Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been trying to get our home WiFi linked to my new I-Pace for over a week now. Nope! :(

The car will (after 10-15 mins of searching) eventually find our home WiFi name & display it on the main info screen, but no matter how long waiting (hours!!), it will not connect with the password. We have tried car on, just acc, car off, car in garage, car in driveway... nothing.

We have a lot of interference with electronics in/near our garage, so WiFi not working is not a new situation for us.

I just got an email from AT&T letting me know that my free 4G trial for the car is ending in a week. I know $20/month is not much, but I just feel annoyed paying $20 a month for the car's 4G connection.

What are my reliable/safe options for doing SOTA going forward, without using our home's WiFi? Since I have H264 and 19C, I would like to be able to take advantage of SOTA, I just have no clue how.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found that I had to add a guest network to my wifi and use a very simple password to make it work. Before I had %% and && in my password, once removed then it worked. You could probably even just set up a guest wifi that is only turned on when you want to use it for your car. Another option is extending a more reliable wifi to your garage. You can also set up a wireless hotspot with your cellular service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
... Another option is extending a more reliable wifi to your garage. ....
Having a house with a long floor plan, a couple of years ago I started using a WiFi mesh network in the house with 3 mesh points: The main one connected to the internet is near the center of the house, there is one placer closer to the garage, and another one closer to our bed/bath area. This solved all of the WiFi connectivity problems in our house and garage. (This became more important when I switched a lot of our lighting/AC/etc to WiFi control via Alexa).

The nice thing with a mesh network is that all of the WiFi points appear to be a single WiFi to your devices. Your devices will seamlessly and quietly just switch to using the signal that is strongest.

It's not a cheap option but it's a one-time cost solution if you have connectivity issues with any other devices in your home that you are tired of dealing with. I use a NetGear Orbi and it has been super reliable and low maintenance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I found that I had to add a guest network to my wifi and use a very simple password to make it work. Before I had %% and && in my password, once removed then it worked. You could probably even just set up a guest wifi that is only turned on when you want to use it for your car. Another option is extending a more reliable wifi to your garage. You can also set up a wireless hotspot with your cellular service.
Putting an IOT device like your car on your guest wifi is a good security practice, too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So, I have been trying to get our home WiFi linked to my new I-Pace for over a week now. Nope! :(

The car will (after 10-15 mins of searching) eventually find our home WiFi name & display it on the main info screen, but no matter how long waiting (hours!!), it will not connect with the password. We have tried car on, just acc, car off, car in garage, car in driveway... nothing.

We have a lot of interference with electronics in/near our garage, so WiFi not working is not a new situation for us.

I just got an email from AT&T letting me know that my free 4G trial for the car is ending in a week. I know $20/month is not much, but I just feel annoyed paying $20 a month for the car's 4G connection.

What are my reliable/safe options for doing SOTA going forward, without using our home's WiFi? Since I have H264 and 19C, I would like to be able to take advantage of SOTA, I just have no clue how.

Thanks so much!
TCU updates can use Wifi, personal SIM, or the Internal SIM (which is part of the TCU). So you don't have to worry about Telematics
For the Infotainment system, you need a Wifi connection or a personal SIM to take advantage. If you don't want to use your home wifi, you can use your phone hot spot, or you can try a third party wifi location. Jaguar has noted that some third party locations (like restaurant wifi) won't work due to an extra layer. Otherwise, consider an inexpensive SIM.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS for all the replies.

If I do not renew the AT&T 4G the dealer activated the day I took delivery, do I just leave the SIM card they installed in the center console in the slot, or should I remove it?

Will not renewing the 4G service have any negative affect on my car's systems or performance?

I will look into using my iPhones hot spot, although being honest...I have never done this. It seems many of you love tech, gadgets, fiddling and playing with this kind of stuff. I find it dreadful, painful and frustrating ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
THANKS for all the replies.

If I do not renew the AT&T 4G the dealer activated the day I took delivery, do I just leave the SIM card they installed in the center console in the slot, or should I remove it?

Will not renewing the 4G service have any negative affect on my car's systems or performance?

I will look into using my iPhones hot spot, although being honest...I have never done this. It seems many of you love tech, gadgets, fiddling and playing with this kind of stuff. I find it dreadful, painful and frustrating ;)

You can use your Iphone as the hotsspot to replace the SIM you have from AT&T once your trial ends.

Not sure if you use the Deezer in the Online Media, but that would be the only reason I would need the sim

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can use your Iphone as the hotsspot to replace the SIM you have from AT&T once your trial ends.

Not sure if you use the Deezer in the Online Media, but that would be the only reason I would need the sim
I've never used Deezer.

If I don't renew the AT&T 4G, should I just leave the SIM card installed from the dealer?

Letting the car's 4G expire will not have any negative effects on the car?

The dealer won't try one of their infamous...."Well, since you let the 4G expire, this is why xyx system is not functioning"? :-O

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
I've never used Deezer.

If I don't renew the AT&T 4G, should I just leave the SIM card installed from the dealer?

Letting the car's 4G expire will not have any negative effects on the car?

The dealer won't try one of their infamous...."Well, since you let the 4G expire, this is why xyx system is not functioning"? :-O
I took that SIM card out the day I took delivery

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the hot spot using my iPhone 11. NOPE! Dang, it seems my car will not do WiFi from the house or via my phone. The dealer cannot explain it either.

It looks like I might be shelling out $20 a month for the stupid AT&T 4G the car came with.

Or I can just never do SOTA, and take it to the dealer every time. Much better chances of getting software updated correctly, but a major pain in the a**.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
You should take the car in and have them show you it working on their WiFi. If they can't, that a problem they should fix (or work w/ corporate to get it fixed). It could be a bad antenna wire, or a busted telematics unit.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Super bizarre. Just picked up my son from the bus stop and when I pulled back into the garage, I noticed a WiFi symbol on the main Infotainment screen :-O

I have been trying to get WiFi active on my I-Pace for over a week, and now it pops up on its own. Stranger...it is our backup WiFi that uses a super encrypted & difficult password, whereas our main WiFi we use, has an much easier password. I guess my Jag likes complicated, LOL!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Similar thing happened to me the first time I tried to share my iPhone as a hotspot for the I-Pace. Car kept saying the password I was entering was incorrect for the phone sharing, even though I had it showing on the phone right in front of me. So I gave up and on a different day I tried again and it connected to the phone without asking for the password again, thereby validating the password was right all along and has connected fine since. Finicky I-Pace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW on my other car (Volvo) you cannot connect to a WiFi network that supports WPA or WEP. Even if the network supports WPA2. This is because there are ways to force connections into WPA mode and at that point a remote intruder can decrypt your WIFI in seconds. In order to get the car to connect to the network I had to disable WPA and WEP and tell is WPA2 only. Perhaps something similar is going on with Jaguar?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts