Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Speed Limiter "logic"

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  LowOnCash 
#1 ·
So I need help here. I am relatively tech savvy, not a total idiot, yes the function of the speed limiter is a mystery to me. So when I just turn it on and its orange it pretty much tells me I am going too fast and tries to prevent me from speeding up at ANY speed (even when it shows the speed limit detected at 50 it complains at 35). And then when its green for auto speed it doesn't seem to always drop the speed when the speed limit changes. I understand it won't go up, but doesn't always go down. And btw it ALWAYS turns on when you set cruise.

So I am not even sure what action causes which mode to turn on (orange or green), and I don't understand if its just not working properly for the non cruise mode.

Anyone else? Any tips? Insights?

#2 ·
I accidentally turned it on when I was first attempting to try the cruise control.

It definitely kept me from accelerating past the speed I had 'set' for it (not on purpose), until I gave it a lot of pedal.

I gave up on trying the cruise control until I finally realized I had toggled on the speed limiter as I could tell by the graphic light on the dash display. It's toggled on/off with the button by the set and +/- control. I suspect you also have it accidentally on. If so, turning it off returns the set speed to the cruise control function instead of the set speed limit.

#3 ·
According to the manual the limiter only forces the vehicle to stay below the selected speed perhaps as a method for the driver to not accidentally go over the limit. The adaptive speed limiter is supposed to read speed limit signs and keep the driver under the limit even as the limit changes.

I think it's a useless feature that confused me too the first time I wanted to engage the cruise control.

#12 ·
According to the manual the limiter only forces the vehicle to stay below the selected speed perhaps as a method for the driver to not accidentally go over the limit. The adaptive speed limiter is supposed to read speed limit signs and keep the driver under the limit even as the limit changes.

I think it's a useless feature that confused me too the first time I wanted to engage the cruise control.
All cars I have seen that have sign recognition delay “activating” the display until you pass by the sign. You are probably correct that it is a guess on when to kick it by distance.
Its actually simple - it reads the sign then when it disappears from the front camera it activates the change!

#4 · (Edited)
Speed limiter: This is best activated by driving the maximum speed you want to be limited to, press the LIM button, then toggle the speed control (silver thing) to the SET+ position. That is now the speed to which you can drive before the car complains of you speeding.

Once you've done that, you can increase/decrease the limit in 5 mph increase by press and holding the speed control up/down. A quick toggle will adjust it 1 mph increments.

The CANCEL button will cancel it. RES (push in on silver thing) resumes its operation.

Adaptive speed limiting: Press the LIM button. If speed limiter is displayed, press the CANCEL button. Toggle the silver thing to the SET+ position, or press in on it (RES). This will activate the adaptive speed limiter.
You can use the RES to increase/decrease the rate of acceleration/deceleration has it accelerates/decelerates.

CANCEL will cancel it and RES/SET+ will resume it. Use the SET+/- to adjust the detected speed if needed.

Adaptive cruise control (if the car is so equipped): Without LIM lit up, activate by pressing the speed control to SET+. LIM will light up green. Use the buttons to the side of the silver thing to increase/decrease the gap allowed.

CANCEL will cancel it and RES will resume. SET+ will reactivate it too at whatever speed you're driving at the moment.

The brake pedal can also be used to cancel any of these.

As for speed sign recognition, it doesn't do too well in school speed zones since it has no idea if the speed applies at that time of day, or other conditions. Signs around here say "School speed zone during restricted hours." I've never found an official definition of "restricted hours." It also does recognize when the zone ends.

It has also mistaken an off ramp speed limit for the speed limit of the main highway. That could cause a catastrophic accident with someone close behind in a 70mph zone and it suddenly decides to do 45 (or less).

That's why I don't use adaptive speed control but I do use adaptive cruise control.

More information, including limits of capabilities, in the owner's manual and iGuide.

#7 ·
One thing I've noticed about the automatic speed limit display is that it only changes as of passing the sign. I guess that is a perfect performance, but I wonder how it happens. Side camera viewing, or would it be a speed/distance calculation? The former, probably.

#10 ·
I have yet to receive my Ipace but I have seen enough videos and read enough forums to get at least some idea of what my future holds with the EV400. 'Ayepace' gave a great description in the 'Speed Limiter Logic' thread, I'm sure it will assist those trying to get their heads around this feature of the vehicle. I can't help but feel that todays autonomous vehicles are not quite autonomous enough. Nothing beats good old fashioned concentration and caution when it comes to driving and relying on computers to keep you safe is not without risk. Aircraft have been autonomous for decades, but pilots still look out the windscreen, a lot. I recall the early 90's and using DOS commands on my PC, then along came windows. Ah, simple, just one click and things worked (most of the time). I cant help but feel that manufacturers have gone backwards a little as we are so used to just one click. This old mind might not have the room to absorb all this new tech, all I want to do is drive.

#11 ·
I have yet to receive my I-Pace but I have seen enough videos and read enough forums to get at least some idea of what my future holds with the EV400. 'Ayepace' gave a great description in the 'Speed Limiter Logic' thread, I'm sure it will assist those trying to get their heads around this feature of the vehicle. I can't help but feel that today's autonomous vehicles are not quite autonomous enough. Nothing beats good old fashioned concentration and caution when it comes to driving and relying on computers to keep you safe is not without risk. Aircraft have been autonomous for decades, but pilots still look out the windscreen, a lot. I recall the early 90's and using DOS commands on my PC, then along came windows. Ah, simple, just one click and things worked (most of the time). I cant help but feel that manufacturers have gone backwards a little as we are so used to just one click. This old mind might not have the room to absorb all this new tech, all I want to do is drive.
Hey Rusty. I'm a bit on that side of the calendar as well. I've been working in tech for 50 years so have seen the full gamut of development. For me, the I-Pace represents a pinnacle of consumer technology which is a part reason why I had to have one.

Maybe the developers went a bit too far trying to give the most functionality as they could. The result is a UI that is overly complex but with perseverence, you will get to know it well enough to appreciate it. I simply choose not to use the speed limiter function.

After a few weeks, I can find my around the infotainment/car function screens pretty well. Not perfect but it can only get better.

For those contemplating the purchase of a new I-Pace, I can't emphasise enough to go for it. After stepping into the I-Pace from a Porsche Macan I have a good reference. It's a drivers car period. It feels great inside and out for me. I'm very lucky to be able to afford this fantastic vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.