enabled, the car basically follows the road. LKA only prevents you from leaving the road by pushing you back when you cross a continuous line, thus swerving on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are two different indicators: LKA is signaled by a two parallel dotted lines symbol, and SA by a steering wheel symbol. You can switch between these modes with the steering wheel button, but SA must be enabled first in the menu to become available.
SA, once enabled, the car basically follows the road. LKA only prevents you from leaving the road by pushing you back when you cross a continuous line, thus swerving on the road.
I guess I don't have it then, oh well sorry for all the fuzz guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm still discussing (or suing, call it what you wantj the dealer for lying about this point. She didn't know, she said, but well, that's the only question I asked: does it have the auto pilot like all other cars, even my old Seat? Yes yes of course, it's a premium car of a premium brand (sing it on 'I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world') ;))
So yes I'm unhappy she could just lie to me. She is the region chief JLR vendor of the biggest dealer in Switzerland, so I consider she could at least read the bulletin board, and vaguely know the products.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I bought my car, it was a "demo". When I asked what options come with it, the vendor gave me a two pages long list of options based on the VIN, he said. I guess there is a JLR server or web site where you can type inthe VIN and get the full list of options attached to the car. I don't remember if "topix" can do that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The thing is, it is difficult to understand what all these designations mean, and to compare them with other options... I guess it's the dealer's job to know each of these small parts...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Dealers suck. Every dealer sucks for every brand. It's just life.

I think the I-Pace steering assist is excellent. I like it more than "Autopilot" 19/20ths of the time. In the end, though, I tend to use neither. If I did a lot of traffic, both are about the same.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have found my Steering Assist to be junk on two lane roads with side and center markings, bouncing back and forth between the lines or running off the road in a curve. But for some reason it seems to work fine on a 70mph freeway. Although it is useless to me, because it makes you keep both hands on the sides of the steering wheel. It is much more comfortable, to just put one hand on top of the wheel and cut the steering assist off. As for those who say you need to put your hands on the sides of the wheel to get them out of the way of the airbag going off in an accident, I have this insight, I have been in 2 headon collisions where I was the driver. In one collision, my hand was at the top of the wheel, the air bag flung it away into upper space with no injuries to me. The other headon I had, my hands were at 8 and 4 on the wheel. The airbag threw my left hand into the drivers door and it's levers. Had problems afterward with my ballooning hand. Keep your 1 hand on top of the wheel.

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
I use ACC with Steering Assist all the time, on the freeway and on relatively straight stretches of two lane road such as 120 going east from Manteca. Yes it doesn't work great in curves that are just slightly more than slightly curved but most of the time it's great. I learned to trust the accel / decel of the ACC, and gently guide the left / right of the Steering Assist. I even have a more relaxed "cruise" seating position programmed into the seat memory for those times. It's awesome, I love it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I rarely use the Steering Assist on the I Pace since it's our short/medium range car, but on the Velar (same system), it's handy on the interstate or turnpike for a break on long trips. If the road is clear and well marked and traffic is light, I trust it enough to rummage around for a snack or a drink or glance (and I mean a very quick look) at my phone to see if I need to pull over to respond to an email.

Although it is useless to me, because it makes you keep both hands on the sides of the steering wheel.
That isn't my experience (at least on the Velar). I can place one hand anywhere on the wheel as long as I make a slight steering input every 30 seconds or so. I can even do so with my knee if I need both hands (e.g., to open a snack bag).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts