Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to assess what the current capacity of the battery is vs. its new capacity or is this only a dealer thing? This was possible in my i3 and I believe it's possible in Leafs as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've driven the car for about a week. In WattCat and on the Preconditioning screen I get a battery health of 98%. I'm curious to hear what the state of owners batteries are over time. Are you seeing much degradation over time?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Please not SOH is a guess, so don’t fret about 97/98/99, mine is at 99. We don’t have enough time and cycles to know how the chemistry, thermal management and other factors will impact I Pace but I wouldn’t expect to see any significant degradation in the first 2 years anyway. I know my Nissan Leaf (much more primitive chemistry and almost no thermal management) only showed 4 percent degradation over 2 years and 25k miles, I expect less from I Pace.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Please not SOH is a guess, so don’t fret about 97/98/99, mine is at 99. We don’t have enough time and cycles to know how the chemistry, thermal management and other factors will impact I Pace but I wouldn’t expect to see any significant degradation in the first 2 years anyway. I know my Nissan Leaf (much more primitive chemistry and almost no thermal management) only showed 4 percent degradation over 2 years and 25k miles, I expect less from I Pace.
I don't disagree with this if you have a good battery ... but that doesn't mean that you cannot have a bad battery, and it's possible that whatever metric they use to calculate their SoH, if it drops it may be a signal for a degrading battery. I'm not advocating paranoia, but awareness is a good thing for us early adopters.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't disagree with this if you have a good battery ... but that doesn't mean that you cannot have a bad battery, and it's possible that whatever metric they use to calculate their SoH, if it drops it may be a signal for a degrading battery. I'm not advocating paranoia, but awareness is a good thing for us early adopters.
Very good point, but I believe as you observed even a single pack failure will essentially disable a pack, which would show up as a large sudden drop in capacity, not a loss of 5% or so. Depending on the battery configuration that may be a 20/30/40% sudden loss and should be apparent from the actual usable miles from a full charge (ignoring temperature and other variances).

Also I believe the SOH report will suddenly drop. Did you ever see a SOH percent with a bad battery?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Probably would be good to share your numbers from WattCat.

I have over 14K miles in 10 months. And, mine is still showing 100%.

I do pretty much ALWAYS charge only to 75-80% - and only to 100% when I need it and plan to use it tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts