Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically, Tesla aside, any car I've owned you get in, put your foot on the break and press 'start' to start the car and then drive away. It seems on the I-Pace the first push of the start button only brings up a screen of the car in the IC with the drive system not yet active. The second push of the start button with your foot on the brake does start the car.

So is the correct or did I fail the 'I-Pace 101' course and am doing something really dumb? ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only thing different I have noticed is there may be a slight delay. When you push the start, you are "ON", hit D or R depending on how you parked and go. The only problem I noticed is when in a hurry, I hit D to quick and it didn't engage and I was still in P. Also, I came to IPACE from a BMW so several times without thinking, I didn't realize it was on.. No Engine noise. Hopefully that answers your question. Now one last thing, there could be a feature in your set up that may delay this, I would need to re-check, I dont remember anything that should hold you up, but it is a computer soooo.

Reactions: CurtSprings2

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the strange thing, I do hit start and it just brings up the picture of the car. The 2nd press does what you'd think the first press would. Of course in both cases I have my foot on the brake, otherwise you'd just be in accessory position. I'll have to look at it again and if this is the ongoing behavior, I'll look into the manual for an answer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, that's the strange thing, I do hit start and it just brings up the picture of the car. The 2nd press does what you'd think the first press would. Of course in both cases I have my foot on the brake, otherwise you'd just be in accessory position. I'll have to look at it again and if this is the ongoing behavior, I'll look into the manual for an answer.
One press of the Start button should turn the car On and "Ready" will illuminate in green on the instrument panel.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curt, that's what I would have thought. I'll need to look at it again after my electrician leaves. But this morning I got into the locked car in the garage, pressed firmly on the brake, hit the start and got the picture of the car in the IC. Second press turned it on.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ken: I have noticed the start button is a bit “touchy” are you using a firm single press? Because the Jaguar logo will come up when the car ”wakes up” even before the start events happen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you foot is on the break, one press starts the car. How do you know it is not? Did you press D or R then try to drive before the second press of the start button?

I do have a question. When I first get into the car and put my foot on the break, most time the break pedal is very stiff and only after press the start button then my foot can apply the pressure to press the break pedal down. But other time I can apply the break normally before pressing the start button. Did you all have the same experience? Is this normal and why? Thanks.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken: I have noticed the start button is a bit “touchy” are you using a firm single press? Because the Jaguar logo will come up when the car ”wakes up” even before the start events happen.
Yup. Just went back to the car and I think that was the issue, not hitting the start button firmly and long enough.

I shall now hang my head In shame.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you foot is on the break, one press starts the car. How do you know it is not? Did you press D or R then try to drive before the second press of the start button?

I do have a question. When I first get into the car and put my foot on the break, most time the break pedal is very stiff and only after press the start button then my foot can apply the pressure to press the break pedal down. But other time I can apply the break normally before pressing the start button. Did you all have the same experience? Is this normal and why? Thanks.
Yes, mine does that too, but I think all cars I’ve owned behave like that.

In my case the car was definitely not on, I tried shifting. But it was OE (operator error). :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I first get into the car and put my foot on the break, most time the break pedal is very stiff and only after press the start button then my foot can apply the pressure to press the break pedal down. But other time I can apply the break normally before pressing the start button. Did you all have the same experience? Is this normal and why? Thanks.
I also have the exact same behavior. Sometime the break pedal is stiff, something, more marshmallow. When it is stiff, I have to press twice, otherwise one press is ok. I can't figure out a pattern.
Usually, when I start, I let the system to fully boot, having all screen, map, info... displayed properly on the infotainment screen and the dash screen, before engaging the D or R. If I don't do that, I may have strange behavior in the infotainment system: black screen, or rear camera stuck on screen, or impossible to reset the A or B counters, etc... When I let the system boot properly, I have 0 problem afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear WUXYJJ, mine does the exact same think ponctually. No clue why. It is like a residual pressure on the brake system that disappear when the car is started and the brake system get into function.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
672 Posts

I was going to ask about the brake pedal. Most of the time my brake pedal pedal feels normal (soft in a good way), but randomly the pedal will be rock hard when starting. I always think it won't start, since the brake pedal is so hard, I physically cannot push it down....but it starts.

Btw, when I put my foot on the brake, it takes 1 push only of the start button to start the car. I have NEVER once had to push the Start button 2x to start my I-Pace.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Press the break and firmly press the start button, you will hear a different chime .
Its best for the infotainment to fully boot before moving, especially reversing.
A way to help it boot faster is to unlock with the key instead of pressing the button on the handle. It is also said that opening the passenger door first will help the boot time.

You have the 360 camera option so booting fully is essential.
If you turn on the car and just reverse, you wont get the full 360 camera function.

This is reverse without proper boot up

This is reverse with proper boot up

PS If you notice the Start button is pulsing like a heart beat before you turn on the car

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used to have the car not getting into Drive mode after pushing the Start button with foot on brake issue, but ever since I changed my behavior slightly and don't lift my foot off the brake till I see the car in D after pressing the button firmly I have had no issues.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
450 Posts
I also have the exact same behavior. Sometime the break pedal is stiff, something, more marshmallow. When it is stiff, I have to press twice, otherwise one press is ok. I can't figure out a pattern.
Usually, when I start, I let the system to fully boot, having all screen, map, info... displayed properly on the infotainment screen and the dash screen, before engaging the D or R. If I don't do that, I may have strange behavior in the infotainment system: black screen, or rear camera stuck on screen, or impossible to reset the A or B counters, etc... When I let the system boot properly, I have 0 problem afterwards.
Agree totally.
1) Stiff or soft, press the brake and continue pressing as the car initially starts up.
2) Foot off brake, wait for infotainment to fully load (put on seat belt, adjust mirror, glasses, audio, say a daily prayer for safe driving, etc), and THEN select D or R. Occasionally the infotainment is very slow to boot - be patient.
3) Enjoy the drive.

No problems the last 6 months.🙂

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I remember years ago when Jaguar introduced the Heart Beat Start button. They actually had a TV commercial. Gimmicky but cool. Even more gimmicky...our Audi R8 has an actual heartbeat sound/tone piped in the car. Silly, but fun!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Press the break and firmly press the start button, you will hear a different chime .
Its best for the infotainment to fully boot before moving, especially reversing.
A way to help it boot faster is to unlock with the key instead of pressing the button on the handle. It is also said that opening the passenger door first will help the boot time.

You have the 360 camera option so booting fully is essential.
If you turn on the car and just reverse, you wont get the full 360 camera function.

This is reverse without proper boot up View attachment 3823

This is reverse with proper boot up
View attachment 3824

PS If you notice the Start button is pulsing like a heart beat before you turn on the car
I have 360 camera, but when I put into R...I get the main pic on the left with the yellow lines, I get the pic on the far right, but I have never gotten the top view.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ken, it happens to me too. Sometimes 1 push of the start button turns everything on and puts the car in Ready state, and other times it just turns on the screen and I have to push the start button a second time. None of this has anything to do with how soon after that you push Drive or Reverse since this is all before you do that. I always have my foot on the brake when pressing Start so it's not that either. The only thing it could be is how long I keep the Start button pressed down. I will try that when I get back to driving more and see if that eliminates the issue for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts