Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Firenze Red SE, 9/2019 Build
64 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. You just want to drive the car you bought. I wonder if it is worth a shot to replace the wiring harness and see if that fixes your issue while you wait for the new motor? Not sure the harness would affect the motor speed difference issue, but hey maybe it's worth a shot.

As far as the gas goes, you do have a pretty nice loaner and the miles you put on the loaner presumably mean less miles on the I-Pace from a wear and tear perspective. From a strictly money perspective, the reimbursement rate per mile on a vehicle is $0.56/mile for business related travel. If you look at that as a savings on not driving your I-Pace, it adds up pretty quickly if you drive much. Again, I understand your desire to just have your I-Pace back. Maybe this information makes you feel a little better about buying the gas, maybe not.

Good luck in either case!
Thanks. I do really want MY I-Pace back. I don’t like driving this thing. BUT it’s better than nothing or something less desirable. I am lucky to have it. I’m about to make my next car payment and I know my car is just sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
Thanks. I do really want MY I-Pace back. I don’t like driving this thing. BUT it’s better than nothing or something less desirable. I am lucky to have it. I’m about to make my next car payment and I know my car is just sitting on the lot.
See if your service person will try the harness fix like @rcomeau suggested and you might be surprised! I understand that payment feeling with the car in the shop...

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
9/8/2021 Update:
Received a VM from my service advisor that repairs were done. He asked permission to keep the car a little longer to verify that everything was working properly. He didn’t leave any details though. When I called he didn’t answer so I left a message. I said I’d rather it be done right so I wouldn’t have to go back. I checked the app and saw that they drove it approx 20 miles.

I called today twice and had no answer. I asked about getting a HV battery health report in my message today. We’ll see if that happens. They drove my car about 90 miles today. Is this normal to have very little communication? I would really like to know what they actually found wrong and what they did to repair it so I can share with the group. I’m sorry to say this but my BMW experience with service has been much more insightful.

Hopefully I’ll hear back tomorrow and get to pick up my car soon.

side note: on 8/30 the dealership charged me for returning a loan car without fueling it up even though I still have it. Took me calling several times today again to get that remedied.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I got the stability control error (but no decreased driving) not in my I Pace but my ‘20 Defender. It started occurring after an OTA update, and the dealer said they had to manually update the body control module. I had them fix all the other service bulletin issues I had noticed too, so now everything is just ducky.

·
Registered
64 Posts
9/11/2021 update:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share my experience and what I gathered from my service technician. Talked directly to the main technician for about 20 mins yesterday. He explained a number of things about my particular case. In no particular order:
-ran and updated software diagnostics
-couldn’t replicate until one of the employees was going about 70 on the highway and car locked up.
-clocked that the 2 motors were out of sync and rear motor would lock up because it didn’t know what to do.
-he explained that it is possible that my front motor was just a bad one that happened to be installed in my car (lucky me).
-replaced HV cabling (from Egypt via UK) along with various other parts and ordered a new front motor (~$16K dealer cost for the part. Not including shipping.)
-when they opened the crate, a forklift driver punched a hole in the crate and damaged one of the couplings and gaskets for one of the wires. My tech didn’t want to repair that mistake so that it wouldn’t be a problem in the future.
-ordered another front motor from the UK. (Another $16K+…glad it’s under warranty)
-installed new parts after it took ~3 weeks for another motor to arrive.
-tested car at various times of the day and drove it a net of ~160 miles

The technician said that he’s only seen this instance twice in person; my car and at school when he was getting I-Pace training. Apparently that car’s motors were going opposite of each other…yikes. He said he’s heard of 6 instances ever of the motors being out of sync. When I asked about his opinion about reliability he said that they rarely see I-Paces in the shop. Right now there’s one in for A/C and they’ve had another one in for sound system probs. When I asked about the HV battery and the 12V and the TCU, he said that if the HV cells fail, he’d replace the car. I assume he means out of warranty. I mentioned seeing the pack being taken out and replaced online and he said that’s a BIG job. I know a few of you have had cells replaced so hopefully you’ll all be good in the future. He gave me a HV battery health report with the battery at ~78% charge. 94% or 95% on each of the 36 cells. My TCU was reading 50% and he told me that it would be back once I drive it more and charge it more regularly.

I’m attaching my service notes. Good luck to you all.

I immediately felt better getting inside my own car that was Hand Washed. The service tech told me that I could request that in the future to make sure I don’t have any probs with my PPF in the future. Great to know in Frisco, TX. The superior steering, driving position, throttle response and overall driving experience was immediately felt compared to the Disco Sport I’ve had the last 2 months.
Font Material property Publication Parallel Paper

Font Material property Paper Parallel Paper product

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
9/11/2021 update:
View attachment 5984
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share my experience and what I gathered from my service technician. Talked directly to the main technician for about 20 mins yesterday. He explained a number of things about my particular case. In no particular order:
-ran and updated software diagnostics
-couldn’t replicate until one of the employees was going about 70 on the highway and car locked up.
-clocked that the 2 motors were out of sync and rear motor would lock up because it didn’t know what to do.
-he explained that it is possible that my front motor was just a bad one that happened to be installed in my car (lucky me).
-replaced HV cabling (from Egypt via UK) along with various other parts and ordered a new front motor (~$16K dealer cost for the part. Not including shipping.)
-when they opened the crate, a forklift driver punched a hole in the crate and damaged one of the couplings and gaskets for one of the wires. My tech didn’t want to repair that mistake so that it wouldn’t be a problem in the future.
-ordered another front motor from the UK. (Another $16K+…glad it’s under warranty)
-installed new parts after it took ~3 weeks for another motor to arrive.
-tested car at various times of the day and drove it a net of ~160 miles

The technician said that he’s only seen this instance twice in person; my car and at school when he was getting I-Pace training. Apparently that car’s motors were going opposite of each other…yikes. He said he’s heard of 6 instances ever of the motors being out of sync. When I asked about his opinion about reliability he said that they rarely see I-Paces in the shop. Right now there’s one in for A/C and they’ve had another one in for sound system probs. When I asked about the HV battery and the 12V and the TCU, he said that if the HV cells fail, he’d replace the car. I assume he means out of warranty. I mentioned seeing the pack being taken out and replaced online and he said that’s a BIG job. I know a few of you have had cells replaced so hopefully you’ll all be good in the future. He gave me a HV battery health report with the battery at ~78% charge. 94% or 95% on each of the 36 cells. My TCU was reading 50% and he told me that it would be back once I drive it more and charge it more regularly.

I’m attaching my service notes. Good luck to you all.

I immediately felt better getting inside my own car that was Hand Washed. The service tech told me that I could request that in the future to make sure I don’t have any probs with my PPF in the future. Great to know in Frisco, TX. The superior steering, driving position, throttle response and overall driving experience was immediately felt compared to the Disco Sport I’ve had the last 2 months.
View attachment 5982
View attachment 5983
Great to hear a positive outcome. Hope you many years of happy driving ahead.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts